Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #57

Where to go

So where do you intend to go when all hell breaks loose? We have been looking for some low priced acreage and have even discussed selling our permanent home to help purchase a suitable place to hide out. I may have one advantage over some others, I am a registered card carrying member of the Cherokee Nation and don't live too far from Indian territory in Oklahoma. That may be an escape. I prefer to stay in the area that we live in here in North Central Arkansas where we have fishing and hunting in abundance.
But, where do plan on going and why.

Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #58

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyflicker View Post
So where do you intend to go when all hell breaks loose? We have been looking for some low priced acreage and have even discussed selling our permanent home to help purchase a suitable place to hide out. I may have one advantage over some others, I am a registered card carrying member of the Cherokee Nation and don't live too far from Indian territory in Oklahoma. That may be an escape. I prefer to stay in the area that we live in here in North Central Arkansas where we have fishing and hunting in abundance.
But, where do plan on going and why.

Ron
I can tell you that I've pondered this question somewhat but not enough to have any kind of an answer. First I'd like to establish some perspective.

1. 90% of emergency planning, for me, is for things besides TEOTWAWKI. Those directly in the massive flooding in VT from Hurricane Irene might have a different perspective.
2. The first decision in any catastrophic situation is "stay or go". Depending on the nature of the situation and even in the face of governmental edict, I think this is a personal decision. Since hurricanes which affect North Texas would be unlikely to take out our house, the "go decisions" for me might be a massive wild fire, a railroad derailment with toxic chemical discharge or civil insurrection. In most cases, we'd be safer staying put. The "go" decisions was the principal reason that I opened this thread.
3. I've finished the book "One Second After" and am half way through "Last Light". Both of them deal with the same kind of total electronics failure but from vastly different points of view. They both, however, make the point that there may be no point of isolation under these conditions that is a refuge. It isn't just living of the land that is important. Ideally, a refuge would be in some wooded area with abundant supplies of firewood, water and game. While I have some survival type skills, I'm a long way from being able to sustain my family a year or more under the worst case conditions.

For most of the situations where we might want to us the RV as part of an escape plan, I'm assuming that there will be services and provisions elsewhere. The reason for the RV is that the numbers of people might overwhelm motel rooms and restaurants in a mass evacuation. I'm expecting to be self-contained as much as possible and wanting to do the best planning that I can for a long period under those conditions.

Your connections with the Cherokee Nation might be your biggest blessing in a TEOTWAWKI scenario. The books indicate that rebuilding some sort of governing structure and banding together for mutual survival may be the answer.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote