Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

Smile RV in my yard as AirBnB

Just purchasing a 2008 Keystone Passport UltraLite 195RB to put out front by the creek and use as a vacation rental via AirBnB. Looking for tips to prep site and run elect and water from the house. I have a 30A circuit available that used to power a hot tub (long gone) and running a water line would seem an easy task. Planning on simply putting 6 inches of gravel down on the lawn to create a "site". Would like tips on constructing my own utlility post to mount elect and water on.

Also, do I need to "winterize" between guests if I'm going to be renting it out yearround? Is just keeping the heat on (60degrees?) inside enough to prevent pipes freezing?

Looking forward to participating in the club, thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
4x4 pressure treated post set in concrete will create a utilities pedestal. Gravel is hard to walk on and moves around. Consider maybe DG for the pad. No need to winterize if keeping heat in it.

What about sewer?

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

Do you think your guests will be comfortable and warm enough in that unit in the winter?
These RVs are not insulated as well as a house. Does your have double pane windows? I suppose it depends on how cold it gets where you are are.

Do you have a plan for dumping the grey and black waste tanks?
Does the RV have heating of the water tank? I'm not sure where it located in your RV (is it in heated space?).

My main concern would be whether or not the renters know "how to use" an RV (how the toilet works, watching grey/black tank levels, etc.) I suppose you could print up some instructions.

Good luck
Old 12-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
My main concern would be whether or not the renters know "how to use" an RV (how the toilet works, watching grey/black tank levels, etc.) I suppose you could print up some instructions.
This.
Be prepared to be constantly working clogs out of the holding tank because things went in there that should have.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You'll like it here.

You haven't mentioned your plans for sewage. This can be a big issue. You also didn't say where you are.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
4x4 pressure treated post set in concrete will create a utilities pedestal. Gravel is hard to walk on and moves around. Consider maybe DG for the pad. No need to winterize if keeping heat in it.

What about sewer?
4x4 post it is, thks. Plan on just putting gravel under the trailer as a bed for wheels to sit on. What is "DG". If I keep heat on any need to skirt it to keep wind out from under?

Re sewer, plan on using portable grey and black tanks and rolling the black tank up and dumping it into my septic after each visitor or at least weekly otherwise. Will pretty much limit to renting to individuals or couples.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You might want to check the local regs to see if it's OK to have an RV permanently in place. I know what some areas don't allow that (some don't even allow them to be in the driveway...).
Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #8

Thanks, good tip. Will plan on going over "How to Use the RV" with ea new guest upon arrival and have written instructions in the trailer. When you talk about "working out clogs" is that pretty much a sewer snake operation from the inside? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgkiss View Post
Re sewer, plan on using portable grey and black tanks and rolling the black tank up and dumping it into my septic after each visitor or at least weekly otherwise. Will pretty much limit to renting to individuals or couples.
Seriously consider adding a macerator pump sewer system. Hauling by hand will get old fast. I would also skirt it in.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #10

Went to zoning and permits yesterday and good on both counts. Only restriction is that someone can't live in it more than 6 months. Have no idea how they would monitor that, but if I'm at 50% occupancy as an Airbnb that would prob work just fine. Got permit to hook to water and elect from the house and will have licensed contractors do that. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck with it, but I see many maintenance issues in your future from guests not caring to take care of it and I'm not sure I want to handle THEIR outflow !!!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #12

Hi Shell, will check out Macerators. Understand it grinds the stuff up and then what (pumps it into my existing septic system? Which will be a couple hundred feet up a slight grade). Very interested in your thoughts/recos on skirting. I'm thinking about building moveable flower boxes all around the base the backs of which would be higher than and overlap the trailer. My thought is just to keep most of the wind out from under (and add to the ambiance of my "creekside rental"). I could seal them up a little extra good on the windward sides. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #13

DG probably means Dense Grade, or more specifically DGA or Dense Grade Aggregate. It describes the size of gravel and includes "fines" or rock dust.

Also, be aware that the hot tub was probably 220 volt and your RV pedestal needs to be 30 amp 110 volt.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
tcg

Your zoning department said it was okay to rent out a trailer on your property effectively making it an RV park?

If you were my neighbor I'd be visiting the town offices.

Tags
air