Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question RV extended coverage

Hi all
We are about to take the plunge -'07 Fleetwood Expedition 14k miles
I know there has been a wealth of information shared about extended coverage, the pros & cons, the good and the bad. Thanks all for sharing.
I know that things chance over time, so really seeking current information. Some of the threads have aged a bit.
Specifically, I'm looking at the CornerStone Ultimate Coverage. 4yr /48k mi I have asked for a sample contract so I can review line by line.
I also plan to visit our local repair facility and get the Service Manager's opinion/experience with this provider
The policy is cancellable and transferable, so we have some options "down the road" if needed.
We are planing a 6 month trip this spring.
Input much appreciated
Thanks
Tom,Connie & Katie (Wire Haired Dachsund)
TRV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Talking

You have re-opened the RV world's largest can of worms. While things do change, opinions seldom do and you will likely see a lot of "old news".

Best I can offer is that a close friend has that very policy and is very pleased.

Let the games begin...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

Yet to follow is the group who advocate self-insuring through a savings account. One of our members just had to rebuild his diesel engine and pay for it himself.
Total bill was over $30K, I wonder if any self-insurer has enough to cover that after 6 months of saving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #4

If you do an extended warranty search you'll find plenty of reading to keep you occupied for quite some time.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Oh Boy...
Old 12-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update

Spoke with John from Wholesale Warranties today. Very knowledgeable, friendly & helpful. All questions addressed without hesitation. Received quote for Exclusionary contract with Consequental damage rider which was $2k less than price quoted by dealer for "Ultimate coverage" from CornerStone which was not exclusionary and did not have Consequental damage option.
Barely got off the phone and received an email follow up with a hard copy of the quote and a sample contract to review. Very impressive so far. Hope to wake up with a decision in the morning.
TRV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #7

You did the right thing shopping on your own. Now you have an idea of the markup dealers add to an extended service contract. We went with Wholesale Warranties 3yrs. ago for our XtraRide policy and they've been great to deal with. Places we've had work done even mentioned that they were one of the best.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #8

I am not familiar with your RV, if it is a Class A or C, diesel or gas. The best money spent is for a comprehensive chassis and house inspection prior to purchase. It should run about $250-$300 for a Class C. If you still feel the need for a service contract, I'd read the entire contract myself from front to back to see what is covered and what are the exceptions as well as the deductibles. Do not allow the salesperson to tell you what is covered, read it for yourself. If they keep interrupting your reading, take it to a quiet place away from the salesperson and read it in its entirety, especially the fine print. Those who get into trouble with these contracts generally haven't read them and took the salesperson's word for what was covered. Yeah, it's a pain but if you are spending thousands of bucks to cover a vehicle worth many thousands of bucks, it is worth your time to do this. Most of the complaints here and on other forums about these contracts are because the buyer assumed coverage on stuff that was spelled out as not covered in writing in the contract. There are also sleazy service contract providers who will deny any and all claims and just hope you go away and leave them alone after taking your money. It takes research on your part to avoid those guys. There are good service providers that offer a quality product as well but those are generally the more expensive plans.

If yours is a Class C gasser (like mine) I'd get the good chassis/house inspection (as I did) and then not worry about having a problem because the chances are you won't. I have no experience with diesels or Class A's so I leave that determination to those more experienced

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Beware of contracts that exclude any failure of a covered part due to "wear and tear". It's most likely that manufacturing or material "defects" will show up relatively quickly. With an 8 year old RV, you don't want to get into a dispute with your service contract administrator over whether a part failed due to a "defect" or "wear and tear".
Old 12-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

I bought a 7 year extended plan from Wholesale Warranties. Some good experiences and some very bad. My advice would be to go the dealership where you bought the rig and ask the service advisors (more than one) and maybe even the office folks who work with the warranty companies who has the best coverage and who they have worked with that cause them the least amount of hassle. Not sure about others but Wholesale Warranties just sell and administer the policies, they don't back them financially. Some folks there are easy to deal with and some are not. I've experienced them both ways.