Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Insurance for Owners planning to rent

Hi all, I did some searching on the forum but didn't find what I am looking for, although a lot of great info here.

I am new to RVing, we just purchased our first RV, a 98 HR Endeavor 37wds, so far we love it.

We purchased with the intent of renting it out when not in use. My issue is finding insurance to cover me/the RV while being rented. MBA insurance was the likely choice but they only insure vehicles 10 years old and newer which was a let down.

I have searched everywhere and find plenty of companies that will insure personal use (I am currently through progressive) but none that allow renters and will provide me coverage if something happens that is our fault and not the fault of the person renting it.

I plan to ensure (no pun intended) all that rent it have insurance through their auto policy or a rider is purchased (again many companies that do that from what I can tell). But that won't cover me if it is something that is not their fault, i.e. engine blows up, starting a fire....and progressive will not allow renters on their insurance...i.e. I/rv is not covered then.

I am exploring commercial insurance but just got started there, I don't really like that option since that will be another separate policy (I am thinking) and will still need insurance for personal use.

If there is anyone out there that is willing to point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance
cc.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

I think that the insurance companies see what the risks are and really don't want to get into that type of situation. Are you sure you really want to do this. A MH is pretty risky to rent out just on the driving of it, let alone what someone could do in damaging all the components. Nobody will take care of it like the owner will.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Check every forum, count how many owners are happy renting their baby out.
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #4

Thanks for checking mike, it is a worthy question but the answer is yes and thanks to vegas for the support. I understand there is some risk involved but that is what insurance is for...and another reason we invested in a nice but yet older pusher. If we feel uncomfortable with a potential renter we just won't rent it.

I had a great experience renting back in June which gave us the idea to make the investment and share the experience with others.

cc
Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

MBA must have changed their practices. In 2013 I was renting out a Class C I no longer used, and had MBA for insurance. That vehicle was 16 years old at the time. It was commercial insurance since renting it out is a business operation. You will probably need both a commercial policy for renting it out and another policy for your personal use.
On second thought, I wonder if you would/could be covered under that same insurance when you use the MH.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #6

as an agent and agency owner, I can assure you that no personal insurance auto/rv policy will cover/allow rental to others. Most don't anticipate ANY type of commercial/business activities in their risk and rates - they don't know anything about the other party, their driving history, etc. Most policies also EXCLUDE specifically any type of commercial or business use, even by the policyholder themselves - such as using it to ferry passengers, or for commercial deliveries, etc.

and, even if you can find a commercial policy, your personal policy would probably cancel your coverage if they find that you have rented your vehicle. Having said that, if your personal policy does not know it, they will certainly DECLINE any coverage for physical damages or liability if a claim occurs that arises during the course of a rental or commercial operation of the vehicle.

a commercial Business Auto policy is your only TRUE option - and yes, they will also more than likely require that you provide POI(ProofOfInsurance) that each driver has their own PAP(PersonalAutoPolicy) in force. while the renter's PAP does NOT cover YOUR rental vehicle, it let's you know that this driver has a driver license, driving history, experience, etc.

my personal opinion is that renting a motorcoach is very, very risky for the owner. RVs have many more items to be concerned with, to have working knowledge of, and the size itself creates more negative situations that can arise for the renter. Renter's also generally do not own an rv, have little experience with them, and have little reason to care if the unit is maintained properly, or even taken care of in general.

but, personal feelings aside, it takes a LOT of work to find the appropriate company to insure a commercial vehicle in this situation, with this type of vehicle, and the types of coverages that it would require - probably an Independent Insurance Agency, who provides coverages by many, many different companies and brokers, would be your best bet. Ask for their Commercial Vehicle department.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

If you are looking for coverage for the engine failing or covered items on the RV that are no direct result of the renter then what you are looking for is a "warranty" or a service agreement. This covers the RV during use. Regarding renting, yes extended service agreements do have a rider for business use. It does cost more.

The issue I see is the age. You ware wanting to cover an engine that is 18 years old. There is one company that I know that might cover it, check with US Warranty Corp out of Mayfield Heights OH.

RV Inspection Connection/RV Warranty Connection
MHexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #8

MH not looking for that insurance, just used that as an example of something that could go wrong and cause something catastrophic hurting someone that rents the RV and it being my fault which would most likely not be covered with the insurance that I will require renters to have and would not be covered by my personal insurance.

In essence I am looking for liability for the business aspect and a company that will allow me to rent it out but also cover me when I am using it personally.

I did find a company that does exactly what I am looking for, triad insurance, I don't have a quote back but will see, from what she said there are only 3 insurance companies in the US that provide this type of insurance.

I appreciate the concerns about renting but I have weighed the risks and talked with those that do rent their RV and the issues are minimal...most that rent a motorhome have some experience and are not newbies driving a large vehicle...if need be I will not let them rent or give them a little driving experience/test to make sure.

cc
Old 09-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #9

Ok so more of a general liability policy that would cover you or your business should a renter get hurt by something in your RV.

RV Inspection Connection/RV Warranty Connection
MHexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance