Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #15

I use covers and they are a pain at times but so is watching your RV age in the weather while you are still making payments. I learned over the years to roll them up the same way every time so when I pick it up to install it , it goes on the same way every time. Tying it down and snug as reasonably possible will prevent a lot of problems related to wear points. I bought a 4" foam kids play ball and hollowed it out and glued it to a long wooden closet rod and use that when I need to push it from the ground. I lay it spread out on the ground behind my RV and use a rope tied to the end and pull it up that way so you don't have to lift the whole weight up a ladder.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #16

I have an Adco cover, and like it. Our motorhome has full body paint with clearcoat, and I wax it in the fall before putting the cover on. We store the motorhome in our driveway and it's very satisfying to uncover a clean shiny motorhome every spring. The covers have zippers near, or at, the door so interior access isn't a problem. I pull the cover side up over the generator exhaust pipe when I exercise the generator each month.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
About 3 or 4 years ago both myself and my brother in law purchased ADCO covers. We put his on his MH and discovered that while it was fairly easy to put on, it was a different story getting it off, especially with no help. I never used the one I bought. I just rebuilt my shelter and gave the cover away. If you are able to climb up and down the ladder of your MH and have aq little help, they are ok. But, if not properly strapped on they will beat the paint from the mh if the wind blows very much. Mainly they were just a pain in the butt to use for us.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyyyy View Post
Any input about your experience good or bad would great... I'm moving and loosing the carport that covers my 5ver now... Just looking for opinions
Thanks
I would recommend the Carver 6oz Polyester RV cover. Try CoverQuest.com they carry both Carver and ADCO manufacturer. You can read about the differences.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have covered my MH since new. I feel it has kept the finish new looking along with the waxing I do.

I now have the ADCO Elite with the warranty from CW. This is the best for the price cover I have owned. I will test the warranty out in a couple of years. Until then.. I am able to get the cover on and off by myself (not reccomended but not that difficult). Easier with two people obviously. I'm seventy years old in reasonable condition.

It rips, I sew. It chafes I rub. It wears out (they last from 3 to five years) I buy again.

I am a seasonal user so I only remove and install my cover about four to five times per year if that. If I used my MH more frequently I might object to the extra effort to deal with a cover.

Also my rig is stored in a partially protected area surrounded by walls and other rigs. If I was exposed and my cover tore to shreds in a big wind storm I might think differently.

Most people do not cover their RV's. The storage lot where mine is kept out of about twenty rigs only three are covered. That is two more than when I was the only one ten years ago. My rig looks new the others not so new.

For me when I examined the local cost of inside storage then the cover was the best option.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #20

Something else for this newbie to think about... It makes good sense to keep the motor home covered...IMO. Now that I have my motor home's bugs nearly all worked out (from the PDI) I might invest in a cover.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #21

Curious how you guys store your cover when not using it. This thing its huge even the box it was delivered in was prob 3 sq ft.
Im thinking of trying one of those vacume bags to mimimize the size and to protect it.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Danger

If there's any wind at all the cover can become a sail and will blow you right off the roof. Standing on the cover is not an option either because they are slippery. It wasn't worth the risk. I used it twice and put it away for good.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Curious how you guys store your cover when not using it. This thing its huge even the box it was delivered in was prob 3 sq ft.
Im thinking of trying one of those vacume bags to mimimize the size and to protect it.
I saw a video on removing the cover. Now I can't find it but basically, there were two people.
They pulled the sides up onto the roof so the cover was stretched out the length of the roof. Then one person went down and they had a large plastic garbage can at the rear of the MH. The person on the ground pulled the cover down into the can while the guy on the roof guided along so it did not drop over the edge.
Looked pretty easy and when they were finished, put the lid on the can and it is ready to store.
Also, when it comes time to put it back on, you know where the front of the cover is. Just pull onto the roof and spread it out.
I put a cover on my rig last fall for the 1st time and plan to try this in the spring.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, I'm not sure it is

but I vow to protect your right to do with yours what you please !

And there's a reason they sell EZEE UP RV Cover Lift - Intersource Enterprises D10-231 - Cover Accessories - Camping World too - heck the ladder barely supports ME, much less me and the cover !
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Storage is a problem. I happen to have a place where I put it then it becomes a catchall for miscellaneous stuff.

But as a practical matter most of the time it is in the garage we are gone. we remove it in preparation for leaving.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #26

Used Adco on mine for over 10 years. If secured properly, no tears, no scrubbing, no troubles. The Tyvek top allows it to breathe nicely; never a problem there either.
Do not put it on/off without help or with much wind blowing.
****Covering prevents the freeze/thaw cycle from messing with the roof seams. So, it is cover it or inside storage, or roof repair.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
Just ordered one for our M.H., I just have to have one as I am very finicky about my vehicles as well as everything else. My dw loves to tell the story of catching me ironing my money as I like my money with no ears turned down and not wrinkled.
Hi Tom, I have known people to be a little OCD, but ironing your money, that is a new one. all in fun. happy trails Old trucker
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #28

I bought one last year and after the first windy day I noticed the nylon rope or should I say string they provide to hold it on was torn into a few pieces. The storage place called me to tell me the cover had blown off. So I went out and bought done ratcheting straps rated at 200lbs. Everything was good till spring when another windy day came thru with gusts around 50mph. the cover stayed on but all but about two of the tie down straps ripped off the cover. So I need to see if they will honor the 2yr warranty since I didn't use their string to hold it on.