Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

RV crashed into home

Here in Florida in Columbia County, town of Lake City, a motor home left I 75, went through the ditch, fencing, across a road through someone's yard and into their house. News 4 Jax covered it among other news sources. Do you think speed was a factor considering how far he traveled off the highway?

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Link: RV crashes into home in Lake City | News - Home

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! Glad no one was seriously hurt!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Why is it in both of these accidents one of the first comments is "it was some old geezer who doesn't know how to drive and needs to no speciallicense". Seems like a bunch of fools with nothing better to do than run their mouths in my opinion......
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are videos around here which can save your life..THey are talking about Tire Failure (It is a sticky in one of the forum).

I found them interesting, which means I learned something.

In the original thread the qustion of speed was asked. I can not say if it was or not.. I can say this.. The FHP has the ability to figure out how fast they were traveling when the tire blew... and when they do,, the speed they come up with is like +/- 1 MPH.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
Why is it in both of these accidents one of the first comments is "it was some old geezer who doesn't know how to drive and needs to no speciallicense". Seems like a bunch of fools with nothing better to do than run their mouths in my opinion......
Well, was it an old geezer who doesn't know how to drive?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
It says age 53. Not old in my book. It also said "charges pending". Really wonder....
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #8

The accident that happened in Louisiana clearly showed a motorhome passing an over the road truck. I don't know how fast he was going, but I have never seen a OTR truck going less than the limit. I think he was doing a pretty good clip. JMO

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The video that has been around that says floor it when your tire blows should maybe say, after gaining control let off on the throttle!
Old 05-13-2015, 12:00 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
The accident that happened in Louisiana clearly showed a motorhome passing an over the road truck. I don't know how fast he was going, but I have never seen a OTR truck going less than the limit. I think he was doing a pretty good clip. JMO
Or the state has a two tier speed limit although usually the RV and truck ones are the same. Here in WA you're required to go the truck speed limit if towing anything. Without the tow you can go the car speed limit which might be 70 and truck speed could be 55. I don't like have the trucks going so slow as they cause unsafe passing by some car drivers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:27 AM   #11

Maybe he was in the back making a sandwich, and had the cruise control on thinking it was an auto pilot. You know that has happened in the past. Hope no one was hurt, or hurt too bad.

Funny but not funny, all depends on how much it cost them.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:54 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
RV, not RV. It really doesn't matter. The world is full of examples of drivers who don't react in the best fashion when confronted with an emergency situation. We all know the types, the ones that don't deal well with blow outs, can't steer their way out of a skid or handle snow. It is not specific to Motorhome drivers, or old people, or women or what have you. It is about driving skills and those that drive with a lack of them can be found across all age groups, genders and ethnicity's.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
RV, not RV. It really doesn't matter. The world is full of examples of drivers who don't react in the best fashion when confronted with an emergency situation. We all know the types, the ones that don't deal well with blow outs, can't steer their way out of a skid or handle snow. It is not specific to Motorhome drivers, or old people, or women or what have you. It is about driving skills and those that drive with a lack of them can be found across all age groups, genders and ethnicity's.
Well said.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree totally. I watch how some people drive and wonder how they ever received a driver's license.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote