Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After using several larger big name companies over the years I went with National General.

Get a Quote, Policy Login, Make a Payment
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Sam National General saved us quite a bit ($400) and they reviewed our coach and we agreed on a stipulated value so we could replace it instead of taking a big loss if Blue book was used to set the value.
State Farm where we have had our insurance for 25 years them raised the cost of our blanket policy the amount we saved on the Moho insurance. Thought about this for two months and I am going to call them to get this reversed or after 25 years it will be good bye.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
Good Sam National General saved us quite a bit ($400) and they reviewed our coach and we agreed on a stipulated value so we could replace it instead of taking a big loss if Blue book was used to set the value.
State Farm where we have had our insurance for 25 years them raised the cost of our blanket policy the amount we saved on the Moho insurance. Thought about this for two months and I am going to call them to get this reversed or after 25 years it will be good bye.
Hi Alan - we have several SD quotes for full time insurance and will be making a decision in the next month or so. One thing I'm looking at is the million $ umbrella over and above the $250 k / $250 k car and motorhome policies. If you have the right driving record etc - it's affordable and looks to be a good idea. I would post but all the quotes I have include VINs and a little too much info on them.

Bottom line - 2008 Bounder DP and 2014 CRV are coming in at $2 k a year +/- 2 to 3 hundred. The umbrella ranges from 2 to 4 hundred for the year.

Drop a line or check in on the other thread now and again!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm sorry, but the above statement has been mixed up with Medical coverage. Uninsured Motorist Coverage pays your repairs if some uninsured low life SOB runs into your RV. (Prior to last year, 30% of all drivers on the road in our state were without insurance of any kind.) Unfortunately, many states have very low minimum liability limits, and many RV values exceed minimum liability coverage. I find Uninsured Motorists a very important coverage.
Specific insurance coverages/meanings vary by state, but I believe you will find that your own collision coverage is what pays you for vehicle damage if the other person has no insurance. In most states, UIM is for medical coverage and other "damages" to your person, which includes lost wages and such. In Florida (my home state), it pays ONLY for medical expense, lost wages and "suffering". Perhaps, in some states, if you don't have collision, maybe it would also pay vehicle property loss, perhaps as an option? Even then, if you have collision and also other medical coverage, you still don't need to pay extra for UIM.

At any rate, ask very specific questions of the agent as to what each coverage provides.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #19

Wink Try National Interstate

I recently switched to National Interstate after an extensive search of their history and reputation. Not only did I find a large base of very happy insured's their rates were hands down the best. They know and specialize in insuring RV's offering coverage that most others do not. Give them a call at 800 929-0870.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #20

National Interstate specializes in RV insurance, and do it well...make sure you have Uninsured Motorist coverage..lots of people that dont' have a policy or an adequate policy. I have so far found them to be the most reasonably priced. And, I know this area somewhat well as I do accident investigations... Good folks to deal with. They understand RV's
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You can't compare insurance rates by looking at what someone in Cal. pays and comparing it to someone in SD or any other comparison. You have to look at the rates in your state from the different carriers.
I found that after getting 6 different quotes, National Interstate gave me the most bang for the buck.
Their service dept. and claims ajdusters have worked well for me. Plus in 5 yrs I have only received a one time $85 increase.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #22

RV Insurance Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWinLV View Post
We are about to take the plunge and purchase our first motorhome in the next few days. We are purchasing a 2006 Newmar Dutchstar 4320 43' Tag quad and will be pulling a 2014 Honda CRV. We plan to begin full timing in June of next year.

Based on the above, what insurance would you recommend? What type of questions should we ask when inquiring into insurance?

Thanks!

There are no simple answers on insurance.
You need to comparison shop the reputable companies. Price depends on your driving record, location class, and each level of coverage.
I am in Rural Route Class 1. It is the lowest location cost in PA. If I lived in Philladelpia the over-all rate would triple.
Each insurer has rates that vary by state, or even by county.
So, no simple answers. You must shop. Brokers may help.
Best of luck!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
I recently switched to National Interstate after an extensive search of their history and reputation. Not only did I find a large base of very happy insured's their rates were hands down the best. They know and specialize in insuring RV's offering coverage that most others do not. Give them a call at 800 929-0870.
X2. I shop every year. You'll find this a forced issue if your looking for really good coverage. There is no loyalty in the insurance game when it comes to RV insurance.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance