Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Cover warranty?

My father had always used an RV cover and his Coaches have always looked great. He is no longer with us so I could not ask him this. I am considering an RV cover and going to buy it from camping world. They are offering a four year warranty for parts and labor for $99.00 it covers wind, rain, hail damage and normal wear and tear. I was wondering if anyone has purchased this warranty and had to use it. If so, what did the warranty cover.
Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
My father had always used an RV cover and his Coaches have always looked great. He is no longer with us so I could not ask him this. I am considering an RV cover and going to buy it from camping world. They are offering a four year warranty for parts and labor for $99.00 it covers wind, rain, hail damage and normal wear and tear. I was wondering if anyone has purchased this warranty and had to use it. If so, what did the warranty cover.
Looking forward to hearing your responses.
Paratrooper
IMO paying Camping World $99 for anything is nearly the same as burning a $100 bill.
BTW my 20 year old coach has never been covered...and still "looks great".
But it's your money... you are free to spend it anywhere/any way you want to.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 03-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

I used to have a cover for my last coach and now I will not bother with the pain it is to put on and take off. As far as a warranty from CW, I would not even give it a thought and if you read all the small print it probably will have a reason for them not to come up with the money if needed. What type of labor is this thing covering also, that seems strange and the price of this warranty is 1/3 the cost of a new cover, forget it.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #4

I cover my RV. A previous TT I stored at a treed lot turned green because of the shade. Ever since I have used a cover which keeps my RV clean and leak free over the winter. We now store at a different and open lot but I still cover my RV over wintertime. It is a hassle to install and remove so during the spring, summer and early fall it is generally left uncovered.

I wouldn't pay CW (or anyone else) for the "warranty". If you are careful installing and removing the cover you shouldn't have an issue. I had 6 years on my last cover and it still had life left when I included it in the sale of the TT. I bought a cover on Craigslist for my current RV. While it was a couple of years old, it had never been taken out of the box. I see these advertised on CL often. Last year when I was removing it, a zipper got caught on the awning tube and ripped the zipper apart. I contacted the manufacturer (Classic), explained the circumstances of my purchase and the age of it and asked if they would sell me a zipper. They volunteered to replace the entire cover for no charge and even included covering shipping to me. This was on a 2 year old cover, that someone else bought, I paid $100 for it, and it was my fault that it needed repair. I don't think you need to give CW extra money. By the way look at Classic RV covers as they really stand behind their product.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #5

I'll say they will get you under the normal wear and tear. I've owned 2 and both made it about 4 years just using in the winter time. Both got holes due to slides I now have a steel carport.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
I cover my RV. A previous TT I stored at a treed lot turned green because of the shade. Ever since I have used a cover which keeps my RV clean and leak free over the winter. We now store at a different and open lot but I still cover my RV over wintertime. It is a hassle to install and remove so during the spring, summer and early fall it is generally left uncovered.

I wouldn't pay CW (or anyone else) for the "warranty". If you are careful installing and removing the cover you shouldn't have an issue. I had 6 years on my last cover and it still had life left when I included it in the sale of the TT. I bought a cover on Craigslist for my current RV. While it was a couple of years old, it had never been taken out of the box. I see these advertised on CL often. Last year when I was removing it, a zipper got caught on the awning tube and ripped the zipper apart. I contacted the manufacturer (Classic), explained the circumstances of my purchase and the age of it and asked if they would sell me a zipper. They volunteered to replace the entire cover for no charge and even included covering shipping to me. This was on a 2 year old cover, that someone else bought, I paid $100 for it, and it was my fault that it needed repair. I don't think you need to give CW extra money. By the way look at Classic RV covers as they really stand behind their product.

I bought a Classic cover on sale thru CW last Feb but didn't get to use it until November. We've had a lot of high gusty wind this winter and I noticed a seam failed along the roofline. In reviewing their warranty info on the website it appears the cover I bought is their top line cove and carries a lifetime warranty. I submitted a claim about a week and a half ago but have not heard anything from them yet. Still on standby.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I bought a Classic cover on sale thru CW last Feb but didn't get to use it until November. We've had a lot of high gusty wind this winter and I noticed a seam failed along the roofline. In reviewing their warranty info on the website it appears the cover I bought is their top line cove and carries a lifetime warranty. I submitted a claim about a week and a half ago but have not heard anything from them yet. Still on standby.

jt

Not my experience at all. They contacted me within days of my email. Of course, that was a year ago. I'd contact them again and ask what is happening.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #8

RV Cover warranty?

I used an ADCO cover for 10 years to prevent freeze/thaw damage on the roof when I lived where there was Winter. No warranty needed. Great product!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #9

I purchased my first cover from CW for around $450 including the extended warranty. That cover lasted about 2 years. Took it back and got another cover, paid the $99 for the extended warranty. That cover lasted a year. (my trailer was stored in a very windy area) Took that cover in and received a brand new cover. That cover will stay in the box because we are now living in our trailer full time. So for me CW honored there warranty and it paid off for me. I thought it was a good deal.

2014 Alpine 3500RE
dgwilson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgwilson40 View Post
I purchased my first cover from CW for around $450 including the extended warranty. That cover lasted about 2 years. Took it back and got another cover, paid the $99 for the extended warranty. That cover lasted a year. (my trailer was stored in a very windy area) Took that cover in and received a brand new cover. That cover will stay in the box because we are now living in our trailer full time. So for me CW honored there warranty and it paid off for me. I thought it was a good deal.
I had the same experience with a cover from CW. I used it for 2 years and took it back due to tears from the ladder. CW replaced the cover no questions asked. Since I have a garage to store the coach in now, I sold the cover still in the box.

Would I buy another one from CW with the extended warranty? Absolutely. If I were parking outside that is.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are buying their premium all climate cover which is their top of the line, the standard warranty is 2 years. I worked there a few years ago and it seemed whatever the warranty was is about how long they lasted. If they failed prior to the two years, they were replaced no questions asked. The 99.00 warranty basically doubles the std. two years out to 4 years. Again they will replace it no questions asked. I would do it. They do fail due to wind. With the warranty, you will basically get at least two maybe three covers for your money.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By the way, that new elements cover is really nice, so nice I bought one. Had a friend that still works there get me a discount, and yes I bought the warranty.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
Not my experience at all. They contacted me within days of my email. Of course, that was a year ago. I'd contact them again and ask what is happening.

Called them this morning. My replacement cover is on back order until mid-April. So all appears to be good.

jt

harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Called them this morning. My replacement cover is on back order until mid-April. So all appears to be good.

jt

Glad for you!