Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
RV COVERS .... Yes or no ?

Any input about your experience good or bad would great... I'm moving and loosing the carport that covers my 5ver now... Just looking for opinions

Voltage 3200 T.H. tugged by an 04 F250 CrewCab 6.0 4x4 "Bone stock motor" bilstein's w/air lift , Max Brake controller... yep its heavy... I just take my time
Grumpyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are many threads on this. Search " RV covers ".

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cover mine...just protecting the investment. It's a hassel to put-on and take off, but the alternative is chalking gell coat, peeling stickers, and roof damage from the sun.
Bought a mid-priced cover so it fits pretty well, but is much less $$ than a custom. That way I can just replace after 3 years or so without the sticker shock of buying a new custom.
Can't afford the covered RV storage lot - but that would be the BEST!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Pain in the neck if you are in and out if your trailer regularly. Had one on for about three weeks and it shredded in the wind. IMHO they arw a waste of time and money
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you can, find another carport/garage/shed. It's well worth it rather than the hassle of a cover.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Just ordered one for our M.H., I just have to have one as I am very finicky about my vehicles as well as everything else. My dw loves to tell the story of catching me ironing my money as I like my money with no ears turned down and not wrinkled.
Benicia Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
As with any question on this forum you will get all kinds of answers. I have had covers and do not have one now. I have full body paint and keep a good wax job on the unit and have had no problems. The last motorhome I had was gel-coat and I did have a cover but did get some rub marks from the wind and a loose fit. I guess its to each his own. Some like them, some dont.. Good luck whatever you decide. Don
s.j.sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
I had ours covered when we lived in Western Washington. The cover kept the green slimey moss to a minimum.
USN, Retired
2002 Tradewinds LTC Founders Ed
2004 Tundra Double Cab toad, 2007 Honda Goldwing
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Been using the same cover for 4 years and have not had any problems. Putting it on and taking it off is not that big of a problems. Its on a 37 ft 5th wheel. Well worth the cost.
Danjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
So I also bought a middle of the road cover and installed it myself. (not easy) Especially if you have any amount of wind at ALL! I realized after strapping it down I put in on backwards Front was on the rear. Apparently too difficult to print front or rear on the cover.
Whatever I didnt plan on going back inside until spring. So it comes with about 100ft of nylon rope to secure it through the various eyelets along the bottom. No instructions or even suggested methods of attaching the cover. So I decided on starting at the rear tying a knot in the first eyelet and then zig zagging my way to the front with a final knot at the front.
Two weeks later the storage place calls me to say the cover blew off. The rope is in about 4 different pieces. That didnt work. So I go over and attempt to re-install it on a 20 degree day in a 15mph wind alone. Did not happen. So I balled it up to the size of your washing machine and stuffed it into the trailblazer.
Waited about two weeks until 1) No snow 2) No rain 3) No wind 4) Had daylight. 5) Had help.
So I installed it and this time I had bought ratcheting tow straps rated at 150lbs and used them to secure the cover. It looked much better and hopefully will stay in place. I will let you know.
2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #11

I bought an Adco cover from CW this fall. It went on real slick. The package was labeled FRONT. Took the bundle up the ladder (two people) and spread it out from front to back. Dropped the sides down and connected the straps. They even supply a dummy strap with a weight on the end that you use to toss the strap from one side to the other.
I am told a person can feed it off the roof into a large plastic garbage can when it comes time to remove it.
So far the process was fairly painless but, I did not plan on the ladder and with the wind, it wore four holes into the cover from the edges of the ladder rungs. Bought the CW Unconditional 3 Yr. Warranty so I guess we will put that to the test come spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Cover 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	33723   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Cover 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	33724  

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
Love my ADCO...I roll it back up when taking it off up on the roof for the next time she goes back on...tie some line to it and lift it up there...bet it weighs 30 lbs or so...but it keeps the coach like new!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1378016808.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	33725  
Fish Carver
"Tessie" the 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
Toad: 2015 Chevy Calorado
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A factor is your ability to put the cover on and off. I cannot get onto the roof of the MH. If I were storing the coach for an extended amount of time, like through the winter, I would have one put on. But for the couple times monthly we use the coach the on/off would not be doable.

I do plan to build a RV carport this summer. The most bang for the buck when it comes to protecting the MH, IMHO.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
It's better than nothing.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote