Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

RV Comparisons

We are shopping motorhomes and are considering the 2011 Monaco Diplomat, the Phaeton and the Allegro Bus. We'd like to hear your impressions regarding the quality of the Monaco's versus the Tiffin buses. We have heard that Tiffin is very well built and the service is great, but that Monaco's are also desirable and we really like the opennes of the full body slide-out on the Monaco.

Does anyone have any experience with the new Monaco since they've been acquired by Navastar?
blyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Don,t forget to check out the Holiday Rambler Endeaver....they compare with the Allegro bus, at a good price
Old 06-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
WHile I have not owned either, I can say that Bob Tiffin weathered the economic storm and stood by his customers, product, dealers and suppliers...

Kay Toolson, steered the good ship Monaco into the same storm, and got out by abandoning their customers and dealers and suppliers by bailing into bankruptcy....

Who you trust is up to you....

You pays yo money, and you takes your chances...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble&rose View Post
Don,t forget to check out the Holiday Rambler Endeaver....they compare with the Allegro bus, at a good price
I dont think the Dip or Endeavor can compare with the Allegro Bus but would compare to the Phaeton, If I was buying now I would go with Tiffin with ether of their coaches, Monaco used to stand for Quality we just dont know now, time will tell.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

As Mike notes above, Monaco was partners w/Navistar before the economic storm and thru maneuverings in bankruptcy washed away all responsibility to all customers and is now (miracle of miracles) a subsidiary of Navistar. Workhorse, another Navistar subsidiary, has been workhorsing their customers around for years on a brake recall that, IMO, should have been resolved with a solution in place at least two years ago (no solution on the street yet and no anticipated firm date as of coupla weeks ago, for a situation that has been going on 5 or 6 years).

Tiffin keeps honoring his warranty, and never stopped.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is the problem you will hear from people on this forum that are upset with what happened to them when Monaco went bankrupt. They got screwed on warranty work either they did not get it done or paid for the work and did not get reimbursed. Their comments will be influenced negatively because they got screwed.
Since the new Monaco are being built in the same factory by the same people, but with Navistar direction on quality control. I would think the quality of the new coaches will be the same or better than the old Monaco. Since I have only owned a Holiday Rambler Endeavor I can't give you any comment other than to say we have been very satisfied with the coach.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #7

Smile

I would take a hard look at Newmar Dutch Star great Coach for the $'s. I had a Monaco it is a good Coach. I only had it bad to the dealer once after PDI now we found several things while doing the PDI. I'm having a Newmar Duch Star 4353 built right now it goes into paint next week. I've been at all three plants Monaco, Tiffin and Newmare. Newmare Quality is awesome. This is out fourth Coach. I'm purchasing my Coach thru Buddy Gregg in Texas Brian Griffitt in one of the owners GREAT to work with his phone number is 1-800-858-7139 or e-mail bgriffitt@buddygregg.com . Buddy Gregg also sells Monaco Coach's. If you contact him please tell him I (Wally)sent you. Wish you the best in your search for the right Coach. Seabee 13
seabee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #8

I doubt that they have sold enough of the new DP's to get an accurate picture of the quality. If the Diplomat has the new Navistar engine I would pass.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Moisheh,
Why would you pass on a coach with the Navistar engine? It looks like Tiffin has chosen Navistar engines for some of their MHs. Here is a quote from the Navistar Maxforce engine forum.

Under a new multi-year agreement, Navistar Engine Group will supply its advanced V-8 turbo diesel engine to Tiffin Motor Homes Inc., according to a news release.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #10

Thanks, Moisheh. It's not the Navistar engine that concerns us specifically, but the health of the Navistar company that took over Monaco. They have a great deal of debt on their balance sheet and we are wondering how that may affect service and quality.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #11

My advise is to shop and compare. Open doors and drawers. Look each coach over on their fit and finish.

As MH owners for almost 18 years, we planned to buy a new HR or Monaco when our primary home sold which was a very slow endeavor. We had lots of time to shop. I wanted a fiberglass roof this time and a MH built with pride & quality from Indiana craftsmen.

We bought a Tiffin.

Tiffin only uses the new Navistar engine in the 28 foot Breeze.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #12

You have all been so helpful. Thank you so much for the input. We've heard that RVer's are some of the nicest people you will meet and it seems true. We have looked some more and at the top of our list now is the Newmar Dutch Star. I suspect we will be making a purchase soon.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #13

I was just camping and chatting with a Holiday Rambler owner. He said HR went out of business. I owned a '92 Allegro and that was built very well.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #14

I was screwed by Monaco on warranty work long before their demise.

From your revised list, my order of choice would be Tiffin, Newmar, and Phaeton - no Monaco /HR (same coach, just like Winnebago / Itasca). That from a long time Winnie fan (current owner of 2, plus one retired).

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote