Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Cover Hoist

I try my best to keep my motorhome covered when were not using it. Not having to winterize is a benefit of living in Southern California, but the UV rays here can cause damage in a short amount of time.

In my 30's, I could throw my cover over my shoulder and climb up to the roof. In my 40's, I had to acquire to help of my son, who would climb up on the roof and pull the cover up as I shimmy-ed it up the sidewall of the RV. Now Im in my 50's...my knees and back are shot and my son moved out and started his own family. Last year I began looking for an alternate way of getting the heavy RV cover up to the roof. I tried the RV cover hoist sold at CW, but it was junk. Several members of this forum came up with some good ideas, but most of them didnt work for me, mainly because of my lousy back. One member suggested I buy a drywall lift and hoist the cover up to the roof. That seemed like overkill, besides the lifts started at $300 and up.

My motorhome went uncovered most of the winter. It kills me to leave my baby unprotected, so I decided to act before summer hits. Harbor Freight sells a drywall hoist that gets fairly good reviews. They are normally $300, but are currently $100 off. Add the 20% off coupon that I received in the mail, and the price drops down to $160. Then I found out that the stores have an in-house coupon for 25% off, but it is good only on Easter Sunday. I called my local store and they told me they only had one drywall hoist in stock. Fearing it would get snatched up by Sunday, I decided 20% off was good enough.

I brought it home and assembled it. The owners manual is worthless, but I found a very good assembly video on YouTube. It took me about 15 minutes to put it together. I wheeled it over to the motorhome and it reaches the roof perfectly. Overkill? Perhaps, but it makes a cumbersome job a heck of a lot easier! Now I just have to figure out where to store the darn thing...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice You're smart to cover it IMHO.

We cover our RV too - protection from the SoCal Sun.

Thanks to HOA and community laws, it has to be in a secure lot, so we can't erect a cover. Plus covered storage starts around $550 a month in these parts, so the cover goes on any time the RV will sit over a month 'er so.

Be safe up on the roof.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:40 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Brilliant idea......I know without my sons help getting that cover up would be a job and a half.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

hi guys do you have problems with the wind moving the cover, wearing on the paint on your sidewalls. some say it ruins your paint, I need one but decided to see if you have had a problem with yours. thanks for any advice. coolhand 108
Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
What ever it takes to get it done!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
hi guys do you have problems with the wind moving the cover, wearing on the paint on your sidewalls. some say it ruins your paint, I need one but decided to see if you have had a problem with yours. thanks for any advice. coolhand 108
I too have heard such complaints, but here’s my experience. I live in the Inland Empire of SoCal where the Santa Ana winds whip up on a frequent basis. I always wash the RV before I cover it and I make sure that my cover is securely fastened. I also a keep a good coat of wax on the RV. I have never experienced any damage caused by the cover. The covers do wear out over time and they can develop tears, but that is something you get use to dealing with.

I have a friend who buys his covers exclusively from Camping World. He buys their product protection warranty for an extra $100. The first sign of a tear, he returns it to CW and exchanges it for a new one. He then pays another $100 for the protection on the replacement cover. This way he only pays full price for a cover once. Great idea IMO. I’m going to try his system with my next cover.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand108 View Post
High winds will balloon a poorly fitted cover. Get one that fits and has straps at the ends to prevent it from blowing around. I only use 2 bungy cords on the cover under the frame of the RV to prevent the cover from being too tight...wear on corners and sharp edges is bad for the cover.

The materials on current covers will not damage the paint. You, of course should avoid using tarps for RV covers. Vinyl tarps will damage paint.

If the RV is dirty then a cover could grind against the dirt and damage the paint.

Keep the RV and cover clean and there's no problem...and much better than sun damage.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We bought the cover from the RVs original owner when we bought the RV. Sunbrella fabric made by Adco. What a wonderful cover!

krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote