Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

RV Attachment

Is it just me or do others get attached to their vehicles? I've always been one to form some kind of a bond to my vehicles. I'm actually feeling sad as I clean out our old rig getting it ready to trade in on our new one. She provided my family with many fun, memorable trouble free trips. But, it's time to move up to something bigger and better as our family has grown. Hope we get as much enjoyment out of our new one as we did this one.
Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #2

I know how you feel. Our first camper was a used 97 nomad, It wasn't really big enough but we had a ball learning about camping. My to boys couldn't even stand up in the slide out with out bumping their head, neither could my husband. We had to do a lot to it when we got it. As I watched the guy leave with it up the drive way I cried. We had already bought another camper and it never felt the same. Now we have a fiver and I love it, but I still miss our first one. It's like you said the memories are so great because of the closeness in a smaller camper. Good luck and many happy memories in you new rig.
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Its not just you. Lots of memories in that old coach. I went through the same thing.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I guess I might miss mine when its gone, but that won't be for a while yet. But I was never one to get attached to "things" as much as others. I consider them tools, and as such, when they wear out, new and better ones come along. Just me I guess......
Old 12-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
I guess I might miss mine when its gone, but that won't be for a while yet. But I was never one to get attached to "things" as much as others. I consider them tools, and as such, when they wear out, new and better ones come along. Just me I guess......
Never an attachment here. Just a piece of iron (plastic) . Bring on the new one. Now the DW that's a different story. ( she reads this). For sure keep her around!! Lol
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff, I don't think that's unusual. We pulled a Cedar Creek 5er for 10 years before getting the MH last year, and we loved it! We were very sad to see it pulling out of the yard behind someone's else's truck!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We owned our trailer for three wonderful years, enjoying the camping life. My spouse had never camped, so it was a leap of faith to buy it. When we traded it in this year, I wrote a letter to the new family and taped it inside one of the cupboards. I wanted to wish them happy times and hoped they would have as much fun as we did. The dealer said he would make sure they got it. He told us later that they really appreciated it.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
We just traded our 2004 Adventuer for a new one and I said goodbye to it as it performed well for 57K miles and kept us safe and sound no matter where we went, even to Alaska. It was a great coach or should I say house on wheels. I also do the same with all my cars I've had over the years and they all had names too.
We hope our new one will do the same and give us many miles of pleasure.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #9

We haven't used our class B since we bought the 5er, but I still can't talk DW into selling it.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
In the almost four years we've owner 'Squeaky', we've put on 34.5K miles, visited 48 states(missed Kansas and can't drive to Hawaii), were able to visit places from 282Ft. below sea level to over 14000ft above, visited 36 National Parks and all the while, living quite comfortably for a total of something a little over a year and a half. Our Rectangular Vehicle has transported us to many spectacular and wonderful places in this great country of ours...how can one not feel some kind of attachment to such a great mode of travel?

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #11

Virginiamtns, love the letter in the cupboard idea. I might have to do that.
Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Addict

I find myself going out to her almost daily, can always find something to do. Maybe someday a newer one, Someday But content right now.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:45 AM   #13

Our last 5r I had installed a redwood burl clock on the slide wall between two windows. When we sold the 5r my DW cried more about the clock than the trailor but we could not have removed the clock as I had screwed the clock in place and holes would have been left. About a year later and right when we got the Discovery we found the clock on the front porch with a note attached from the new owners that said they really injoy the 5r and knew that we wanted the clock! The clock now has a place in our Discovery and is removable if we trade. My DW cried when the clock was returned and smiles every time she sees it in the mh!!!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It happens to a lot of us, we get wrapped up in memories. But I listened years ago to a financial adviser who was on talk radio. He said (and it made sense to me) "never fall in love with your house, or your car" (insert RV). Basically, possessions. And the point is well taken; if you are too emotionally attached you may hold on when it is time to get another, or to not have one at all, or some other version of that same tune.

Of course stripping the bonds of human nature is difficult. Advice is easy to give often hard to follow.

And personally I'll be sad when we finally decide to divest ourselves of our motor home. Weep.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote