Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Clubs

Looking at RV Clubs (ex: Good Sam) any recommendations, is one better than the other or is it just personal preference, Is insurance prices better through them, and are other discounts worth the money.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldhnd617 View Post
Looking at RV Clubs (ex: Good Sam) any recommendations, is one better than the other or is it just personal preference, Is insurance prices better through them, and are other discounts worth the money.

Thanks
We've been Good Sam Life members for probably 30 years now - and had their insurance (GMAC) even longer. We had their road service for awhile but at one point we switched over to the company that provided their road service and saved about $20 a year. Then when we bought our current rig it came with 7 years' worth of Coach Net...

We just joined FMCA to take advantage of their partnership with Michelin - our tires are starting to show significant sidewall cracking and need to be replaced. They are Michelin XRV in 235/80R22.5 and the best price I could find locally was $425 each - the FMCA deal gives you that tire for about $385 each. Our local dealer doesn't have them in stock, but does have the XZE model - his price is $516 each; the FMCA price is $414 each. That to me is well worth the cost to join FMCA!

FMCA also offers CoachNet for road service; Good Sam offers their own package. I've heard many people complain about issues with the Good Sam package; I've never heard a single bad word about CoachNet...

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Sam membership will get you great discounts at CW. We don't buy many item's from CW, but each year we manage to save more than the membership costs. Any discounts at RV parks is a bonus.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
really like good sam, had coach 3 days on the road. got up in am slide would not work. called good sam they told me a couple of people to call . got one out was a fuse blown that was hidden. fixed. chrged 147 sent bill to good sam. reimbursed total. blew tire on a boat trailer spare but jack would not work , they called and sent a road service out changed N/C they are great
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bldhnd617,
Welcome to iRV2. There are more organizations to join than you can shake a stick at. It depends on how you will use your RV as to which organizations will provide you the services that are of value. They are all good in providing their services. The question is, will you benefit from them? Start with the manufacturer of your RV. Many have an owners club. Belonging allows you to attend rallies with others having the same brand of RV. There are usually local chapters one can belong to. The previous posts contain other suggestions. As you determine how you will use the RV, the organizations you will benefit from will rise up and become self evident.

For me, I belong to quite a few organizations. Each benefits me in a way that I find value. Examples are, Newmar Kountry Klub (owners club), Good Sam and FMCA. All these are life memberships.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #6

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

Personally as an career emergency responder GS had a great price for Lifetime membership so I went ahead and upgraded. I am also a member of FMCA and Escapees. Both the latter are yearly memberships. I feel that between the various magazines, RV Park discounts, etc. I get my money's worth out of all 3 memberships.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Which membership works depends on how you plan to use it.

I like Passport America. The discounts on CGss pays for it easily each year.
I use Good Sam to save on the few items I buy from CW and it also provides discounts at various campgrounds, usually 10%.
I also have FMCA as i like their magazine and their Michlelin tire discounts.
I use COachNet for roadside assistance.
I have GMAC but did not need a GS membership to get it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are charter lifetime GS members as well as FMCA members. Each have their plusses and minuses. I don't like going to CW for anything although I go once in a while to get something I can't find anywhere else. Won't ever use their shops for anything though after having a new inverter installed by them.
Keep the FMCA because I like the magazine and their rally's. Have been to a few GS ones and prefer the FMCA ones. The GS magazine is pretty much an adv ertisement for CW's products.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #9

Retired Fire Service RVer's
GS members can use the dump stations at Camping World (The ones that have them)
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think GS offers anything that is not readily available elsewhere, e.g. campground discounts, RV accessories discount, road service, etc. But if there particular package of benefits is a good fit for your needs, then maybe its a deal for you.

You can buy competitively-priced RV insurance from numerous sources and should al;ways shop around anyway. GS sells GMAC, but they aren't the only outlet for GMAC RV insurance and prices are the same. Many online stores will equal or better Camping World's GS "discount" prices; Passport American, Family Campers, etc. offer better campground discounts, etc.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #11

Good Sam or what

We are considering a trip across the country and one of the things I am thinking is it would be a good idea to have access to emergency services. Good Sam is the first to come to mind but I am wondering if there may be others to consider. We have a fifth wheel so FMCA does not apply.

I see more than one positive posting for Good Sam. Discounts at Camping World would be something we would take little advantage of but GS says one can also get discounts at some fuel stations, Pilot for one.

And I was wondering about the GS RV camp ground guide and how useful that might be give all the info on the internet.

So, any reason not to join GS?
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #12

What type of emergency services are you considering? Are you thinking of medical emergencies? or road service emergencies?

If you are considering road side services, both Good Sam and Coach-net should meet your needs. Both specialize in RV services. If you search long enough you will find bad experiences with both, good experiences with both. We have had Coach-Net for years and completely satisfied the few time we used them. Both are priced competitively with each other.

We also belong to the Good Sam Club and enjoy a small discount at participating campgrounds. The discount is generally only 10%, but every dollar adds up. The discount at Camping World is larger, but not always the best price even with the discount.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #13

Road service emergencies are my concern since did have problem with a slide not retracting one time and found it was a stripped gear.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #14

Good Sam says one gets a fuel discount but does not say how much. Anybody know what it might be?