Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
if it cost $ 100 would be a small price to pay if it could assist you in avoiding a HUGE mistake in purchasing an RV.
It certainly would, but will either of those guides do it? My personal opinion is they will not, but I can see where a newbie would find the info comforting. Just don't think you are buying an independent test report like Consumer Reports.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #16

Before I deceided on what 5er to buy, I joined the RV Consumers Group. They are the only RV rating folks in the USA. They are also independant of the RV manufacturers. It was $150.00 for the information and well worth every penny. The info is either 5ers and TTs or motorhomes. A second fee for both. I do not know how much it saved me in $ and heartaches from inferior products but I know it was a lot. I have learned since that a good 80% of the RVs on the market are junk beautified.

ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #17

what about the accuracy and reviewer's quality for various RVs?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald.bradl View Post
what about the accuracy and reviewer's quality for various RVs?
What we did was to review the info in the guide and then compare what we saw in the guide to what people were saying in various forums. For the most part the info matched and made our decision easier, or at a minimum, much more informed. For example, prior to getting the guide I had looked at Forest River as more of an off brand. After getting the guide and seeing how their ratings had improved we became much more interested in the brand. Prior to getting the guide we didn't realize that almost all of the level of motorhomes we were looking at would be on a Freightliner chassis and have a Cummns engine. Further on-line research confirmed what we had read and made our purchase easier. On the other side of the coin we had seriously considered a Tiffin and thought that the extra $$ may have been worth it to go for the Tiffin. Seeing that Tiffin's ratings had dropped made our decision to not spend the extra money a wiser choice for our purposes. That's not a knock on Tiffin, but it did put Tiffin on a similar level to Forest River in our analysis.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #19

Comparison Guide

Forrest
I have found over the years when people are looking for an RV for the first time, the one question they forget to ask is? ARE PARTS AVAILABLE IF I AM IN A FENDER-BENDER? Many companies have went out of business in the past 20 years. The tools (Fiberglass Moulds) in most cases have been destroyed or moved to storage locations which are hard to locate. The RV industry is not like the auto industry which must supply parts for at least 5 years. The time manufacturers must keep parts in stock are 5 days? This does not apply to all manufacturers. There are many who think about the future and the used market for their dealers. ASK
If you have a question about a certain brand let me know.
rond@rvglass.com
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
I have learned since that a good 80% of the RVs on the market are junk beautified.
Please see Post #29 in THIS THREAD regarding RV Consumers Group ratings.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #21

There is no substitute for doing your own homework first hand when buying any kind of RV. What I liked about having both JR and RVCG was looking to see where they agreed. Then I went and looked at a LOT of Rvs. It is easy to shoot holes in both guides if you really want to. For example, in my own personal experience of looking we really liked Beaver motor homes. High quality was everywhere in these coaches. RVCG basically hates Beavers. So my own on site inspection differed. What was useful about the RVCG guides was to tell which Beavers had the amount of CCCs we wanted and also to find out towing capacity, chassis length and motor power.

So while I do disagree with Galant about his subjective quality rating of this brand, I do find useful some of his objective statistics.

But as I said in my previous post I am kind of geeky and I really enjoyed doing all the research and coming to my own conclusions. I think most people buy RVs like they do cars, on looks. When I first met my wife she drove a very good looking Eldorado. Everyone loved the looks of this car. I hated it as it drove horrible and totally fell apart constantly. And we are talking about major components going out. My wife still remembers that as a great car and me as a POS. My observation is that most people find an motor home with the floorplan they like and nice paint. If it does not jump off the road on the 8 mile test drive they buy it. Or they will go around trying to get a lower price on that coach.

Me I like 1. Full documentation. Printed books with drawings of wires and plumbing and so on. Plus hopefully operation instructions. Shockingly some RVs have zero of this. I would not buy one that did not come with full docs. 2. Look in not obvious places for quality. For example in my Country Coach electrical basement everything is clearly marked. In one of my friends coaches it is a jumble in there. Order is better. 3. Hinges on basement doors and clasps. Slides on cabinets. If the coach has yacht latches made out of brass it is a well made coach. 4. Knock on the walls. If it sounds like your house wall that is good. If it sounds like so think you better not push on it that is bad. 5. How does it drive on the freeway. None of these coaches that I have driven drive as well as a luxury car. But avoiding one that makes you "white knuckled" while driving is a good thing. Many coach hunt left then go right, then go left, and so on. Being able to go relatively straight down the road is a good thing. And when trucks pass and winds come up it should still go down the road fairly straight.

So after a bunch of research that includes your own testing and looking at what other people have to say you are ready to make an educated selection. If buyers pass on this and make snap decisions then they may not get what they were hoping for.

Final comment. There are fewer really good motor homes out there that combine high quality, ease of driving, and comfort than there are bad ones.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to resurrect this old thread - especially as my first post, but if anyone finds this thread while searching for info on RVCG and thinks that it will give CCC or towing info, you will be disappointed. Maybe it included this data back in 2010, but having just purchased this, I can confirm it is not in there. It includes as the only data: Brand, Year, Type (Class A), Length, Model, Use Type(snowbirding, FT, Vacation - Opinions not data), Chassis, Avg New Price, and Opinions on Reliability, Value and Highway Control. The latter is based on a ratio of length to wheelbase. Wheelbase length is provide too, but you have to dig for it.

I find it useful for sorting sizes and brand info as well as initial selling price. For instance if someone mentions they have an 2008 Model - X 34X and don't say the manufacturer or if it a gas or diesel model, I can use this to quickly find that info. I can compare all the models of a manufacture for a year to sort by avg new selling price to see which ones they have from the most to least expensive.

What it does not have are, CCC, GVWR, GCWR or any other weight info. There is no floorplan info either or any such similar info on tank sizes, tire sizes, or options, etc.

What I can tell by the data that a SuperNova 2007 MHC+ is 34.1 ft model 6331 and has an "IN" chassis and sold for 140k. So kind of useful in that regard. Now if the help/faq on chassis terms only included the "IN" as it does for FR or FO. Under "Highway Control" they mention this International chassis has a wheelbase of 266 inches. Under price guide they also include a depreciation schedule.

So this last paragraph is really the sum of info included plus MFG/Brand history, and opinions which may not be very accurate as noted in this and other threads. The price is a bit high, but still useful for info that you could get by using Google and NADA but this will be quicker.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Used both, RVCG was the best of the two mentioned. JR Consumer was fair.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man View Post
Used both, RVCG was the best of the two mentioned. JR Consumer was fair.
What info does JR Consumer have? Anything that is not available in the RVCG?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #25

Nomad Mike - Really surprised RVCG does not include CCC any more. It has been several years since I have looked at their publications, but I am sure that the amount of capacity available was one of the major criteria for their handling rating. I assume they still include a handling rating? I looked in my bookcase and I tossed out the JR Consumer book I had for a number of years. So I am going by memory of the book I bought in 2009. Seemed like they had a very good section on satisfaction levels from the dealer repair places.

I reread what I wrote a few posts above this one in Oct 2010 and still agree with what I wrote then. I still have the Country Coach. I still like it. I now mostly drive up to Oregon once or twice a year to get work done on it. I found it much, and I want to emphasize, much, more difficult and expensive to get work done in S Cal than in the area around where my Country Coach was built. Over the last five years I have had significant problems getting work done right. Since you are in N Cal keep that in mind. You are close to the area around Junction City OR and Country Coach, Monaco, and Beaver were all made up there. Country Coach is starting up building new motor homes again starting this year.

I am sure the "IN" chassis stands for International.

Be sure you drive some of those Super Nova motor homes. They come on a pretty stiff truck chassis.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Nomad Mike - Really surprised RVCG does not include CCC any more. It has been several years since I have looked at their publications, but I am sure that the amount of capacity available was one of the major criteria for their handling rating. I assume they still include a handling rating? I looked in my bookcase and I tossed out the JR Consumer book I had for a number of years. So I am going by memory of the book I bought in 2009. Seemed like they had a very good section on satisfaction levels from the dealer repair places.

I reread what I wrote a few posts above this one in Oct 2010 and still agree with what I wrote then. I still have the Country Coach. I still like it. I now mostly drive up to Oregon once or twice a year to get work done on it. I found it much, and I want to emphasize, much, more difficult and expensive to get work done in S Cal than in the area around where my Country Coach was built. Over the last five years I have had significant problems getting work done right. Since you are in N Cal keep that in mind. You are close to the area around Junction City OR and Country Coach, Monaco, and Beaver were all made up there. Country Coach is starting up building new motor homes again starting this year.

I am sure the "IN" chassis stands for International.

Be sure you drive some of those Super Nova motor homes. They come on a pretty stiff truck chassis.
Yes, they do include handling rating. They call it Highway Control and gives the chassis, wheelbase and a wheel to length ratio. Then one of six opinions possible on the handling from difficult and dangerous under adverse conditions to excellent and an unknown for lack of data. But no where is there data on CCC etc. I did get the downloaded version, but I don't believe they even offer a book now. You can see a sample report on their website.

As for the Super Nova, I just used that as an example of the data as it was at the top of the list in some quick search I did.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #27

Back six years ago I bought CD's from them with thousands of different motorhomes listed. I am going by memory but I am sure they listed CCC. And now that you mention it handling was called highway control. We tried to limit ourselves to looking at models that rated high in highway control.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

The "Highway Control" rating is one of the things that makes me very skeptical of the RVCG ratings book. They make a sweeping evaluation of road worthiness and safety based solely on the wheelbase-to-length ratio. Sure that's a significant factor, but to base everything on just that one item? What about tire size and capacity, braking, anti-roll bars, weight vs GVWR, and the dozens of other factors that affect handling? I realize a summary report can't get into a lot of detail, but to praise or condem on just a single factor is preposterous, in my opinion.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, guide, jr consumer resources, rv comparison guide