Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Dealers & Ext Warr Insurance Fraud

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has experienced this w/ B.Young RV or another dealer:
I purchased a used 2004 Allegro Bay a few years back with an HWH leveler alarm issue "fix" written into the purchase agreement as a condition of signing.
They had it in the shop about 4 times for a total of ~8 weeks over the past few years, but didn't fix it. It was suppose to go in--in August, but the Dealer began coercing me to use my Good Sam Extended Warranty. I refused because 1. I already paid for the fix in the purchase agreement and 2. The issue is a pre-existing condition under the terms of my ext warr policy.
They refused to talk to me--including the owner, B. Young.
I contacted Good Sam to see about getting it into their Action Line in their Highways magazine, when it was discovered the Dealer had fraudulently submitted afalse $2500 claim on the last fix 2 days after they had me pick up the RV, and concealed it from me by using my signature from another form---and paying the deductible!!!
The Good Sam underwriter rep says they will no longer do business with this Dealer's shop, and that so many shops are doing it, they just get their money back and stop doing business with them. Now I have to deal with an Attorney General and lawyer.
So, I'm wondering, have you experienced this, how common it is, and how did it turn out for you.
BTW, yes, I did contact Tiffin--it was before the insurance fraud was discovered, but even so, there was no resolution to fix the leveling system. From HWH, it could cost up to $8k.
Thanks. Appreciate your feedback.
Stranded in Oregon.
tealstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #2

I can't believe people do that. As a dealer, I can understand not being able to fix something and wasting money on it, but I'm not going to forge a signature.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's fraud I would start out in small claims court and go further if necessary!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would also contact the Attorney General's office in your state. Also, the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection (just google it). Keep us updated and if anything helped.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs down ongoing drama...

Hi,

Thank you for your support and ideas.

It actually appears to be multiple felonies committed including interstate wire fraud. Nothing has been resolved, and all I can say is make sure no dealer implicates you in something like this because they can leave you with all the blame. That has not happened here--refused over in emails---but just be careful of this scam.

I tried to settle it with the dealer with a letter to pay for the fix or take the RV back. He appears to not be an honorable man: He hired an "auto accident attorney" who had been disbarred from practicing law in OR and WA for some misconduct. I laughed myself to sleep for 2 nights.

But I had to follow it to a logical legal impasse---now I will file multiple complaints with US and State AG's, licensing bureau's, etc., and that may take some time for them to respond, but will keep you posted. I also suspect 'perps'" may be listening in here....

Meanwhile, that is the scoop.

Thanks again.

Warmly,

Tealstar
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, looks like it's in your court (pun intended) to sue them if the state AG's can't help. Maybe small claims court, although there's no force behind the verdict to collect on the verdict in WA. Been there, won twice and never collected a ¢.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
private messages

Oh, and sorry for not answering the privatre messages. My browser may be blocking pop-up's and I have to figure out how to disengage it for this site. Hope the messages are still there.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Tealstar, I was reading your post and was wondering if this is a particular group.

Then when you said Wa and Or. I would almost bet that the Dealership in question
is owned by individuals somewhere close to Tacoma. I sold flooring in the Tacoma
area for many years. I have dealt with these individuals many times. Without
slandering or sounding predjidicual they have been sued more times than there
are posts in these forums. They are heavily into car lots and RV lots in Wa. and Or.

I hope you get some resolve. I can assure you the Attorney General and just about
every agency related to commerce has heard of them.

Good luck and safe travels. BJ
bjcarpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure you have any grounds to sue over the extended warranty - you suffered no damages there and a court would likely say you have "no standing" in the issue (I've been down a similar route myself). The warranty company did have damages, though, and they can sue to recover. However, you can sue for breach of the original contract that required a fix. And contact your state AG or local police to see if the claim forgery is a criminal offense in your state.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
BJ: I think BYoung is a sole proprietor, but not entirely certain if he is involved with other businesses under a different name. The more RV people I run into locally, the more I hear "...no one has anything good to say about them..." It wouldn't surprise me if the IRS is watching them too.

Gary: You are correct, QBE/Good Sam has grounds to sue over the extended warranty. But that is just not cost effective for them. The worst they can do to them, and have done, is stop doing business with them.
The best that can happen is if the local business community puts a bad actor, who does not abide by written agreements, out of business.

I have suffered damages by refusing to participate to defraud Good Sam as well as the breach, but unless there are punitive damages, it is no use suing, unless I can find a pro bono attorney. I'm more of a justice-gal, money does not motivate me. I'm having more fun calling the credit unions and banks who enable this bad behavior by giving them money, filing complaints under the Dodd-Frank Consumer Protection Act; and US and State Attorney Generals.

If the fix to this is truly only around $1200.00---what a stupid act. It is truly baffling.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #11

In a conversation with one of BYoung's sales personnel, Bruce Young and the owner of Bretz RV (Idaho, WA and Montana) are in partnership at the Portland location. Too bad they are pulling this kind of bs as I was considering an offer to them on a new Tiffin. I will reconsider that as I don't like rewarding people who are dishonest in their business.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Bretz RV in Idaho

Capnqball: You just solved a strange puzzle. Last month, I kept getting repeated prank phone calls after midnight---my phone recorded the number & I called it the next day--- it was from this dealership in ID.

Appears from not abiding by written contracts to insurance & wire fraud to the twice disbarred "auto accident" neurotic attorney he hired, who leeps sending email that I don't open & finally blocked--to his partner dealer in ID doing prank phone calls????

Its like dealing with the 10 year olds!

Geesh! Find an honest, mature adult to buy an RV from! There is enough chaos in the world without being preyed upon by another American.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #13

Glad I could Help. That's what these forums are about, thank God.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #14

We purchased a gently used Tiffin from B. Young RV last year and had a fabulous experience. Any pre-existing issues with the coach were repaired without question and in a timely manner. The finance, service and sales staff have been wonderful to deal with even as we've had additional matters arise since the purchase. I'm truly surprised that your experience hasn't been positive.
touramerica is offline   Reply With Quote