Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #15

Hmmmm....

Brit in the USA used to driving on the wrong side as a first time HM owner in the states. Sounds interesting to me. What could possibly go wrong.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRVers View Post
Hmmmm....

Brit in the USA used to driving on the wrong side as a first time HM owner in the states. Sounds interesting to me. What could possibly go wrong.

Not as much as you think, I have been driving on the "wrong side" of the road for the last 17 years living in Dubai
jasondxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondxb View Post
Afternoon all

I am sure this has probably been asked a thousand times but I cannot find anything that answers my questions

I'm a non US citizen looking to buy a MH and travel around your great country as and when visa's allow

I am trying to figure out what restrictions there are on a 40ft MH with regards to driving licenses. I have looked on the dept. of motor vehicles site but cannot find anything specific

The question I am trying to answer is :

Can I drive a 40ft MH anywhere in the US on a UK license ?

Any help appreciated

Jason
Short answer is yes. As a 🇬🇧 national you can drive on a 🇬🇧 license however you're going to have a problem licensing any rig you purchase without having a US license.

If your going to be in the US for a long period of time you can get license in some US states, such as South Dakota, without giving up your 🇬🇧 License.

There may be another way to purchas and license a vehicle but I'm not sure how.

How long will the US allow you to stay?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #18

Quote:
I will want to keep it under 40ft so that I can ship back to the UK at the end of the adventure

The 26,000lbs is a bit of a pain, as experience tells me to buy a diesel and a quick look put them over this number

Jason
I'd reconsider that. Converting the coach to run on 230V 50Hz is not going to be cheep. Better to just sell it when you leave.

I know of Newmar dealers that do just that. They work out the deal so you know what they are going to buy it back for or you can do a private sale.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
I'd reconsider that. Converting the coach to run on 230V 50Hz is not going to be cheep. Better to just sell it when you leave.

I know of Newmar dealers that do just that. They work out the deal so you know what they are going to buy it back for or you can do a private sale.
Agree its something else to consider in the grand scheme of things

I have already got an idea of the pricing from a UK dealer, and its not as much as you would think

I have a good idea of the budget to buy, but that open another can of worms. Do you buy brand new or a slightly older better equipped vehicle

I am sure what ever route I go down there will be lots of unforeseen expenses/issues to resolve along the way

Its all part of the fun though
Old 04-30-2017, 06:13 AM   #20

Really like your attitude, sounds like your life is one big adventure. Best of luck...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #21

Don't forget that the RV hookups will be on the wrong side in the UK.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Don't forget that the RV hookups will be on the wrong side in the UK.
Not necessarily the wrong side. Just the other side.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Afternoon all

I am sure this has probably been asked a thousand times but I cannot find anything that answers my questions

I'm a non US citizen looking to buy a MH and travel around your great country as and when visa's allow

I am trying to figure out what restrictions there are on a 40ft MH with regards to driving licenses. I have looked on the dept. of motor vehicles site but cannot find anything specific

The question I am trying to answer is :

Can I drive a 40ft MH anywhere in the US on a UK license ?

Any help appreciated

Jason
I haven't read all the responses but if I remember right, there is no requirements for a special lic to drive a MH, no matter what size.
Thor29.3inAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the sales tax /registration differences, obvious but something I had not thought about

In terms of storage I have put a bit of thought into that, I am trying to keep it to a minimum but will depend of visa/lengh of stay and how long to to renew once expired

Here in Dubai visitors can just jump in a car drive 2 hours to Oman, cross the border and come straight back, if only it was that easy elsewhere
Aaahhhh Dubai...... I wish I could have stayed after my military visit. I would have been able to pay for a MH outright.....
Thor29.3inAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:19 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oregon has no sales tax and relatively low licensing fees for vehicles.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Oregon has no sales tax and relatively low licensing fees for vehicles.
This is true but they have so many rules in place to keep you from being a resident without actually having a physical resident unlike South Dakota and several other states.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:30 AM   #27

Thanks for all the replies, definitely lots of food for thought, and so many decisions to make

Dubai is a great place to live and work, it might be tax free, but don't believe all the stories. We still pay tax they just don't call it that
Old 05-01-2017, 03:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Short answer is yes. As a 🇬🇧 national you can drive on a 🇬🇧 license however you're going to have a problem licensing any rig you purchase without having a US license.

If your going to be in the US for a long period of time you can get license in some US states, such as South Dakota, without giving up your 🇬🇧 License.

There may be another way to purchas and license a vehicle but I'm not sure how.

How long will the US allow you to stay?
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the not being able to register statements. I have relatives coming from Germany every year, buying a car, motorcycle, or what ever they want for the month long vacation. They sell, or I sell for them after they leave for home.

All you need in addition to you country drivers license is an international driver license. You'll need to get insurance for the vehicle and the registration process is straight forward.

A farin national can drive any non-commercial vehicle he or she is allowed to drive in thire home country.

Please disregard the spelling mistakes.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver