Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
RV comfort cheap heat "don't buy"

The first winter great 2013, last winter 2015 it stopped working replaced heating coil fuse Larry sent it free still under warranty. Paid to get it fixed. 2015 This year it's stopped twice paid to fix it once last time today I won't do it again.
Larry is a great guy but mine is a lemon.
It heats great when working....

My advice pass on it wish I did..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Have you checked for high/low voltage at the parks you stayed at? Could be a reason the fuse is blowing ?

?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

I agree, low voltage causes higher amperage draw, which does not bother resistance heaters, but will melt fuses.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And high voltage can melt resistance elements.

I use space heaters. I modified the RV to run 'em (Installed a pair of proper 15/20 amp outlets each fed with genuine 12ga wire each from a circuit breaker that powers ONLY that outlet, one 15 amp one 20) Standard RV wiring is not up to 1500 watt heaters long term.

I'm currently in S.E. GA where it hit 35 last night here (30 offically but 35 was my lowest) and I used only 2250 watts 750 in the living room (Thermostat added over last 2 days but it is still on as I type) and 1500 in bedroom.. Got a bit cool here. but, as it happens, I like cool when I'm sleeping. I could have 2 or 3 more heaters in storage if I need 'em.

Average cost per heater is in the 20-25 range (The 750 watt "Fireplace" was I think 30 before I added the Thermostat, Which was about 30 as well) (Nice Honeywell LINE VOLTAGE Thermostat, This unit is NOT affected by power flowing through it or by the heat of the heater so it works real well) So replacement is simple and low cost when they fail.. Most last several years. Oh and the 750 Watt. Standard RV wiring is more than up to that.. But watch out for chained outlets (only one to a breaker folks)
Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I agree, low voltage causes higher amperage draw, which does not bother resistance heaters, but will melt fuses.

Lower voltage will not increase the amount of amps drawn with a resistance heating element. Think of a regular light bulb. If you lower the voltage the bulb gets dimmer, but it's not drawing more amps. Basic Ohms law.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have a progressive industries EMS-PT50C it checks for low or high
it would kick of before it affected the RV.

The guy decided to refund my money good man.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Lower voltage will not increase the amount of amps drawn with a resistance heating element. Think of a regular light bulb. If you lower the voltage the bulb gets dimmer, but it's not drawing more amps. Basic Ohms law.

Except bulbs resistance changes with illumination level. I have some 1000 watt bulbs that have a cold resistance of one (1) ohm. The dimmer that they are on limits the inrush current at ten (10) amps. Once they start to glow the current goes way down.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat