Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

RV Extended Warranty

Hi All,

About ready to purchase a used DP and wanted a recommendation on the best company to buy an extended warranty through.

Is Good Sam any good? They sound good on their website...but who doesn't?

Thanks for any help.
Barbara

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best company, financially sound? Go to Weiss Ratings.

Best company for you? Do a Search. If your coach is more than 7 y/o, you could be out of luck. You need an Exclusionary contract, not a Parts Named.

Also, ask the service manager of the dealer you buy from, what extended contract outfits they like to deal with.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #3

Try calling the people at WholesaleWarranties.net. They act as agents for an assortment of policies, and I was very pleased with their recommendation...which sadly I had to use on our last trip. As for asking the service people at your shop; in my neighborhood shops and service managers change so quickly the ink isn't dry on the business card.
Many will respond that a service policy is a waste, and I respect their opinion and their reasoning, but for me, my extended service policies have been worthwhile investments.
Happy Trails.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If service managers change often..........ask the General Manager or Owner.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi AloraDanin,
Purchasing a previously owned coach makes the additional purchase of a service contract (not extended warranty) a good idea. Good Sam has a good reputation. The dealer you are buying from should also have a recommendation (they should only sell what will make their customers happy). The dealer finance manager usually sells these contracts. No matter who you choose, understand what the contract includes/excludes. Also, understand the process to make a claim and get the repair completed. Then purchase from one of these these two suppliers the contract that allows you to sleep at night.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping World has a policy that I bought when I got my used motorhome from them. They don't advertise it much though.

I agree with Gary, I bought mine until I build up some confidence in the coach. I probably won't renew but know I think I know that I have a good strong motor and drivetrain. No way to really know when you first purchase. If you should get a bad motor in the first few months of ownership, the policy could be a lifesaver.
Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

I am sure it's been said but check and double check any extended warranty you buy for exclusions and stipulations that must be met to successfully submit and get your claims paid. Most of these require certain yearly maintenance that must be performed to their specifications or you are not covered.

And remember they are insurance, not warranty like the manufacture warranty.

Make sure the deductibles are worth it. Some have a high deductible like $500 or more that wouldn't make it worth it to even submit claims and many repairs.

I know people who paid a lot of money for these warranties, and never used them once. Not that it is a bad thing nothing broke, however, it was also a big waste of their money too. And in some cases they did have failures in certain things but it was not covered.

I think the biggest thing to consider is getting one that would cover structural damage (most don't) because a leak is a RV owner's worst nightmare. If it won't cover damages due to a leak I wouldn't bother with it. That is the type of repair that really can cost a fortune.

I think with motorhomes they are probably more worth the money vs trailers since engine repairs are also very costly, but due check the exclusions very carefully.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Interstate Star Diamond coverage and am very happy so far. 4 covered repairs without a problem, The repair facility I use say they prefer to work with Good Sam.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

re: extended warranty or service contracts

My advice is DO NOT purchase any of these contracts. I paid almost $4000 for a 6 year contract from Easy-Care and it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. The amount of money i received for claims did not come close to the amount I shelled out for the contract. If the contract is read carefully you will find that there are more parts NOT covered than actually covered. In addition, if a non-covered part causes a covered part to fail you are out of luck. I was denied a claim of $600 because of some rust in the area of the failed part. I have read in other forums where Easy-Care customers were very dissatisfied also. In my opinion that type of contract is a rip-off!!! Thank you.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
When we got our coach I took over the XtraRide policy the PO bought. He had a complete brake rebuild paid for no questions asked, I had a cracked exhaust manifold replaced no questions asked.

Let's face it, the companies are in it to make money, not pay out more than you paid in. However some are fair about paying legitimate claims and some try to get out of paying anything they can. Do your research and see who's happy with their insurers (they are more insurance policies than warranties) and remember to keep up on your documentation on maintenance as required by the company.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have Interstate Star Diamond coverage and am very happy so far. 4 covered repairs without a problem, The repair facility I use say they prefer to work with Good Sam.
I have now had 8 claims, all paid without a problem. In 5 years I have recouped more than twice what I paid for the policy. Some people have success with these policies and some don't.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

These policies are insurance - everybody pays a share and those who have major claims usually come out ahead, while those with few or minor claims don't get their premiums back. That's the nature of insurance. It's not an investment where you get your original sum plus interest - put the money in the bank it that is your goal.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogman View Post
My advice is DO NOT purchase any of these contracts. I paid almost $4000 for a 6 year contract from Easy-Care and it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. The amount of money i received for claims did not come close to the amount I shelled out for the contract. If the contract is read carefully you will find that there are more parts NOT covered than actually covered. In addition, if a non-covered part causes a covered part to fail you are out of luck. I was denied a claim of $600 because of some rust in the area of the failed part. I have read in other forums where Easy-Care customers were very dissatisfied also. In my opinion that type of contract is a rip-off!!! Thank you.
Totally Agree! Save your money.
Good Luck & Happy Rving
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogman View Post
If you do decide on an extended warranty make sure it is an exclusionary policy with a consequential damages rider.

The consequential damages rider is what protects you when a non covered component damages a covered component or when a covered component damages a non covered component.

An inclusionary policy means the part must be listed to be covered, stay away from this kind of policy.

An exclusionary policy means the part must be listed to not be covered, this is a much safer policy in terms of what is or is not covered.

I don't advise one way or another, just wanted to offer a few words of clarification.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote