Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
RV Covers

Should I cover my rv when it is not being used? Sould I cover my RV in the winter?
2013 Coachmen 21QB Freelander

campdog416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most people that have bought covers find out that they are hard to put on dry and even harder to put on wet. They also find out that if the cover isn't tied down good it will rub and leave marks on the paint.

After reading about all the hassles I don't.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I covered ours from jan thru mid march. It has otherwise been uncovered.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Although it costs more, covered storage is the best option.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Was all ready to put this "cover" with roll down door over my coach. Sadly, city has height supplement to their setback rules. 3' needed up to 8' tall then add 2' for each additional 1' above that 8' standard. For a 15' tall garage that's a 17' all around setback, which I cannot come close to meeting. Which would you choose? This:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1657286337.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	21308

Or a 40' gift wrapped box eye sore? Now limited to standard cover or none at all.
2004 Wanderlodge M380 w/ 2013 Fiat 500 Pop Toad
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cover mine and have for ten years. I am glad I do; I am convinced it has protected my rig very well. However, I live in Seattle a fairly temperate climate. Mostly it is covered in summer because we are winter travelers. My storage place is somewhat protected from winds.

I am a seasonal traveler. Basically store the unit then take one big six months sojourn and then store it again. So I do not take it off and on put about four times per year.

I get my cover on and off by myself. I am 70 years old (be careful up there). Covers last about 3 to five years and they all tear and deteriorate. This last cover, my third, is a Premier ADCO brand from Camping World, the best one I have had. I purchased replacement insurance and have been told that I can go in a replace it once only when it rips. If that is true then the combination will keep me in covers for eight years for around $600.

They will chafe corners even if tied down a little hand buffing has resolved the chafing for me nothing serious. If a painted rig might pose more of a problem in that regard.

If I had space at my home I would build a permanent cover but my guess is few of us have that situation.

Most people do not cover their rigs. In my storage area of about ten rigs I am the only one covered.

I can say that my ten year old rigs looks basically new (I also wax). Not sure I can say the same about the other nine.

So it is a mixed bag with no resolution and no real definative answer; try one see if you like it maybe? If not then you have spent $350, $400 experimenting. Good luck on your decision.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We covered for 3 winters. I wouldn't cover between trips, only for extended periods. Pros: inexpensive, kept it clean, kept the UV rays off. Cons: bulky & hard to handle, definitely a 2-person job, need to find a LARGE box to store it even when rolled/folded up, prone to tears from even the slightest projection, rubbed finish on lower bay door corners & roof edges (see pics in my photo albums).

Granted, it's better than nothing, but only you can decide if it's worth it. We chose to build an RV port after 3 winters of use.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
We had a 2009 outback 5ver it was stored outside
in two years the sun was very hard on the decals,
the front cap decals started pealing off.
We sold the Outback in 2011 brought a Cougar and
found covered storage for it no more sun beating down
on it cost more, went from $66 a month to $150.
I know covered storage is better for the roof also.

1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote