Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Here's another angle.

Where do you spend the bulk of your time?

In our case we have a home in Florida but spend 6-7 months in our motorhome. We have had 2 Newmars and have been pleased with both of them.

However we my buy a Tiffen for our next mh. Not because of any preceived difference in quality but because of the location of the manufacturing plant.

You can go "home" to the plant for occasional work on your mh for both companies. But you can go to Tiffen year around without serve winter weather concerns. Also in our case anytime we come up out of Florida the factory would be an easy stop for us.

Your situation may be different. Perhaps the Newmar plant location is better for you.

Just another consideration while making your choice.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I'm just not sure why anybody would want to buy a 2011 DP, no matter what the brand. There are so many deals out there on barely used, not close to being broken in, diesel pushers for 1/3 what a new one would cost. I'm only sayin'.......
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I purchased a new MH because it came with a new warranty. I was concerned about used motorhomes without a manufacture warranty. I am too new to know when I'm getting an excellent deal or a rip off. I read horror stories of delamination found after the sale. Extended warranties that had small print. Extended warranties that were no good. etc.. Also, negotiating a new price was getting real close to used retail on many. Even now, my used NADA price is not too far from what I paid. Knowing first, to take off 25-30% off the MSRP as your starting negoiating point. RV sales is a racket. Nobody ever said it was a good investment. Each one has their own reason for buying something way over-priced that only decreases in value. Rip Rip Rip. After having owned two MH's, I have a better understanding of what to look for. In the end, it's still a loss and a high risk, high ticket purchase item. I never saw high end, barely used motorhomes at 1/3 the retail price.

If there was a one year old $500,000.00 MH for sale at $150k, I would be very suspicious.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #18

Blyons,

The big five in midrange motor homes are Fleetwood, Monaco, Newmar, Tiffin, and Winnebago (listed in alphabetical order ) I would try to look at all five before putting my money down. There are partisans and haters of all brands of motor homes. We love ours and the maker went broke. But then if I had had a coach still under factory warranty and was stiffed, I would be VERY unhappy. BTW Fleetwood was bought out and Honored their warranties. And of course Winnebago never was in trouble. Winnie is likely the most innovative of the bunch. I also like the American Coach line a lot which is part of Fleetwood.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #19

I will second the recommendation of Newmar. We built an Allstar and picked it up last October. Only minor issues since then and most of them operator error. In every case, Newmar dealt with us as though we were the only ones calling them. Very impressive. A couple of issues arose over a weekend and the Newmar service rep called back on Monday and Tuesday to be sure we were OK.

On a recent trip to the Canyon country we had a windshield wiper issue (late on a Friday, of course) and the Newmar service rep called ahead of us to find a dealer who could help us on the road.

I have heard similar comments about Tiffin. Newmar has us hooked.

Good luck with your purchase. We are from San Antonio and plan on traveling to Nappanee, IN to get some final warranty check-ups done in September and to tour the factory. We have heard the factory tour leaves you with a sense of pride that you own a very well made coach.

Good luck with your purchase.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote