Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Coach Home Community Living Options

I see the banner at the top of the IRV2 site advertising for Lake Weir Living Community in Florida. I have looked online to see what they offer and am considering it an option if we decide to eventually leave our current home in Virginia and relocate.
Can anyone provide first hand experiences with this community? Also, although I like the fact they will build what you want for your coach, I was wondering if there are other communities that offer homes that are with less obvious designs for coach garages built into the homes. I prefer a home that does not have the HUGH garage stuck on the side (call me particular on curb appeal).

Can we use this thread to build a list of other communities that are dedicated to taking care of families with "big toys".

The one thing that caught my eye was they indicate no HOA. When I am on a fixed income I want to buy without (if possible) small fees that I would rather put towards travel. Please include options even if they have HOAs. Love the thought of having full hook ups in the garage with a shop at the end to care for the coach when home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and information!
Safe travels all!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #2

+1... This is a good idea. Need some ideas for retirement.

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

This won't exactly fit your criteria as the RV garages are attached to the house, and there are HOA fees, but check out Lake Ashton in Lake Wales, FL.
We live there, but not in a RV home. It's a retirement community with two clubhouses, pools, golf, and tons of activities, etc. A smaller section of the community is dedicated to RV homes. There is also a gated, storage facility within the community for those who don't have RV homes. We have covered storage, but there is also outside storage available.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
This won't exactly fit your criteria as the RV garages are attached to the house, and there are HOA fees, but check out Lake Ashton in Lake Wales, FL.
We live there, but not in a RV home. It's a retirement community with two clubhouses, pools, golf, and tons of activities, etc. A smaller section of the community is dedicated to RV homes. There is also a gated, storage facility within the community for those who don't have RV homes. We have covered storage, but there is also outside storage available.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely look at the places you recommend. I am sure others will also find any and all information helpful. Thank you for your post. Take care.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
I see the banner at the top of the IRV2 site advertising for Lake Weir Living Community in Florida. I have looked online to see what they offer and am considering it an option if we decide to eventually leave our current home in Virginia and relocate.
Can anyone provide first hand experiences with this community? Also, although I like the fact they will build what you want for your coach, I was wondering if there are other communities that offer homes that are with less obvious designs for coach garages built into the homes. I prefer a home that does not have the HUGH garage stuck on the side (call me particular on curb appeal).

Can we use this thread to build a list of other communities that are dedicated to taking care of families with "big toys".

The one thing that caught my eye was they indicate no HOA. When I am on a fixed income I want to buy without (if possible) small fees that I would rather put towards travel. Please include options even if they have HOAs. Love the thought of having full hook ups in the garage with a shop at the end to care for the coach when home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and information!
Safe travels all!

This place caught our eye a few years ago. On two separate spring breaks (the better half was a teacher) to Orlando, we took a day trip up to LWL and looked around the area and what they had to offer. Bottom-line,...we love the area.

• It's out in the country.
  • It's outside the tourist environment of Orlando and both coasts
    • But we're only an hour away from those environments also, so if we want the ocean or the gulf...off we go.
  • They advertise as Baby Boomer Toy Friendly, whether it's RVs, motorcycles, or hot rods. They build houses for the need/wants of the further owner.
    • One current home that the couple is moving into is a multi-bay garage design, with a car lift in one of the bays. This one bay was also prepped for the owner to install a paint booth as a later date, for his car restoration hobbies.
  • There isn't a club house, pool, tennis courts, or golf course. They would not doubt require HOAs, which we don't want.
  • If you like golf, there's golf course all over Lake and Marion counties have fun.
  • Marion County has been called "Horse Country USA", even over Kentucky. There are allot of horse and cattle ranches in the area, along with citrus orchards.
  • Logistics:
    • LWL is about 8 miles from the retail and medical infrastructure at the Villages
    • LWL about 10-15 miles from the retail and medical infrastructure in Leesburg
    • LWL is about a half hour to the retail and medical infrastructure in Ocala.
    • Police station is just around the corner from LWL, on your way into Ocklawaha
    • The closest fire station is about 4 miles to the south
    • Retired military:
      • McDill AFB Tampa is about an 1.5 hours south
      • NAF Jacksonville is about 2.4 hours north
      • There is a small Navy commissary/exchange complex in Orlando, where the Navy Boot Camp use to be.
  • Local Stuff:
Now regarding that large RV garage, it is a little hard to hide a beast of a structure that has a garage door that's 14'x14', and the fact (particularly our garage that being built) has interior dimensions of 45'L x 16'W x 16'H. Now since we're on a dead-end street we did put the garages on the far side, so you see the more of the house as you come into it.

When we were down there (we currently live in southern MD), the office staff set up a meet with our future LWL neighbors at Gator Joe's. This was a Tuesday night when fried shrimp is $14.99 all you can eat. About 20 neighbors showed up and we had a blast. We will have fun with these folks, as they are boomers wanting to have fun also.

LWL is about 15 miles to I75 and about 25 miles to the Florida Turnpike.

Hope this helps
jabird56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #6

I don't know what the building codes are for Lake Weir but if you can use your own builder then you are only limited by your pocket book. Attached is a a home at TGO in Titusville FL, and no it is. to mine.
The story and a half bay on the right side swings out left to right on rollers. No obtrusive garage door there. However, it doesn't come cheap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	55348  
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #7

Now if only I could sell the s&b in NE GA! I'd be down in FL as soon as I could get the local thrift store to pick up & Men on the Move to get the furniture onto the truck!
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Right behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catstravel View Post
Now if only I could sell the s&b in NE GA! I'd be down in FL as soon as I could get the local thrift store to pick up & Men on the Move to get the furniture onto the truck!
Just have to eliminate the last two years until I retire! That is if I make it till Feb 2016! Ready to go now!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
+1... This is a good idea. Need some ideas for retirement.
Lots of views but not many posts yet! Great information received so far!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #10

Correct me if I am wrong, but in looking over this "community" I think it is a little bit misleading. It appears as if the REASON there are no HOAs and you pick your own builder is because "community" is being loosely applied to the entire Lake Weir area, which includes multiple senior-oriented developments.

They make it sound like this is an actual RV focused project ... when in fact you can build a home with an attached, enclosed garage for your RV almost ANYWHERE they allow 2 story homes to be built! Actually, that can be an advantage, since you can select from various neighborhoods and communities.

As to other area amenities, I have heard good things.

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post

They make it sound like this is an actual RV focused project ... when in fact you can build a home with an attached, enclosed garage for your RV almost ANYWHERE they allow 2 story homes to be built!
RE: RVs ... In Florida, this is not really the case. Many HOA communities do not allow RVs regardless of the ability to garage. As with any other real estate purchase, buyers need to check local code/zoning, deed restrictions for the property in question, and the ENTIRE set of Covenants for the HOA. Under no circumstances take the word of the broker/agent or the seller.

Likewise for trailered boats, etc.

And, unless grandfathering is specified in the Covenants, it doesn't apply ... an HOA can change the rules with a vote.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
RTinVA,
You can buy now and lock in at today's value and I will move there and take care of it for the next 2 years then I'll get one built
Kidding aside, I have been checking this place out for a few months now. My brother and I had a falling out last fall and I have nothing holding me here any more.
Just like the cold up here I am not sure if I can handle the hot humid summers down there.
I hope to read some results from your OP. Thanks for asking.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here is a resort in Mission, TX. I have no personal knowledge of the place. http://www.bentsenpalm.com
Old 02-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi spritz,
Those of us who "live" in Florida and have a coach usually do not spend the summers in Florida. I have a house in south Florida. I also have a lot in a resort in eastern Tennessee. Combine time at the lot with a bit of touring, the summers are full of many things but not Florida.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote