Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #29
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Agreed x2. If you have to do a trade, the trade difference is all that matters because THAT's what you're paying out of your pocket. Plus don't get wrapped up in the bias you feel for your trade. If the purchase is full MSRP at $100,000 & they give you $50,000 for your trade or they discount the MSRP to $75,000 & give you only $25,000 for your trade, you're still looking at the same $50,000 difference.
Going thru the same thing now but with smaller #'s. I have my tt listed on Craigslist, IRV2.com and SellyourRVnow.com The dealer was playing a numbers game and in the end was going to give me 10k for my trade and "0" off on the MSRP. So in reality they were going to give me 4k for my trade. The thinking here is we really like our tt. It's held up very well and the floorplan is very good. So I have no problem keeping it till something comes up. I refuse to "give" my tt away. I'm all about numbers....If I like the numbers, I'll pull the trigger.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #30
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
They gave you $1200 for a 35 year old RV and you're upset?? And then he had the nerve to try and make money on the deal?? And now you'll never do business with him again...did you really expect him to sell it for $1250? With an RV 35 years old trust me, he did you a FAVOR by taking it off your hands.

RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #31
Generally it's wholesale to wholesale or retail to retail, just remember they are in the business to make money. I've traded twice for new rigs and still happy with the deal. I still see revolutions today costing more than I paid for mine 4 years ago. So don't get in a hurry and make them work for you business there are plenty of dealers and independent rigs for sale.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #32
Dealers always try to make money on every deal, and the ones still in business make enough on most deals to cover the ones that cost them money. The successful dealers not only make enough to cover the bad deals, they make enough to make a profit. The really successful ones not only make a profit, they have customers advertising for them and customers returning to buy from them again.

We bought our mpg from a small, local dealer. We probably could have saved a few hundred dollars by buying from some larger, distant dealer, but then we wouldn't have had the offer of someone coming out to our place to help with a problem.

The best deal is when both parties come away feeling good about the deal. If the dealer didn't make much on your coach, you may find yourself at the end of the service line, waiting for parts, or made to jump through many extra hoops just to get some warranty work done.

The last time I was car shopping I found a vehicle I liked, got the KBB trade-in price, and figured a purchase price that would let the dealer make some money but was considerably less than what he was asking. I drove the car, liked it, and said I didn't have time to play games. Here is my price - take it or leave it. They came back with a counter offer, I put on my hat and coat, and walked out the door. The salesman just stood there with his mouth open.
David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Meandering Retiree View Post
Stopped by Lazy Days in Tucson several years ago and looked into trading. The "salesman" would only tell us what our payment was for the next 20 years, not what he was giving us on the trade in or any other information that we wanted. I actually made him angry when I told him that I had never been treated like that when I traded vehicles. The funny part was that I could have written him a check to cover the trade but all he wanted to talk about was monthly payments. And they wondered why Lazy Days went out of business. :-)
A dealer once tried that with me when I was 22 trying to purchase a new car. I stopped him dead in his tracks and asked him in a condescending manner... "Which one of us has a bachelors in accounting/finance??" The look on his face was priceless.

WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote