Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Rv burglar alarm

Anyone have or use a burglar alarm in their RV? I am looking into purchasing one for several reasons. 1. Security first! 2. I leave unit for day trips in toad. 3. I have pets and I am worried that power may go off to unit losing air conditioner. 4. We often stop and attend an activity or meal away from coach. 5. Boondocking in new and unknown areas or parking lots. 6. Unit is stored offsite 2-3 months in winter.

I am looking at a Tattletale unit that is wireless and plug and play. Anyone have knowledge or experience. It can send signal to your cell phone, police, and sound a loud alarm. I heard that they are coming out with some new options for magnetic external motion detectors that will activate the internal main unit. Seems they are well known in the boating communities, more than the rv circles. Of course I am interested in any brand, pros and cons, at this point!

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Anyone have or use a burglar alarm in their RV? I am looking into purchasing one for several reasons. 1. Security first! 2. I leave unit for day trips in toad. 3. I have pets and I am worried that power may go off to unit losing air conditioner. 4. We often stop and attend an activity or meal away from coach. 5. Boondocking in new and unknown areas or parking lots. 6. Unit is stored offsite 2-3 months in winter.

I am looking at a Tattletale unit that is wireless and plug and play. Anyone have knowledge or experience. It can send signal to your cell phone, police, and sound a loud alarm. I heard that they are coming out with some new options for magnetic external motion detectors that will activate the internal main unit. Seems they are well known in the boating communities, more than the rv circles. Of course I am interested in any brand, pros and cons, at this point!
I have been looking into Simply Safe for my home it's wireless and uses a cell signal. You can customize your system and there are no contracts.

Here is a link to a system on Amazon

and their website

Good Luck!

jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #3

I really like my Simplysafe system. I don't see any reason why you could not use in a RV.
The alarm can be configured to send you a text on alarm. Then you could call the local police if you want to.
It will send you a message upon:
Entry
Water alarm
Power out
Smoke
Motion
Depending how you want to set it up.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You can use a IP camera as long as you have a wifi or hotspot signal and a smart phone..most of the cameras PTZ so you can set up a digital thermometer... You can also set it up to send you pictures when triggered.. average price $60 ..

Good luck
Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post

I have the Tattletale system. It "works" in the sense that entry into the RV will trigger the alarm, I get a txt message. When I inquired to the company about monitoring and them calling Police, what have you, they said having it in an RV would require me to re-register where I am at all times otherwise they'd wind up calling the wrong local PD. The Simplisafe product may balk at the same issue. Another common trait between them is if there's no cell signal, you cannot receive the alarm as it depends on SMS messaging to alert you.

For me it works as I'm pretty much always within some cell tower. I also thought they'd come out with a temperature monitor but I've yet to see it. I did correspond with the company about it and they even sent me the brochure on the product but I've never found it on their website for sale.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote