Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
RV insurance-Local vs FMCA

I currently have my motor home insurance with a local agent writing for Progressive. When I checked with FMCA's insurance program I found their broker also writes for Progressive but was about 12% less than the local agent which amounts to a little over $300 per year.
I know some have mentioned they'd rather deal with a local agent, which I would also, but how much is it really worth?
I thought about calling the agent to see if they would deal any but then wondered if that would be fair to ask them to compete with a national organization. But maybe that would be more fair than just dropping the local agent.
How would the rest of you handle this? Any suggestions.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
We deal locally because we have all of our vehicles, home, business and motorhome through them. We have shopped around and still give us the best deal. Also, when we do have a claim it is handled quickly and fairly. We have AAA on somethings amd Progressive on others. I have found that sometimes a company will bait you with a lowere rate and then increase it in a year or two. Oh, to have the premiums back in our pocket, it is a big expense!

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We worked through Good Sam. They were able to write a policy through Blue Sky which was $300 less than the Blue Sky insurance. The FMCA agent could not write a policy that included Adjacent Structure coverage. Since we are FT and own our lot with a shed and gazebo, we needed this coverage.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
I work through the best insurance at the best price no matter where they are located.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Hi wagonmaster2,
Insurance is a commodity. I take the cheapest price that provides the policy I require. If you have a claim, the local agent will be useless. Agents are sales people. They do not deal with claims. For claims one works with the 800 number on your card.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Maybe that is the way your agent treats you but not mine... If I have a claim I call my agent and they handle contacting the claims office and providing them all the info on my coverage. I recently had some items stolen from a consignment location. One phone call to the agent and they took care of all the other calls. The ONLY contact I had from the claims person was when they called me to see if I wanted a check or direct deposit. If my agent wants my money, which they have been getting the last 27 years, then they need to respond when I call

Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi wagonmaster2,
Insurance is a commodity. I take the cheapest price that provides the policy I require. If you have a claim, the local agent will be useless. Agents are sales people. They do not deal with claims. For claims one works with the 800 number on your card.
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may also want to contact a broker such as RVAmerica Home

They deal specifically with RV insurance. I saved quite a bit of mony through them when I switched from Progressive.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
Just dropped Blue Sky. We have been with them through two different coaches. Never a claim, no roadside calls and no tickets. When I opened the bill, I thought it was a joke. Our rate almost tripled. I got on line and received two quotes for better coverage including $0 glass deductible and lower overall deductibles from both GMAC through Good Sam and Progressive. Both were almost identical to the dollar. Chose Progressive because I don't want to give Marcus Any more of my money. New rate is less than $800. Blue Sky wanted over $2300.
EBRT - 2013 Outlaw 37LS
Castle Rock, CO
tpspuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just switched insurers, moving to Allied via FMCA's agency partner (Farm & City). Saved about $375/year vs our previous insurer, National Interstate.

I agree with GaryKD - insurance is pretty much a commodity once you choose the coverages and deductible you want. I've never had to make more than one call to file a claim anyway, whether the person I call is local or elsewhere. Telephone and internet make it irrelevant how close the agent is, since the people who actually process the claim are always elsewhere anyway, and they send a claims agent to view & assess the damage. My last claim was made while traveling - one phone call and the insurer sent an adjuster to meet us at our next campground. I told them where I wanted to have the repairs done and they handled the rest.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote