Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
RV cover purchase advice

looking to by rv cover. the ones i found are rv cover with tyvek by adco $359. next coverd wagon tri polypro $259 from rv travel mats. next ultra guard #45747 $299 or ultra sheild $399 from eastern marine. next premiun poly 300 $449 from elitemotoronline.next deluxe poly pro111 series $356 from market may wharehouse.next poly300 $469 from advantage distributing. just like to know feed back they all say repel water and snow vented and breathable thanks for any com back
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #2

If you have a rubber roofed motorhome do not use a cover. I found out the hard way by covering our 1994 Fleetwood Coronado years ago. The wind constantly buffeting the cover wore the rubber coating on the roof right off and made it fall into little pieces that were stuck all over the side of the motorhome. Therefore I will never own a RV with a rubber roof again. Just be careful as to what a cover will rub on in windy conditions.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried a cover and gave up on it. No matter how well you had it tied down, there was some looseness when the wind blew. It caused some chafing at the corners and actually wore through the cover in places. It was also a major pain to get it on the coach. I would not bother to use one again.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've used an ADCO cover on our MH for the last 3 winters. I think this will be it's last. We're going to build a RV port for it.

Pros: Cheap compared to paying for inside storage. Kept the motorhome clean & free from UV exposure. Easy access to the interior of the motorhome with the zippered area next to door
Cons: Very bulky & heavy. You'll never get it folded up as tight as when it arrives new. Don't try to put on or take off if windy. Been there, done that! Ditto what Ken said. You have to pad every possible projection as it will wear through the cover (i.e. take off antenna & pad the bud, cover slide out awning projections, pad tv antenna ends, take off solar panels) We also had paint rubbed off on the bottom corners & wear along the roof edges of the motorhome. See below pics.

After the first winter, we learned to turn the coach around to face INTO the prevailing winds. Since the bulk of the excess cover was gathered at the rear, having face opposite of what it did the 1st winter kept the cover flapping & rubbing to a bare minimum.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for replys

i think we'll look at a car port
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Try googling MH covers. I currently use a Classic RV cover to cover my 07 Dip. Covering the MH is alot easier now that I have a system. I use a 100 gallon rolling trash can to store my cover and when I get home I wash my MH and then roll the trash can up to the front and DW hands me the end and I simply pull it up. When taking it off we simply reverse the process back into the container. Yeah, it is not easy to cover it but I think it is worth the work, espically because I dont have any black streaks to clean off.

When DW retires in 3 years we are selling the house and moving out of CA and building a MH garage.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
When DW retires in 3 years we are selling the house and moving out of CA and building a MH garage.
Wow, is it a small world or what? I retire in 3 years as well. The DW wants to come home when I do. I told her the only way we can afford to, is to sell our house in SoCal and pay cash for a home out of state. She's resisited that notion for years, but now she says she's on board with the idea. Assuming of course the real estate market has rebounded by then. I also want to build my own RV garage.

Boy, did I get off topic or what? Sorry!

Back to the cover question: I live in a windy area. I used Adco covers for years and they just didn't last. I switched to the Ultra Shield two years ago and I'm very happy with it. The integrated tie downs do a good job of keeping the cover intact when it's blow'n outside.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
Wow, is it a small world or what? I retire in 3 years as well. The DW wants to come home when I do. I told her the only way we can afford to, is to sell our house in SoCal and pay cash for a home out of state. She's resisited that notion for years, but now she says she's on board with the idea. Assuming of course the real estate market has rebounded by then. I also want to build my own RV garage.

Boy, did I get off topic or what? Sorry!

Back to the cover question: I live in a windy area. I used Adco covers for years and they just didn't last. I switched to the Ultra Shield two years ago and I'm very happy with it. The integrated tie downs do a good job of keeping the cover intact when it's blow'n outside.

Craig
Craig,

I need to replace my cover and will check out Ultra Shield. I just retired in December and am loving it, look forward to DW retiring in 3 years. Start the countdown.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are some places (Seashore for example) where a cover might make sense due to salt spray.

But in most places you are better off without a cover.. If say a bit of sand gets inside the cover.. Then the wind blows.. You are now sandpapering your rig,, and though there are a couple of spots on this rig that could stand a bit of sandpaper... The odds of that grain of sand being in one of them ... Well.. Let's just say right close to the odds of a snowball surviving a trip through an operating Blast Furnace (Rather small)
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #10

RV Cover

Have debated about covers and know from experience that just taking off a car can be a pain. We are in California and no snow so the only thing is sun and rain. The RV is parked under trees which in its self can be a bird problem. It is a 2006 Four Winds with a rubberized roof. Others who have similar RV's around the area do not have covers...in fact I have never seen one...even in the storage lots we have in the area. I have ordered a windshield cover for privacy and to just keep the inside cool...also some wheel covers. I have looked into canopies like those with poles and a white covering but much too ugly for our neighbors.
From what I am reading it seems buying a cover for several hundred dollars is a waste of money.
wpatters1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatters1229
Have debated about covers and know from experience that just taking off a car can be a pain. We are in California and no snow so the only thing is sun and rain. The RV is parked under trees which in its self can be a bird problem. It is a 2006 Four Winds with a rubberized roof. Others who have similar RV's around the area do not have covers...in fact I have never seen one...even in the storage lots we have in the area. I have ordered a windshield cover for privacy and to just keep the inside cool...also some wheel covers. I have looked into canopies like those with poles and a white covering but much too ugly for our neighbors.
From what I am reading it seems buying a cover for several hundred dollars is a waste of money.
You will also notice tons of sun damage on the paint job on all those without covers. I chose the lesser of two evils and got a cover for my TT.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #12

Don't waste your $$. It will still mold even worse and you will Tyre of putting it on.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Bought the Adco cover. Used it one season. Hated cleaning it and trying to get dry before putting it away.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I am on my 2nd cover and as much work as it is my Diplomat paint looks new. I did not cover my last MH and there is a big difference. I have a 100 gallon rolling trash container that I store it in which works very well. I have one of the new Adco covers and it actually fits my 40PDQ.