Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I have a 2006 Outback travel trailer that requires some warranty work. I took it to the local Outba
Do you feel dealerships are obligated to do warranty work? 34 75.56%
Do you feel that warranty work is the dealership's option? 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #1

swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #2

Old 05-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #3

No matter how you feel or vote the simple FACT is, Dealers can refuse to do warranty work on rigs if they so choose.

This information will no doubt cause a lot of folks blood pressure to rise. But that is how it is.............

I would suspect the dealer told you to bring the rig back during the time of year that they were not busy.

During the busy times they may have more work than they can handle with the customers that bought from them. Thus the policy of not working on rigs that were bought from them during those times.

I can give you "My opinion" as a dealer though...

We do warranty work on the brands we sell no matter where you bought it. BUT, you will be told up front that our customers and travelers take priority.

We are also the authorized repair/warranty facility for a couple of brands we do not sell also...... (This came about due to fixing problems on some rigs that were owned by folks "Passing thru")

That's just that facts folks........
Old 05-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #4

Don it is refreshing to hear that from a dealer's perspective. I agree that a dealer can not be forced to perform warranty work on any unit, purchased there or not. It is also sad that the factory does not have more power in that regard.

I agree that if a local owner brings a unit in that was purchased out of the area that your customers should come first. I am glad to hear that you will provide the service where an opening exists. I am also glad to hear that you are willing to work in customers from out of the area that are traveling through. Yours sounds like the kind of dealership we would all like to see everywhere.

I still can't understand why a dealer would totally reject working on a unit if purchased elsewhere. It would seem that the service area could potentially stimulate future sales for the business by providing good service. Besides it keeps the service techs working after all the local repairs have been completed.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:23 AM   #5

In some industries the manufacturers actually sell the product for a lower price and then "warranty" the product. When you go to have it repaired under warranty it is a nightmare because then the selling dealer is supposed to pay for the cost of the repairs. Talk about being hung out to dry. Some of the equipment for my business I just figure that I am going to get no warranty on. You buy it and take your chances.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:00 AM   #6

Well, we have heard the dealer perspective. What about you owners? When you bought your RV did you ask if there was a warranty on it? Did you ask how long and what it covered? Of course you did. Did the dealer explain that he nor any other dealer was obligated to do the warranty work? Of course he didn't.

Take a look at "outbackers.com" forum under the heading TACOMA RV REFUSES TO HONOR FACTORY WARRANTY to get the rest of the story.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It will depend on the wording of the particular franchise agreement. In some industries, the franchise very strongly requires that full warranty service be provided for the brand. Others may be less demanding.

Unfortunately, Rv industry franchises generally have little or no requirement for providing service or parts for the brand, whether warranty or customer pay. It's primarily focused on sales rather than service. That's why you often find RV sales outfits with little or no service facilities or parts inventory - they are doing as little as they can beyond sell and delivery.

It's a real shame, both for the customer and the dealership. It took the American automotive industry decades to learn that there is every bit as much money to be made in the service department as in the sales room and that a well run service shop is good for both customer satisfaction and the bottom line. The RV industry hasn't figured it out yet.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #8

This is kinda long winded, but here's a harror story from a buddy.

I have a freind who recently bought a TT from a local dealer, found some issues during the delivery walkthru, made an apointment at that time for him to bring it back and fix theses issues. There were some parts that needed to be ordered for the repair. He brought his TT back, at the agreed time, left it for two weeks, and was finally called by the dealership, and was told that all but one of the issues were fixed, and they had the parts on back order, and this repair would be done at a later date. So he went the next day to pick it up, and while waiting for them to get done with some other customers, went out and took a look at his TT. Nothing was done that was suppose to be. There was all kinds of trim left pulled off, trash and tools were scattered everywhere. When he finally got to the service rep, he questioned this, especially because this guy had called him to come pick it up. Then this service guy proceeded to tell him that they haven't been able to get to it yet, he question why he had called him to tell him to come get it, and why he said all but one repair was done. At that moment, the service manager butted in and told him he would get his GD trailer fixed when it gets fixed, and then proceeded to cuss on him for awhile. So, my buddy question both of them, asking if this is what they considered customer service, walked out the door, but made sure he stopped and got a good hold of it and slammed it as hard as he could, making sure he knocked some pictures and stuff off the wall. He hooked up his TT and has never been back.

However, he sent a freind in, because they had several really nice and very expensive MH's on the lot. His freind played with the saleman for about a week, discussing a cash price, and on the day he was suppose to go pick it up, instead of signing the deal, he proceeded to tell them that he camped next to this same guy, and he told him his service story and was putting a hold on the deal untill they could explain that to him and gaurentee that he not would get treated the same.

I haven't talked to him afte this day, but when I do' I'll find out how his situation is with them.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

For the sake of providing their "side" of the story,here is Tacoma RV's reply from the aforementioned forum..

Here at Tacoma RV Center we take pride in our Service department. There are certain policys that we had to put into effect to be able to satisfy our customers service needs, so they will not have to wait 6 weeks to get their warranty work done during peak season. We believe service is just as important as selling a unit. Our goal is to give our customer as much attention after the sale as before the sale. Tacoma RV Center is commited to helping Keystone customers that are on the road and need emergency work done. Yes we will be more than happy to get out of town RV'ers emergency problems taken care as soon as possible to get them back on the road.

Most warranty work does not enable you from enjoying your RV and having a great camping season, and most warrany work can be done during the off season.

We are not trying to offend anyone with our policy of taking care of our customers first, but we feel service after the sale is very important.

Tacoma RV Center
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #10

To me, a dealership with a policy like this is interested in the sale only, not a repeat customer. I'll be surprised if they stay in business very long.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #11

My letter to BBB:
BBB, I would not allow a person who treats customers the way Bob Bean (owner, York RV Prescott) does remain a member of your organization. In a phone conversation after my Motorhome had been in his shop for 8 weeks for 1 weeks work & been left open and $800 plus TV stolen. They don't even know when it was stolen but sat between April 20th & May11th ! I was told "Come & get it if you don't like it" When I did show up to get it I was thrown off the lot because I discovered other items missing. Rather than help(I was very upset) He stepped back & said "Bring it on" trying to get me to throw a punch and be arrested. Below is a report of the work done(lousy) and not done:

Decals replaced on body,Kitchen faucet replaced for dripping, carpet in slide bin replaced, still have part on order after 10 weeks to fix dash air. Muffler heat shield was reattached, wiring replaced by slide/muffler from burns caused by hole in muffler. DVD/VHS/Surround Sound I that was stolen while there for service was replaced. Hydraulic leveler in front replaced. $850 + TV and other items stolen while on lot were not replaced. I'm writing this from memory so may have missed something.

Evaluation of Service Performed: Decals were not replaced but painted on instead. Same dripping kitchen faucet with calcium deposits that they claim was totally replaced. Dash A/C still waiting for part due to techs checking roof A/C instead of dash A/C even after I walked service adviser around and showed exactly what needed to be done. Carpet in slide bin cut very crooked and screwed on instead of glued as original, Muffler heat shield completely loose due to use of aluminum small rivets and rattling against muffler (they put in larger stainless steel rivets before I left, so far repaired wiring appears to be OK). DVD/Surround Sound that was stolen and replaced was not connected to TV properly so no surround sound, VHS or DVD will play thru TV. Owner overheard me tell the wife more stuff was stolen so he told me to leave and I would be arrested if I came back. Worst business owner I have ever ran across in my 56 years of life.

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 AM   #12

Just curious...do the dealers get paid normal shop rates for warranty work? I have heard some place that warranty work is fixed rate from the factory and is less than shop rates. I guess under those circumstances I could understand dealers not getting too excited about doing any warranty work.
Ken

Wilson(Maltese)
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
You are correct. Warrenty work is a fixed rate and not the same as what the dealer would charge for an hourly rate. They are also given specific amounts of time for a job. If it takes 5 hrs. to do a job, but the warrenty says it should take only 4, the dealer will only be paid for 4 hrs. work. I know it is frustrating to think we pay all this $$ for our RV's and unless you take it back to your owndealer you can't get warrenty work done. That is why we decided long ago that even if we might get a better deal when buying out of state, it wasn't worth the hassel of trying to get service on our coach when needed. As it is we are about 2 1/2 hrs. away, but it is better than being days away from our dealer. We have also been fortunate to have (10 min.away) a person who is able to do warrenty work on those items that are not strictly a Winnebago item. Such as: Norcold, Dometic, Weather Pro, etc. He is also a perfectionist, and won't let it go until it is fixed right !
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:38 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
For the sake of providing their "side" of the story,here is Tacoma RV's reply from the aforementioned forum..

Here at Tacoma RV Center we take pride in our Service department. There are certain policys that we had to put into effect to be able to satisfy our customers service needs, so they will not have to wait 6 weeks to get their warranty work done during peak season. We believe service is just as important as selling a unit. Our goal is to give our customer as much attention after the sale as before the sale. Tacoma RV Center is commited to helping Keystone customers that are on the road and need emergency work done. Yes we will be more than happy to get out of town RV'ers emergency problems taken care as soon as possible to get them back on the road.

Most warranty work does not enable you from enjoying your RV and having a great camping season, and most warrany work can be done during the off season.

We are not trying to offend anyone with our policy of taking care of our customers first, but we feel service after the sale is very important.

Tacoma RV Center
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was posted in the way of damage control. After all they did spend 10 days doing admin work with the factory (so they told me) with me sending pictures, bring the TT to them for viewing more conversation with the factory (so they said)and then an appointment for the repair and yet another trip to their yard before being tossed of off the lot. Other comments on this thread are absoultely correct. Sales is the focus and service is the afterthought. Tacoma RV has about 30 acres of RVs for sale and two bays of service facility. I am sure that during their 7 months a year of "no warranty service" time their little shop is plugged tight with pred delivery work.