Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
RV hot weather storage

We are full time RV'rs and we will be gone from the RV for 3 weeks in June. We are currently in Texas and will be storing the RV here. The wife says we need to stay in our current site so It doesn't get so hot in the RV while we are gone, I say save a few buck and put it in storage. She says what will happen to all the canned goods and everything else in the heat. I say it will be fine. We plan on emptying the refrig. and freezer before we leave and shuting down all the batteries.
What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your thoughts

08 Itasca Meridian
Nissan Xtera Off Road
moldmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
* Hot * * Hot * * Hot *

We live just east of Atlanta I keep the MH in the back yard in a shaded area, plugged into shore power from my shop 24/7. The 05 Dolphin has basement HVAC and I have the thermostat set at 80F for the AC and it has been comming on more an more fequently as summer temps get here (today;s high was 83F). When we gort the MH last year, the crank handle to the fantastic-fan crumbled in my hand when I tryed to manuallt open the vent. the drivers side latch on the slide window also crumbled when I tried to use it. I figured that the MH was left without power and AC when it was stored by the previous owner (1st owner). If it got hot enough to cook the handles I knew the MH-turned oven wouldn't be doing good things for the rest of the interior fittings.
I cannot imagine what it would do to canned goods !

J.J. Hayden (KN4SH)
Covington, GA
2005 National Dolphin 5342
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
We have stored our motorhome in Central Florida through some awfully hot weather. It is not powered and the house batteries are disconnected in storage. It is under roof (no walls). We leave a roof vent open (Fantastic Fan) and use Damp Rid to attempt some humidity control. We have never had issues with canned goods or liquids stored, although we do not keep a great quantity of carbonated beverages.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Listen to your wife.
2003 Mountain Aire, W/22, 09 Saturn Aura
richvkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Richvkansas, you are probably right should know better after being married 35 years
jzick, we don't keep any carbonated beverages on board. I don't think it will hurt anything in the liquor cabinet. It's only going to be 3 weeks and then we will be living in it again. The humidity is nit as bad here as in FL
jjh3rd' you are probably right excess heat having bad effects on plastic if it is not kept at a reasonable temp, especially if left in heat for great lengths of time
Will have to let the wife read this thread and see what she thinks. Like we don't already know what she thinks. I'd put a winking face on here if I could find where they are. LOL
08 Itasca Meridian
Nissan Xtera Off Road
moldmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #6

Canned goods probably won't be a problem. Light colored plastics will start turning yellow in high heat. If it were me I'd leave it where you can set the A/C t'stat to 82* and call it good.
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I live in Vegas.... it's been 110 INSIDE my Bounder. Canned food was just fine.

1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H
Many Places Full Time
No Dog * No Cat * No Co-Pilot
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote