Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #1

RV Insurance: Bundling With Home/Auto

Going through the annual (and painful) process of renewing insurance for our 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346 diesel pusher. Of course our current provider, Safeco, wants a 40% increase despite no claims ever. Received a less expensive quote from National General, but they want us to add home and our 2 automobiles for the best rates. Moving the RV, 2 autos and home insurance would save us neary $1,400 annually, so it looks like a good move. Anyone have any experience with National General? Anyone ever move home and auto onto the RV policy to take advantage of the bundled discounts? Any advice would be appreciated. MSRP of the Ventana is $317k, instructing insurance companies to value the RV at $160k agreed upon replacement value in the event of total loss. We always pay entire cost of policy upfront, not monthly. Thanks
Angelo/Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #2

My insurance is split because it was best deal. But I wouldn't hesitate to bundle/move if it gave me better premiums with an insurance company I was comfortable with. That latter issue trumps the cost one when push comes to shove. I'll pay more for a better company every time. Personally I like Chubb, CNA and Progressive.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did the bundle thing with The Hartford on my house, car and MH. I like saving money!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thumbs up Ditto the Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Did the bundle thing with The Hartford on my house, car and MH. I like saving money!
I already had all our vehicles and home with Hartford. We then added the MH. Got all the usual coverage and complete 'roadside assistance'. Save's us alot.
Cpl Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I switched all of my policies to AARP Hartford and saved over $1000.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #6

we have State Farm on all our vehicles (3-jeeps and the MH) and have had SF for the last 49-years. and I've been a client since I was 16 in 1966. we also have our homeowner's and umbrella liability with them. we do not full time in the MH. over the last 4-premium years the policy coverages on the current MH (2016 30' Suncruiser) have not changed and neither has the premium. the premium for 2019 is $10 higher than it was in 2015. the premium on our previous MH (2000 35' Suncruiser) dropped steadily each year from an original premium of ~$700 in 2000 to ~$411 in 2014.

Maybe gassers are insured differently than diesels, maybe our coverage limits are way different, maybe it's because we've been SF clients forever, maybe it's because we bundle everything, maybe it's because we don't fulltime, maybe a combination of all of that. we had a couple of claims on the old Suncruiser and one on the new Suncruiser. I see a lot of posts about how company X increased premiums Y% every year or after the first year and wonder why. that sure hasn't been our experience. not bragging, just wondering.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been bundled with AARP/Hartford for 5 years now.

Very low price increases if you don't have any claims. California doesn't have forgiveness programs at all.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I found out several years ago that you're FAR better off going to a local independent insurance agency and having them give you a bundled price on all of your policies, homeowner and ALL vehicles. It has saved us MUCH!

Have the agent look at all the options that you may not need. That's where they saved us a lot of additional money that we had been paying out for years!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #9

Every time I talked with an agent who wanted to bundle, I would ask individual prices which made up the total premium. Every time one vehicle was lower, another was higher; they totaled very close to the same as my present individual policies totaled. Insurance companies like bundling because it makes it more difficult for an individual to compare pricing elsewhere.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #10
IC2

We have AMICA but it isn't bundled as it is handled in eparate policies - home, cars, RV and an umbrella. Ain't cheap but way better then any other I've considered including State Farm who has one of their their main offices ~5 miles from our home.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #11

Hartford here also saved alot
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
What rk911 said above. When we got married, 43 years ago, both of us were with State Farm and still are. Yeah, I have had a few claims, largest was when someone ran a drill into a water line right after the remodel in the S&B was complete. Then there was this tree that moved as soon as I started to relocate the MH.
Both times the claims were handled promptly. When I had the MH repaired the place said that SF was about the easiest one to work with.

I have checked with a broker on different companies and the bottom line is that the change was so small it wasn't worth the hassle.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nat Gen is notorious for raising rates 2nd year. Ours went up 31%. No way...
Old 04-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #14

I once had an insurance claim on my fifth wheel trailer. I looked right and I looked left, but I forgot to look up. It was a relatively small damage, however RV body shops are not charging by the base labor rate. They charge "real time" at $150 per hour which is highway robbery.

Most automobile insurance companies have holes in their policies that don't work for recreational vehicles. Campers have specific needs that State Farm doesn't cover in their policies. And State Farm would be happy if they never saw any RV insurance request.

I have Progressive. The adjuster is specialized, and he only handles RV's. He knows the owners and managers of all RV body shops in the area, and they're all used to dealing with each other. The adjuster didn't bat an eye at paying hourly rates three times what they pay for car/truck body work. And we got excellent service out of him.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance