Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know any details, but it did not appear anything was fatal, (except maybe the RV).

Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know any details, but it did not appear anything was fatal, (except maybe the RV).

Old 11-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #3

It would be interesting to know what caused this unfortunate accident, i.e. blowout, steering failure, driver over/under compensation. road obstruction, i.e. animal , etc. Ken......
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
It would also be interesting to know exactly *where* on SR-88 (The Apache Trail) this took place.

Shortly after leaving Tortilla Flats, heading northeast, the road turns to gravel. It is a narrow, winding, and in places, steep road...no place for a motorhome!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #5

Workhorse brakes maybe?????????
Bussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
It dose not matter who's brakes or anything like that, I have driven this road 100s of times very weekend morning motorcycles use it because of it's twisty mountain roads I took our 5th wheel up that way the first weekend we have the roads are narrow 2 lanes with many blind turns. If someone crossed the line with a boat trailer the only way out is over the edge. Luckily there are many shear drop offs and this wasn't one of them.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
So Bussey. What's wrong with Workhorse brakes?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Linda, the RV was headed back towards Phoenix from the direction of Tortilla Flats, the road is paved at that point. It appeared to have gone off at curve the cars are parked on (1st photo). There was a small pull off at that point but nothing that I thought would be big enough for that particular RV.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #9

According to some VERY knowlegable idiot writing to the East Valley Gazette, this was OBVIOUSLY an insurance scam, since the people involved were able to escape.

Maybe so but how in the world do people become so darn skeptical/cynical.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #10

Kablewiz,

A rancher friend of mine was up the hill to some land he leased for grazing. While coming back he was tapped by a car and forced over a cliff. He landed (first bounce) down 50' and went through the windshield, losing his $200 cowboy boots. He also broke most of his ribs and one arm and one leg.

He was unconscious until about 2 in the morning and realizing where was knew he had to get back to the road. (BTW, the truck went another 200' down the canyon).

He used one arm and, laying on his back manageed to pull himself to within about 20' of the road.

Problem was, it was straight up and he could not make it. Fortunately, a young guy stopped to relieve himself and my friend made as much noise as he could without yelling. The kid somehow got him help and he was taken to the hospital.

Very scarey for him. Heck of a nice guy and was ok in about 3 months. Good pool shooter also.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
We have been up there a few times and saw bikes down, the last time they said he was no longer with us, most of those accident happen past the flats from the stream to the gravel, we haver seen where they will get a couple radios along the road and tell everyone when its clear and then they really fly, it is the guys on the crotch rockets, and the sheriffs department doesn't come that far out until after 9AM.

I missed the article in the paper, a real idiot you get lucky and manage to survive and its a scam. I bet they stayed in the camp ground across from the flats, nice park, but a real test of your abilities getting a trailer of any type back there, some day they might widen the road, but I was told they cant, and will never pave the rest do to an agreement.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI...
-----------------------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">East Valley Gazette </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Motor home goes over cliff on Route 88

Gary Grado, Tribune

State troopers are investigating an accident in which a recreational vehicle went off a 200-foot cliff.

Sgt. Harold Sanders, DPS spokesman, said no one was injured in the 11 a.m. incident.

He said the motor home was traveling east on State Route 88 near mile post 202 when the driver lost control and veered off the road.

The crash site is near Fish Creek Hill and is on the road to Apache Lake and Roosevelt Lake.

Sanders said the driver was able to jump out before the vehicle left the road and no one else is believed to have been inside.

There are no lane restrictions, but that may change when a tow truck attempts to pull the 30 to 36 foot vehicle up.
-----------------------------------------------
Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #13

After my motorcycle wreck the Doctor was right when he said: "I can't cure stupid". I wonder if that guy's doctor said the same?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #14

6 new tires and the mh will be good to go again.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote