Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Exterior cleaning products

We have an older Winnebago, wash it after every trip, but over time it has developed what I think is mildew on the exterior white paint. I have tried diluted bleach, Simple Green and some other cleaners, but can't seem to get these black splotches off the surface. What do you use to clean your R V exterior?
johnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Product called Awesome. Available at the Dollar General stores or Walmart. You don't say how old your rig is, maybe the paint is worn off. Bleach would have removed any mildew.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used a product from HD its Called
MOLD ARMOR
E-Z HOUSE WASH
I can't remember what I paid for it but $25.00 comes to mind.
Spray it on W/Garden hose wait 10 minutes wash off. I used a pressure washer. My siding is fiberglass and Did no damage.
I had to use a oxidizer remover and then waxed the whole MH by hand and my buffer.
C below Picture of waxed and before wax.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1349.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	83732  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

I have found 303 Aerospace protectant can be good to restore weathered surfaces.

http://www.amazon.com/303-30313-Aero...ace+protectant
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Product called Awesome. Available at the Dollar General stores or Walmart. You don't say how old your rig is, maybe the paint is worn off. Bleach would have removed any mildew.
Unit is 2000 model, paint is not worn off, maybe I didn't try strong enough bleach, but I will try this Awesome you suggest. Thanks, John
Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #6

Dollar General sells awesome and I think the purple is the better of the 2 kinds.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I finally settled on a product call Jomax. Available at Home Depot and such. Directions say to mix with water and bleach, spray on wait 5 minutes wash off. AWESOME!!!!! Didn't even use a brush on it just to see, and it did a great job, removed all mildew and dirt, left it shining. Even made tires look better and did not fade or run decals. Highly recommended. THanks for all your suggestions.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

I had the mold excetra on the north side of my vinyl covered house. Used to pressure wash it then I found a product in Costco, two 1/2 gallon jugs blue liquid, forget the name. Put it in a small spray tank and spray it on the house and good for a year. I assume it would work on RV
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzuki View Post
We have an older Winnebago, wash it after every trip, but over time it has developed what I think is mildew on the exterior white paint. I have tried diluted bleach, Simple Green and some other cleaners, but can't seem to get these black splotches off the surface. What do you use to clean your R V exterior?
After trying a waste basket full of spray-on stuff, I came across Crown Black Streak remover for RV's a boats at my local Menards store. It does a fantastic job of removing black streaks and stains, another benefit, it's made in the U.S.A, Kentucky.

For ordinary RV washing I mix 2-3 oz bleach + a half-cup of car wash soap into a 5G bucket. That seems to remove most mildew and mold, what remains is removed by the Crown black streak remover.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #10

Blue Beacon.

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pick up a small 6" buffer from Wal-Mart about $45, then a can of Scratch and Swirl rubbing compound (The finer the compound the better). Then use the buffer and try to buff out the black marks. I end up using the 6" buffer to apply wax to my whole unit every spring.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #12

we use McGuires 205 & 105 cleaner/polish ... sound like you mite want to take to time with a polisher and pads .... do a good clean up with 205 and a good polish with 105 ... then a good polymer sealer on top .... you'd be good to go for quite some time ... and lookin good as well .....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #13

Pulled a Scamp out of the woods for a buddy and it was almost all black from mold/mildew. I used Wesleys Bleach White(auto parts stores) and it shined up like new.
mn.roadking is offline   Reply With Quote