Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I found this link on another RV site, thought it would be helpful to iRV2 members.

Here in NC, I carry a Non-CDL Class 'A' License because my trailer has a GVWR of over 10,000 pounds. Follow the link, it discusses how various states have differing requirements.

Quote:
RV Driver's License Requirements

Individuals operating large recreational vehicles often ask if a special driver's license is required. Because driver's licenses are issued by each state (and Washington D.C.), the rules vary.

We have researched RV driver's license requirements for all fifty states plus D.C. and compiled the summary below. Our primary source of information were the official driver's license web sites for each jurisdiction. In cases of insufficient or conflicting information, we called the appropriate departments to confirm.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I found this link on another RV site, thought it would be helpful to iRV2 members.

Here in NC, I carry a Non-CDL Class 'A' License because my trailer has a GVWR of over 10,000 pounds. Follow the link, it discusses how various states have differing requirements.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RV Driver's License Requirements

Individuals operating large recreational vehicles often ask if a special driver's license is required. Because driver's licenses are issued by each state (and Washington D.C.), the rules vary.

We have researched RV driver's license requirements for all fifty states plus D.C. and compiled the summary below. Our primary source of information were the official driver's license web sites for each jurisdiction. In cases of insufficient or conflicting information, we called the appropriate departments to confirm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
In Texas, a non-CDL Class A is required only if the truck has a GCWR =&gt;26,001 and the trailer has a GVWR &gt;10,000. Ref. Texas Transportation Code, § 521.081. It reads:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">SUBCHAPTER D. CLASSIFICATION OF DRIVER'S LICENSES

§ 521.081. CLASS A LICENSE.

A Class A driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:

(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or

(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than 10,000 pounds.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The TTC defines GCWR as:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Gross combination weight rating" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination or articulated vehicle or, if the manufacturer has not specified a value, the sum of the gross vehicle weight rating of the power unit and the total weight of the towed unit or units and any load on a towed unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A non-CDL Class B license covers the large motorhome with or without a toad &lt;=10,000 lbs as shown below:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">§ 521.082. CLASS B LICENSE.

(a) A Class B driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:

(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that is more than 26,000 pounds;

(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more towing:

(A) a vehicle, other than a farm trailer, with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 10,000 pounds; or

(B) a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds; and

(3) a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more.

(b) For the purposes of Subsection (a)(3), seating capacity is computed in accordance with Section 502.162, except that the operator's seat is included in the computation.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Good job. I've tried to explain this to quite a few people in PA, lots of bad advice and info out there. I've seen reference to dealers telling folks they don't need a class B for their new 28,000# MH. It seems like most of the confusion is over CDL and non commercial classes A&B.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
In Texas, a non-CDL Class A is required only if the truck has a GCWR =&gt;26,001 and the trailer has a GVWR &gt;10,000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rusty, that's interesting..... page 1-4 (quoted below)of the Texas DL Handbook reads differently.

No question that the statutes would trump what's printed in the handbook. Are you sure that TX statute hasn't been reworded?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination
of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or
more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed
is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or
Class C, except a motorcycle or moped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
The statute governs, as you say. Believe it or not, the 2 really say the same thing as the Class B provision picks up the large motorhome (GVWR &gt;26,000) that's duplicated in the Class A statute. A Class A holder can drive a Class A, B or C vehicle. A Class B holder can drive a Class B or C vehicle. In other words, you can drive vehicles of the class specified on your license or lower, except for a motorcycle or moped which requires a Class M endorsement. My license is a Class CM, for example.

Rusty
Old 02-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried to get some clarification on this several months ago and you can get the real run around if you ever get to taqlk to a person. I finally spoke to a really helpful lady DPS sargent in Hempstead. With my truck, the GVWR =11,500# and my trailer GVWR=14,400#. My combined GVWR is 25,900#, or 100# below the limit. The trooper said the state statute allowed me to drive with my class C license.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't know if we need a Special License but some sort of training could be needed for fivers and MoHo drivers. Would like to see the insurance companies offer big discount for proper instruction.

It is not only owners that benefit from training. Last week a bicyclist was killed by a MoHo making a right hand turn here in Mesa, AZ. Very sad as the owners of the brand new coach were in a car following their coach that was being delivered to their house by an employee of the dealer.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Ken,

The statute that I quoted above is clear that the GCWR is the manufacturer's rated GCWR. The sum of the GVWR of the truck and the laden weight (not the GVWR) of the towed unit only comes into play if there is no manufacturer's GCWR for the truck.

This just illustrates that even the people charged with enforcing the law aren't always clear on what the law says. That's why I carry a copy of these TTC statutes in my truck.

Rusty
Old 05-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PA class A/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Good job. I've tried to explain this to quite a few people in PA, lots of bad advice and info out there. I've seen reference to dealers telling folks they don't need a class B for their new 28,000# MH. It seems like most of the confusion is over CDL and non commercial classes A&B.
I went to a PA drivers licence center yesterday, told them I was here to get a non-CDL class B permit for driving a motorhome - and they looked at me like I had 3 eyes. The clerk called over his supervisor who said "you're here to get what?" - then she had to call Harrisburg to get clarification. She then said that yes - there is a non-CDL (class A or B depending on weight of toad vehicle) requirement in PA but apparently not very many people get them. She then said I would be fine without one - but if I still wanted to - they would process the paperwork they would.The cost was $5, I got an eye test and walked out with my Class B permit and a CDL study guide but no further instructions. Apparently there are only a few places in PA that can administer the actual CDL exam and driving portion - and I'll need to call an 800 number or look online to find one of those centers. oh, they also said if my vehicle has air brakes - there is a separate exam required for that.

I'm going to check into the site locations for the actual exam (I assume I'll need to drive my rig there for the test?) but am actually wondering now if it's worth the hassle.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #11

It is amazing (ok, probably expected, unfortunately) how complicated states make / write their licensing requirements. "Clearly and easily defined" they are not......

If you look at the FMCA lists of special RV licenses, it shows (last time I looked) that GA does not require any special liscene for an RV.

If you read the first section of the GA DMV guide, it appears that way as well (which is what I assume the FMCA used). However, if you dive deeper into the DMV guide, there is indeed a requirement for a special license based on weights - and it's about as clear as mud. But, if you only read the first section, you think all RVs are find with a regular , and most people (including me) would never read any further.

A friend that has a 40' Allegro bus dug all this up, and he got his special license, and as others have found, the DMV people were basically clueless. Interesting that the site link above is one that he had referred to, and it shows that they updated thier review in Nov. which is about the time he dug into all this.

I read the GA DMV law over and over, and don't believe that I need one (24k GVWR / 30k GCWR and towing my Cherokee (4600#s actual as towed). The link above shows that is the case as well with only over 26k GVWR requiring the special license.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I went through the same process in March. There is no requirement for an eye exam for the permit or when you test. The "secret word" is to ask for a "fireman's license". That they are used to. It is just a normal Non-Commercial Class B license. Getting the permit was the hard part. The test was easy once you are familiar with the air break testing procedure.

The other "hard" part is finding someone with a Class B or higher license to accompany you when you go for the test. I live near Harrisburg and have made the offer both here and on the TiffenRVNetwork site that I will accompany anyone needing someone to go with them. Of course that offer only extends to the few testing sites near my home.

There is a pilot program being run by the state for third party testing facilities. There are currently only ten of them now and they do charge for the test (usually about $100). They are usually driving schools that offer driver training for motor homes.

PM me if you need my help. You can also search for other PA specific threads here.
W3DKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #13

This makes me glad I live in Louisiana where anyone with a standard drivers license can still drive any size motorhome.

Ike

p.s. on the point of insanity of license classes, I saw a link to a California state web page explaining the change up in their licenses, and what was covered under each class of licenses and noted that up until about 10-15 years ago they had a special license for steam roller operators.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #14

In Ohio I get to drive with just my normal class D license I only have to upgrade to a CDL if I intend on using my Class A MH to make money.