Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
Keep in mind that I am really trying to like the RM unit. But...It appears that SOFTWARE updates for life are free. From their site:

This program provides map updates as they become available. If you participate in the Lifetime Map Program, you will receive notice that the maps are available, and the maps will be downloadable via the Rand McNally Dock. The first time a map update is available for a device, the registered owner will receive a notice describing the terms and the one-time fee (currently $89.99) for Lifetime Maps. We recommend that you register your device as soon as possible so as to be informed of any updates or new features available

This is some of the most ambiguous language I have seen. Nothing in the specifications for the 7710 says it is automatically part of the lifetime maps update program. Honestly, I am confused.
April Klein purchased from Recreation Nation confirmed here in the forums that those units from Recreation Nation would receive free lifetime updates. Too many 7710 posts, couldn't find the post from April. SO here is a copy of the email form here prior to the post. I received an email from RM a couple weeks ago instruction me to register for my free maps.

Here is a copy of an email from April:
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 12:02:04 -0500
To: Dennis Lee <dlee@acuren.com>
Subject: RE: RVND 7710

Good Morning!
I wanted to let you know that I met with the Rand McNally management at Louisville this week to get a more in depth update on the free lifetime maps for the RVND7710. Apparently, Camping World made a deal to allow them to market free lifetime maps, through the month of December. Ultimately, it doesn't change the fact that Rand hasn't yet made the decision to even charge for lifetime maps on the 7710, but it has created enough of a competitive marketing issue for me that they agreed we could do the same. Not only will we be able to guarantee free lifetime maps for purchases in the month of December, it will be retro-active for any customer who purchased a 7710 from us prior to now.

I wanted to update you for your own personal purchase, and I know you have communicated with others on the forum with respect to the lifetime map issue. We intend to keep the 20% cyberweek coupon active through Sunday. Monday we will move to a 15% off holiday sale, which still beats Camping World by quite a bit.

Thanks again for your business!

Best Regards,

April Klein
Recreation Nation
855-866-8877 office
541-953-4508 cell

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks, I'll have to check out Recreation Nation.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DENNIS...TYVM!

The RM site is not very clear and I think you can see from what I lifted off why I am cornfused.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I decided I want the RVND 7710, I watched a few YouTube videos on it and it seems easy to use and has a lot of useful information.

Thanks for you help.

Susan
Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #33

RV GPS

I have the Rand McNally RVND7710 I love the functions the ease of programming and it's ability to make recommendations based on the individual MH. Much better then the Magellan
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
My choice too. But have to verify life time updates
Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseer33 View Post
My choice too. But have to verify life time updates
That is verified if purchasing through Recreation Nation. If you go that route you can use the coupon code or IRV2 and get another 5% off.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
My RMND 7710 arrived from CW this morning. I have a MAC and it took about 45 min to DL the Dock software and do the update. Took it for a little drive and had a lot of glare issues in my car. Bought the Sun Shield so I hope that helps. Worked my way through the 145 page manual, (not the one in the box) and learned some things. I like the direction of travel always up. I increased screen brightness. Haven't had a chance to program a route yet. The screen is big and I like the virtual dashboard. You can also read altitude, which I couldn't do with my old Magellan.
I guess time will tell.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
45 minutes seems way too long as I remember it.

I too have a Mac but I run Parallels on it so I also have access to Windows 7. I like the the RM Dock better on the Windows platform. Works well on either though. I ran both for a while until I decided which I liked better.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
It took 45 minutes due to no fault of the 7710. I have a slow download speed. It affects everything I download on the internet.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
love co pilot on my laptop...very flexible and easy to use plus I think it was around 200 with gps receiver..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
My kids got me the RVND 7710 for my birthday on Saturday. I routed it to the campground we went to last week and it took us on four Parkways we can't drive on. I called Rand McNally and they said that their systems have a problem with Parkway's in New York & New Jersey, the reason I wanted this in the first place. On the bright side you can go in and avoid these roads permanently and they said it should be fixed in the next map upgrade.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
It says the Magellan can be run can be run off the backup camera. Can the randy too?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseer33 View Post
It says the Magellan can be run can be run off the backup camera. Can the randy too?
I just plug mine in to the cig lighter. Works great