Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #1

Exclamation RV as Emergency Vehicle...

Allow me to open a discussion that I think will be useful.

I have always wondered if in case of emergency our vehicles (especially class A) can be a valid solution.

For example, in the event of a hurricane, earthquake, flood, etc ... is it really possible to save yourself using an RV?

Does anyone have any experiences on this?

Without exaggerating like the preppers, is there any advice that might be useful to listen to?

The keyboard is yours ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eruzione Vesuvio 1944.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	209728  
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think we hope that our Class A "homes" on wheels could save us or provide a comfortable option. IMO though, the likelihood of being able to navigate roads with a class A in almost any emergency is dismal. I do however keep a months supply of high quality freeze dried food and other emergency supplies at all times. I also tow a highly capable 4X4 truck just in case I would ever have to leave my beloved coach behind...yes I am somewhat of a prepper
Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Not an "End of the world & the zombies are coming Prepper"

that being said....
If you live in an area prone to weather/fire/earthquake/volcano/flood related emergencies.... It is in your best interests to being at least aware of what may transpire and be ready/willing/able to fend for your self..

If that means having your RV loaded and ready to go so be it..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

My 5th wheel ( and all previous RVs ) is ready to go within minutes if need be.

Just have to load food stuff/perishables and hookup

It is parked on my property on its own FHU ....water/sewer/electric
It is used as a 'man cave' when I am working in the yard and need a break/cold drink, it is used as 'guest quarters' when friends visit and would be used as a 'bug out headquarters' should the need arise.

Fairly common idea....
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Usually keep the RV plugged in, stocked and available for normal use. We have left several times ahead of hurricanes. For Ivan, we ended up in West Monroe , LA and it was 10 days before we could get back into Pensacola.
We keep a bag with photos and copies of important records to take with us just in case. Doesn't take much preparation.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #6

A class A would be my last choice for an emergency vehicle as they are too flimsy and too low to the ground. As a temporary space to live in a converted school bus would fair much better.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #7

I live in an area where there are occasional (rare) mandatory hurricane evacuations, so I always keep the coach ready to hit the road with at least half a tank of fuel, the kitchen stays stocked with some non perishable food items, and we keep a couple of changes of clothes on board, sheets on the bed, etc. The food options may be tuna salad and oat meal, and baked beans, still it should be enough to sustain us for a day or two until we can get far enough inland to resupply.

Ike

p.s. I saw this in a driveway in south Louisiana last year, the subdivision where it was parked is probably about 10 feet above sea level and less than half a mile from a river. What do you want to bet it is their emergency evacuation option? (I just looked it up on the online floodplane map, the subdivision shows as 12 ft above sealevel, storm surge in the area has reached over 10 ft twice in the last 15 years)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zombie-trailer.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	209758  
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Haven't had to evacuate in mine but WayneM and Earlene have had to evacuate Texas City ahead of hurricanes, hopefully he weighs in on this topic.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:38 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in an area of wildfire danger. We store our motorhome on our property. We keep it ready to travel on short notice.

We have had to evacuate on short notice at 4am in the morning. We lived in it at a safe location for about a week before being able to return home.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:07 AM   #10

NC Coast

I live on the North Carolina coast and we frequently get hurricanes. Most have an emergency kit, a plan, and know what they will do in preparation for a storm. I moved here just prior to Hurricane Fran and road it out at home. That storm, a cat 5, went right over my house, I went outside as the eye went over. I don’t intend to ever repeat that mistake. So, I have a kit and a plan. I leave for the hills at least 24 hours before a storm is forecast at cat 2 or above has us in its path. I have a second kit, (canned food, bottled water, coffee, and cash), in the coach.
markminnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:39 AM   #11

I live in a safe place... the kind of place that people want to evacuate to.

Therefore, our rv could serve as a safe second home or spare bedroom for close family.

I hope the situation never arises.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #12

I did not think that I would have triggered a river of interventions ...

Fuel and fresh water are the minimum...

For further safety I have allocated a RV locker for emergency food supplies.

As a long-term supply, I use the same nutrient rations as the ships, they are called Seven Oceans Emergency food rations sea, they are less dry than those for terrestrial use. Then I add cans of meat, chocolate bars and lyophilized ready food... in short, there is food for a month and possibly be able to help some others.

Then I add the stocks of the essential parts of the vehicle (air filters, oil, etc ...).

There are no hurricanes from me, but earthquakes and floods are always possible.

The fact remains that bus-based RVs are a bit fragile and their size could be a big problem in bad roads.

Before buying a motorhome was thinking of buying a truck and turn but then the costs have been too high!

One thing I think is certain, our class A motorhomes could save us, but on condition that we move sufficiently in advance of the incoming trouble. Or not?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Seven_Oceans_Food.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	209796  
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I between Salt Lake and Ogden, in what our locals call and earthquake zone. I've been here 20+ years and have never felt an earthquake. I previously lived in Victorville, CA for 3.5 years and was bored with earthquakes we had so many. Ho, hum, stuffs skaking, zzzz.....

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to have a plan, and step one is a fully fueled motorhome. Step 2 is a pile of cash, followed closely by step 3, guns and ammo. With these we have shelter, a means of procuring what we need, and a means of protecting ourselves. It's likely all for naught, but......
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #14

With an RV the reasons to wait until the last minute to evacuate are less. So leaving early before the mass exodus begins is easier and prudent. Also the need to make a specific destination and time are not there.