Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #15

Stopped by Lazy Days in Tucson several years ago and looked into trading. The "salesman" would only tell us what our payment was for the next 20 years, not what he was giving us on the trade in or any other information that we wanted. I actually made him angry when I told him that I had never been treated like that when I traded vehicles. The funny part was that I could have written him a check to cover the trade but all he wanted to talk about was monthly payments. And they wondered why Lazy Days went out of business. :-)
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
Which RV place in Spokane? Some of the dealers here are incredibly difficult to do business with. I've talked to some downright rude sales people. TThat is why we bought our RV in Idaho.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go shopping where you feel comfortable and are treated well. Aggravation is no fun and is Life is to short to be aggravated while spending YOUR money.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #18

I worked for a large Honda dealer in the 80's. The sales manager was so immature that he bragged about how many prospects he had "Blown Off". No surprise that the dealership went into a forced sale after a few years.

It takes all kinds.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Retiree View Post
Stopped by Lazy Days in Tucson several years ago and looked into trading. The "salesman" would only tell us what our payment was for the next 20 years, not what he was giving us on the trade in or any other information that we wanted. I actually made him angry when I told him that I had never been treated like that when I traded vehicles. The funny part was that I could have written him a check to cover the trade but all he wanted to talk about was monthly payments. And they wondered why Lazy Days went out of business. :-)
I think you mean Beaudrys RV. Lazy Days Bought up their facility less than a year ago...
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #20

DrivinMyHome, thank you for catching my error. I did mean Beaudry's, not Lazy Days. Hopefully Lazy Days will have a better attitude than the people at Beaudry's. Again thanks for the correction.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I've found that I'm far better off selling RVs and tow vehicles myself than expecting any kind of reasonable trade-in from a dealer.

Rusty
That's for sure.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I traded my old class c to an updated, ( but still an older model) class A, my trade in was $1,200.00 . I thought wow a 1976 ,not bad, till I picked up the auto/rv trader the following week and seen my class C at the dealer selling for $5,690.00 not to mention I was pretty upset and will no longer due any bussiness with this dealership, I learned one thing now, B-4 I decide to buy another one, I will try to sell mine on line or word of mouth. and if you are are wondering if they addded or did anything, no, nothing was updated, change nor did they need to clean it out, as I seen my favorite back scrather in the picture, well at least I know where its at now.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
The dealer is never going to give you what he can sell your old unit for, they have to make money on it. This may include any service work and parts to get it ready for sale. Then there is asking price over actual sale price.

Another thing that I have noticed with anything for sale these days, if the seller owned it, it is worth near what they paid for it. This is with anything! I was looking for a quad for Christmas last year. I went and looked at one, it was what I was looking for, condition was right, the price, about 1500 over NADA average. I offered him the average price and I thought I was going to end up in a fist fight! I told him before I made the offer where I got the number from, and he was very insulted. He figured that the 5 years he owned it and the hours it got used didn't equate to much loss of value, I don't see it that way. I never pay over NADA average for anything unless it really is in brand new never used condition.

That being said, the market for any "toy" is soft right now. Things are not worth what they once were unless it is a true "need" item. RV's are not a "need" item.
BobKomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKomar View Post
The dealer is never going to give you what he can sell your old unit for, they have to make money on it. This may include any service work and parts to get it ready for sale. Then there is asking price over actual sale price.
"Market" price is when the Buyer buys direct from the Seller. The Dealer buys for wholesale and sells for retail. A lot of buyers claim they made the best deal in the world and yet the dealers are still in business, go figure. Keep in mind the dealer takes your trade and, when he sell it, he has to fix every big or small problem you didn't tell him about... under warranty. And we all know RV's are not cheap to repair.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just bought my Bounder from a guy that didn't want to get soaked for trade in, but wanted to move it fast because he had found the coach he wanted. I saved about $3500 on it compared to what I see like units that are going for in my area. If your looking used, it pays to have the money on hand to make a deal now, or have plans to get in in short order, the screaming deals don't last these days.
BobKomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphog View Post
I traded my old class c to an updated, ( but still an older model) class A, my trade in was $1,200.00 . I thought wow a 1976 ,not bad, till I picked up the auto/rv trader the following week and seen my class C at the dealer selling for $5,690.00 not to mention I was pretty upset and will no longer due any bussiness with this dealership, I learned one thing now, B-4 I decide to buy another one, I will try to sell mine on line or word of mouth. and if you are are wondering if they addded or did anything, no, nothing was updated, change nor did they need to clean it out, as I seen my favorite back scrather in the picture, well at least I know where its at now.
They gave you $1200 for a 35 year old RV and you're upset?? And then he had the nerve to try and make money on the deal?? And now you'll never do business with him again...did you really expect him to sell it for $1250? With an RV 35 years old trust me, he did you a FAVOR by taking it off your hands.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #27

Give my 10% below NADA wholesale for my Essex and I don't care what he does with it.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #28

The rule of thumb is... it's not personal, it's just business. Your job is to hammer them on their numbers -- more on the tradein, less on the purchase. I long ago learned that trying to be nice of friendly is fine, but I never, ever let it get in the way of a single dime of money.

My rule is, if they don't hate me as a buyer at the end of the deal, I haven't done my job. I sure as heck am not a dealer charity fund!

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote