Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #1

RV Fire

We owned, emphasizing on owned a 2007 Winnebago Vectra 40TD. I loved that RV. We had the RV already winterized but it was plugged in to a 30 amp service as we were going to have my step daughters wedding and the RV was going to come in handy for an extra room.

Two nights before the backyard wedding, around 10:30 pm my son in law to be who lives behind us came running in to tell us our RV was on fire. Our RV was parked between a yard shed and a car garage housing a 1970 Cuda convertible and a 1956 Chevy ½ ton. Of course I called 911 right away. We were able to get the antique car and truck out but by the time the fire department showed up they could only try to save the building which they did a good job. The RV burned literally to the ground.
The fire chief's report stated it was electrical. It started at the back where the panel was near the washer/dryer. The insurance was reasonable to work with and they treated us well.

We ended up downgrading to a 2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X. Love the layout, the storage compartments but we notice a huge difference in quality. But hey, we upgraded in years and we're happy with the choice we made.

Has anyone else ever had an RV fire? Is there anything we could have done to have prevented it?
ThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
We owned, emphasizing on owned a 2007 Winnebago Vectra 40TD. I loved that RV. We had the RV already winterized but it was plugged in to a 30 amp service as we were going to have my step daughters wedding and the RV was going to come in handy for an extra room.

Two nights before the backyard wedding, around 10:30 pm my son in law to be who lives behind us came running in to tell us our RV was on fire. Our RV was parked between a yard shed and a car garage housing a 1970 Cuda convertible and a 1956 Chevy ½ ton. Of course I called 911 right away. We were able to get the antique car and truck out but by the time the fire department showed up they could only try to save the building which they did a good job. The RV burned literally to the ground.
The fire chief's report stated it was electrical. It started at the back where the panel was near the washer/dryer. The insurance was reasonable to work with and they treated us well.

We ended up downgrading to a 2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X. Love the layout, the storage compartments but we notice a huge difference in quality. But hey, we upgraded in years and we're happy with the choice we made.

Has anyone else ever had an RV fire? Is there anything we could have done to have prevented it?
Wow, glad no one was hurt and you saved your auto's! (Would love to see a picture of your Cuda! My brother had a 70 also)
As far a prevention, most of the time with this, most will smell a burnt smell, and will find the protective coating on the wiring melting and putting off the smell. Once a year, I re-tighten/check all the lugs in the main breaker box and the connections on the transfer switch. Heat comes from loose connections, and if not corrected.......heat turns to fire. Check "All" of your connections, 120v side and even the 12VDC side also.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sorry you lost your rig, but thankful no one was hurt!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Our power converter caught fire a while back. We keep ours hooked up to shore power 24/7. Fortunately, I was standing inside when I smelled wires getting hot and went on alert. Moments later, sparks began shooting about 6' out of the converter. Had I not been inside inventorying the pantry for our next outing, ours would have been toast. As it was, pulling the power and smothering the sparks was all I had to do (plus air out the coach for a few days). Mechanic said it was just the failure of a minor electrical part in the converter (about 8 years old). Since then, I've added a second smoke alarm and change the batteries each year.

I'm glad nobody was hurt in your case and that you saved the important stuff.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Sorry to hear about your rig. Glad to hear no one was hurt.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Electrical fires are caused by resistance that cause heat build up that melts insulation that starts on fire or ignites nearby combustibles on fire. Resistance heat build up occurrs when circuits are overloaded or loose terminal connections. An extension cord pulled partially out of a receptical with a load on it will overheat, melt, short circuit and start a fire.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Electrical fires are caused by resistance that cause heat build up that melts insulation that starts on fire or ignites nearby combustibles on fire. Resistance heat build up occurrs when circuits are overloaded or loose terminal connections. An extension cord pulled partially out of a receptical with a load on it will overheat, melt, short circuit and start a fire.
plus corroded connections
Old 05-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #8

Also poor internal connections and failures. some relays wear out over time and have poor connections and rarely an electronic part: diode, resistor, capacitor, etc... can fail and cause overheating and fire.
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #9

What brand of transfer switch was in that coach? Monaco had a recall a
couple years ago on Iota transfer switches that were getting hot & potentially starting fires.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #10

Most electronic components fail when the smoke comes out.

Capacitors make grafitti.

Most devices are protected by fuses or small traces on the ckt board that blow open.

Poor design or resistive connections that generate heat combined with fuel.

If fire started at rear and if engine also at rear then possible oil had collected somewhere it should not have been and something else running hot got it started.

I would want to find a similar or like model unit someplace and investigate it to see what it looks like in a non burned condition to see what possibilities are for fire just to try to determine how it happened.

Maybe someone else has similar unit that could look and share.

Could have been a device added after factory or stock item...