Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rv Comfort Systems

I am looking into the electrical heating system being offered by RV Comfort Systems. Hoping to find someone that has had this modification done. Any imput on this system would be greatly appreciated.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #2

Their system is grossly overpriced. If they were installing it for that price it is still overpriced. To me it seems they want to retire after only a few sales. It is no more than an electric heating element in your furnaces air stream. It is only 1500 watts or 5000 BTU's. I laughed at the system it is so rediculous and wondered how they thought they could sell at that price.

My 30' 5er needs 17,650 BTUs to heat it to 70 F when it is 25 F outside and I have dual pane windows.

There has to be adequet wiring to feed it. It should be 12 gauge wire.

I am retired after 50 years of plumbing and HVAC.

ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The largest configuration of the RV Comfort "Cheap Heat" system delivers about 17,000 btus/hr, but that requires 20A x 240v on a 50A hook-up, which is about the same as running two a/c's at the same time.

And the "reduced operating costs" are only reduced if you do not pay separately for the electric on your site. Great for overnight stops where electric is included in the rate, but long term or seasonal sites usually have metered electric.

If you don't have 50A power available, you can get the same benefits with a 5000 btu/hr electric space heater (I like the ceramic type for safety) at a far lower cost.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am considering it for use at home base in winter rather than having to use LP. 17000 BTU should be adequate here in Az. with temps seldon below freezing. We have our own land with full hook up where we spend the winter months in a rural area.
What I am looking for is a review from someone that has it installed and whether they are pleased with it or not.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

Unless it gets real cold a heat pump would be more efficient.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I recommend you take the advice of some of these experienced members and take a second look at alternate heat sources unless you feel you will need it year round. Even at that, there are some good 1500 watt alternatives that are much cheaper.

Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

I have a 20 amp wall outlet wired direct to the breaker box. This is turned on and off with a high voltage wall thermostat. This controls my 1500 watt oil filled electric radiator. This gives nice even heat and the wall thermostat does the job infinitly better than the built in thermostat which I leave on high as possible. When it is really cold out I also use a 750 watt electric heater with a squirrel cage fan. I aim it at the radiator. This moves all the heat around better and the fan is whisper quiet.

I changed the 16 gauge wires that came with the radiator and the 750 watt heater to 12 gauge wires. Now the wire and plug does not heat up at all like the 16 gauge one did.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
I recommend you take the advice of some of these experienced members and take a second look at alternate heat sources unless you feel you will need it year round. Even at that, there are some good 1500 watt alternatives that are much cheaper.

Dave
Everyone keep talking about using space heaters. I have them and have been using them for 20 years or more. A single 17000 BTU 5000 watt unit that works thru the ductwork instead of three of the 1500 watt units sitting around the coach is better to me. Guess there just arent any experienced members here that have this system.
Cheap is not allways the best nor the most desirable.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

It all depends on your needs and power availability. If you routinely need 17,000 btus, then the built-in system makes sense. But we find that 5000 btus from a 1500W heater is all we need 95% of the time, and a pair of them heats the whole RV in most any weather I would care to be RVing in.

For those with 30A rigs, 17,000 btus is not an option. They have to go with the smaller versions of the built-in system to keep the wattage under 2000. And some of us who routinely visit parks that do not have solid 50A service may also find ourselves limited in power.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I am considering it for use at home base in winter rather than having to use LP. 17000 BTU should be adequate here in Az. with temps seldon below freezing. We have our own land with full hook up where we spend the winter months in a rural area.
What I am looking for is a review from someone that has it installed and whether they are pleased with it or not.
Check here and here for threads that have accounts of people who have installed it. You will have to wade through posts from scoffers who had no actual experience with the unit and don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Btw, for those who frequently use 30A services, Cheap Heat is available in lower wattage configurations that will work without overloading the service. Lower operating cost (depending, of course, on the cost of propane vs electricity) isn't the only reason why people may want a Cheap Heat. Convenience can be a huge factor. With portable heaters, one has to find a place to put them and plug them in. Unless one wants to Mickey Mouse up something, they won't heat tanks or basement areas. Cheap Heat is out of sight, out of mind except for a small rocker switch typically installed by the thermostat that allows one to switch from gas to electric heat; the thermostat controls the Cheap Heat when electric heat is selected. If someone doesn't want to be bothered with manually switching between electric and gas heat, one can get a two stage heat pump thermostat and let it do the work.

Even if heating with electricity costs more, the convenience of not having to refill propane (profane?) tanks as often can be huge, especially for disabled flatulent geriatrics like me.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Unless it gets real cold a heat pump would be more efficient.
This is true when comparing heat pumps to resistive heating. However, if one already has a pair of perfectly good A/Cs installed, swapping them out for heat pumps will most likely not be cost effective. Depending on the cost of electricity vs propane, even heat pumps could be less cost effective than propane.

As good as heat pumps are, they are efficient only down to certain temperatures. RV units will cut out at 45F down to 32F, depending on the manufacturer. Below that, one will have to revert to gas or resistive heat (many RV thermostats can do that automatically).

The heat strips one can get for some RV heat pumps or A/Cs are just too small to really be effective except in the mildest weather.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
Their system is grossly overpriced. If they were installing it for that price it is still overpriced. To me it seems they want to retire after only a few sales. It is no more than an electric heating element in your furnaces air stream. It is only 1500 watts or 5000 BTU's. I laughed at the system it is so rediculous and wondered how they thought they could sell at that price.

My 30' 5er needs 17,650 BTUs to heat it to 70 F when it is 25 F outside and I have dual pane windows.

There has to be adequet wiring to feed it. It should be 12 gauge wire.

I am retired after 50 years of plumbing and HVAC.
I suggest you go to Comfort Systems website and CAREFULLY read what's there. Most of what you said here is flat wrong.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
...that requires 20A x 240v on a 50A hook-up, which is about the same as running two a/c's at the same time...
Actually, the current draw is a bit over 20A (around 22-23A, I'm too lazy to do the math plus I don't know what the control circuits draw, although I doubt it's over an amp) so a 30A 240v circuit is required; #10 wiring is adequate for that unless the run is really, really long (not likely on an RV). Two A/Cs will need two 20A 120v circuits which is the same load as a single 20A 240v device. Still, a 50A service would be able to easily handle the Cheap Heat and still have plenty of juice left for everything else one is likely to run in the winter.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
...Cheap is not allways the best nor the most desirable.
It's refreshing when someone "gets it."