Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind Send a message via Yahoo to Bauernfeind Send a message via Skype™ to Bauernfeind
RV Comparisons

I've had is asked of me several times and I've looked myself, but with the sole exception of one web site that sells for over $150 their RV evaluations of Class A's 5er's etc., there does not seem to be a place where one can go and get some sort of side by side comparison guide between products? I can find cars, trucks, even snowmobiles but not a comparison chart for different companies RVs. And this is a business that does not produce that many vehicles yearly in comparison to ... well any other vehicle. There are more red motorcycles sold in the US in a year than RVs I'd bet -- or come close anyway. Has anyone had any success?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
That is why it is so important for the buyer to do his/her homework. Glad I had and used the 5 years waiting for the girls to leave home. Still have the same coach for 13 years now.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
It is a very personal and subjective thing to buy a MH. Everyone is different on floor plan, chassis, engine etc. There is no objective publication like Consumer's Reports for MH's. There are some that will just get the brochures and write up their opinions on them but there again it is subjective and personal about what you will like compared to what we like. Example would be Newmar's ... we don't like the floor plans while there are those that won't get anything but them. It's all up to what you like. Just make sure you actually imagine living in and where you will put things and how you will cook and use the bathroom and ... well you get the idea.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
That one site/company, RVCG, doesn't even test RVs.

Their opinion is based on brochures/literature and maybe a look at some of the RVs.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
We've made up our own minds on our choice of rv's, except for the first 5'r that we bought, a 2000 Avion, because it was a good deal. We didn't even have it inspected. I guess this question isn't for you since you already have an rv. It seems to me that people who are looking already know they want a TT, 5'r or MH. When I'm asked I point them in the direction of owner's forums. All major brands have them and it seems like the best place to get real info about issues is from an actual owner. In the 5'r category there are owner forums for Excel, Jayco, Montana, Drv units (www.suitesowners.com) and others, I'm sure. I think another good resource is repair shops, not rv dealers, but independent rv repair centers. They usually have a lot of opinions on what they would buy or recommend.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

We knew Country Coach because we've stopped at Buddy Gregg in Knoxville for 12 years or so. We knew Tiffin because they're made in Alabama and there are alot of them around here. What we didn't know was components.

RVs, like boats, source a lot of their systems from third party manufacturers, so if I find a Freighliner chassis, HWH slides, Equalizer hydraulics, Bose sound, Cummins, Allison, etc.....those components can be on a lot of different brands.

Cabinet work, flooring, plumbing fixtures/toilets/showers are differentiating items.

The MH we bought is a brand we'd never seen before, but it had good stuff inside it, was low miles and was priced to sell fast. If we decide to change horses, there won't be a huge loss, IMO.

As it happens, turns out that for two of us for occasional use, we lucked out.

Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote