Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV ding - best way to deal with insurance company?

No accidents in 40+ years. Therefore no dealings with insurance companies for a long, long time. Now......backed RV into a post last week. No injuries, no others involved. No police, no damages except rear end of RV.

I let my insurance co. know of the accident and told them I may or may not file a claim. Now that some knowledgeable auto/fiberglass repair friends tell me it will be over $1000 to fix, I plan to file a claim. I have a $150 deductible.

It appears an adjuster will come to the house and look at the RV. Now what? Does he/she figure out what the repair cost will be and cut me a check? Will I be asked to visit one or more repair shops and get quotes and get back to them? Will they tell me just to pick a shop and get repairs?

I would like to know what to expect. Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #2

Depending on the company that may happen. I would get 1 or 2 other quotes before the adjuster comes out if possible. That way you have knowledge of what the cost may be and if the adjuster doesn't come up with that amount you can appeal the claim.

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my case the adjuster came out and using a laptop and computer program came up with an estimate. They sent the repair shop a check within a couple of days and said if the repair cost more they would issue another check. It did and they did.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
A suggestion for you...raise your deductible, that way your premiums will go way down and you won't have to worry about little dings. I carry $2k deductible.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

My experience is very similar to ClayL.
GMAC Ins, adjuster made an estimate and said we could take it to any shop we liked and they would work with them. Didn't go over the est so no problem.
Milt
Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #6

In my experience, there are darn few adjusters that have even a clue regarding writing an estimate of any knind on an RV. I would suggest you take the coach to the shop you plan on using and ask them to write an estimate, then call your adjuster with your claim number. He'll stop by the shop, give the coach a quick look, then bless the shop's estimate.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with Ahicks advice! Best of luck, fiberglass repairs are expensive.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I JUST went through this with my coach. A snow bank jumped out in front of my fiberglass bumper in my driveway and made a small crease... about $1500 worth of damage. My inusrance company sent an adjuster over within 2 days to the house, and put a check in an envelope inside the door before he left. We spoke while I was at work. He told me the check would be a start, and if I needed more, the repair company could call them for a supplimental. He knew what he was doing as he used to be a fibergals body guy at a local shop.

One other interesting note... In New York, if the damage is more than $1,000, you are required to file an accident report with the DMV. At that point, the vehicle now has an accident on its record.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #9

And you can expect an increase in your premiums too
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
UPDATE: Received six estimates for repairs. Two from one-person indy techs, $1000 and $3000. Four from good sized body shops. $4600; $4350; $2215 and $1603.

Accepted the $2215 quote and Nationwide had previously dealt with this shop and said go ahead. Will let you know the final result.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you report it to the insurance company, it most likely goes on the record. That's #1, #2 will cause your rates to go up. You don't have to claim anything, just notify them.

Don't believe me, call them and tell them you had an accident, wait a little while, check you status with them. It may be that different insurance companies handle that differently, but American National Auto Insurance will list it, even if you don't claim it. (ANPAC is not where my MH is insured.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
UPDATE.....the MH is back and looks good. Nationwide had sent me a two-party check for $2200+ for the repair quote. Shop found additional damage for $1100+ and was paid directly by Nationwide. Worked out well.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Never notify your insurance company about an accident and say that you're undecided if you'll make a claim. They can charge you with an accident even if you don't make the claim.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Never notify your insurance company about an accident and say that you're undecided if you'll make a claim. They can charge you with an accident even if you don't make the claim.
Seriously? They can "charge" you, as in raise your rates because of it?

Just last fall, I went through the claims process after "rubbing" my 40DP up against a concrete bridge heading into Cap Cod... leaving a nice crease through the entire 40 feet of full body paint.

I have to say that Progressive handled the entire thing to may satisfaction. We called them but told them we wouldn't be able to get it repaired for another month since we were on the road and 2000 miles from home.

I told them where I would like to have it repaired and, since the shop was withing their "network"... it was a piece of cake. At least for $6000 it was a piece of cake.

A word of caution though on Progressive's "disappearing deductible" and "accident forgiveness" features. They tried to charge me a $1000 deductible and then tried to increase my rates by about 60% at renewal time. After five years of no claims I was supposed to have no deductible and not have my rates increased due to even a major accident.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, they may have lost track of how long I had been with them when I changed residence and agents... but

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance