Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #43
No broken rifles here..... they all work with a US Army vet behind them... Don't mess with us,,, and we'll be you're best'est neighbor..... You need a hand,,, I'll be there... We watered the neighbors horse a couple years ago in the big ice storm.... Had a little generator running the furnace and a couple lights,,, everybody else was gone from the neighborhood... Just as traveling,,, treat us right,, and Darn Sure we'll treat you right !

Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #44
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by jabfado View Post
If you want justice now days you can forget about it...Police Officers hands are tied through various present day conditions allowed by society..you have to read into this for I don't want to go to far with my statement...best thing to do is get yourself a Doberman pincer, the only dog that I know if that will ly in wait, not make a sound and then pounce on the Perp when the get deep into his turf...Sorry about your loss, a very personal violation of space and hard to deal with.
my rottie liked to hide in the dark and then poof she is there saying HOWDY with a big smile, ruff

its unfortunate that even if they are caught....they will be back as the court will not punish them for stealing a to to a point to deter.
further worse, to stop them would be to dispatch them to their maker
which then brings up other issues.
if you maim them...it could get ugly for you later.
civil suit against their parents, makes for good reading, but the problem wont go away.
chainsaw and dumpster drop offs all over the town might make it harder to find pieces of them later

pit bull with aids would be funny,
maybe a vial of swine flu
inadvertent can of wasp spray that fell off the shelf as they open the door and it hits wrong ans sprays their eyes

i would think laying in wait, with a nasty pants pooping experience might make em think twice.
let em sit in a pants full of dooo dooo while waiting on the police

worse yet, have the whole neighborhood think your freaking crazy.....it does wonders at deterring mischief

USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #45
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Get one from that Amish guy then pick up an old Red Rider at the thrift store. Just Eternabond the Daisy to your Amish fireplace. Done deal and when they see what a sorry set up you have they will probably leave a donation.
That's a great idea only let them steal the Red Rider, because we all know they'll shoot their eye out with it.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #46
+2 on what powerboatr says. The only real solution is elimination. Dead men tell no lies. If anybody sues you, they more than likely were in on it and knew the plot.

Like I said before, I wave at everybody going up/down my street. It doesn't hurt to try to be friends with people you don't even know. They may think you are nuts, but they will remember you and maybe, just maybe, tell their kids and their kids friend's to leave you alone.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #47
There is nothing to be gained by being the neighborhood tough guy. It only temps the punks to challenge you.

Sure, you can win in the courts, but do you really win?
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #48
Couple more security ideas:
At one time, not sure about now, a dog bark alarm was sold. Hook up a PIR, 8 inch speaker/horn and a battery. Sounded very much like the real thing with no food/water needed.
Another device that I have used is a voice module that allows you to record your own message such as "you are entering a secure area, leave now".
Hook up is the same as the dog bark module.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #49
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by southland View Post
Couple more security ideas:
At one time, not sure about now, a dog bark alarm was sold. Hook up a PIR, 8 inch speaker/horn and a battery. Sounded very much like the real thing with no food/water needed.
Another device that I have used is a voice module that allows you to record your own message such as "you are entering a secure area, leave now".
Hook up is the same as the dog bark module.
Add to that a length of logging chain with a broken link on the end and a couple of LARGE plastic turds .
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #50
If someone wants something and are willing to take the risk, their probably going to get it. Just went through the 'experience' of the mailman leaving a package at my front door and 25 minutes later some guy drives by three times. On the fourth pass he then parks at my driveway facing oncoming traffic for more than 3 minutes, opening and closing his door a few times. Waits for a quite moment with no traffic and no pedestrians, and walks right up a 35' driveway, around one of our cars, (meaning it didn't faze him that someone might be home, and we were) and up to the front door, all the while taking a cell call.

Best part is while he's walking back down to his car, the mailman drives by. When I talked to the mailman, he describes the guy, talking on the cell phone and all, but didn't have any idea of what kind of car he was driving.

So close, and yet so far in catching the turkey. The USPS says that because the mailman did in fact make the 'delivery', they aren't responsible for the loss, even though I pointed out the the carrier left the package in plain sight and didn't ring the door bell or knock. Frustrating, since I was home.

And for those that think a camera/surveillance system is the answer, that isn't necessarily true, unless you can get the license plate of the vehicle or the person is known to you or the police. I live across the street from a large park and have a total of seven cameras on the front and sides of my house that faces the street, along with the walkway and front door. Having almost 4 minutes of video from multiple camera angles didn't make one bit of difference and the guy was so engrossed in his phone call, he was oblivious to all the cameras, or just didn't care.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #51
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
A parrot and a dog. Name the dog "Jesus."

"Jesus is watching you!" (Warning from parrot.)

Oh I love that story.

Burgler: And anyway, What kind of idiot names his parrot Jesus.

Parrot: Oh, I'm not Jesus, I'm Moses

Burgler: OK then, what kind of Idiot names his Parrot Moses:

Parrot: The same kind that names his Rottweiler Jesus and Jesus is watching you.

My parish priest used to have a statue of a Dog, like a Shepard/lab by coloration, Full attack pose. Imagine that with a digital recorded growl and motion sensor eyes. The B&E punk runs out tripping over his own feet and gets banged up.

Your honor his dog attacked me

You: But I have concrete proof the dog did not attack,

Judge Produce the proof

(Assistant wheels in the statue on a hand cart"

THUNK, THUNK, as I said your honor CONCRETE PROOF! The "dog" is made of concrete.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #52

I think blaming kids and the juducial system is too simple.

It may turn out that some kid did it but it's more likely it is a tweaker looking for quick sale items to fuel his drug habit. These meth freaks have no guile or compunction about who they ripoff - its fueled by the need.

There is no garage, RV, trailer, that is safe if it is left alone. Neighborhood does not matter. These guys cruise around looking for easy pickings. If they are really desperate they wil risk a home break in but usually its garages, sheds, and unattended vehicles.

The drug problem we have here in the US affects everyone. Vigilance and some alert dogs will help keep 'em at bay, weapons are not really a deterrent as these thieves seldom go where people are.

It's very aggravating to find your property violated and hard earned items taken or trashed. I wish there was a real solution because even if these guys are caught they have no fear of jail.
2004 Silverado Duramax Six-Pac Camper
1999 Coachman Leprechaun
2010 ATC Race Car Trailer
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #53
Thor Owners Club
I have a vacant rent house.. All the copper and AC gone.. It has been broken into 5 times in 3 months... the legal system can not help... police can not help... Bad people have always done bad things...If we, you and I, through any means could stop them, we would have... IMO... This is why I have insurance ... No need to get angry or even... Just rebuild and move on... Peace and A Safe New Year to You and Yours... D
Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #54
Well, after checking out the different ways to deter future thievery, I purchased one of these. 4 Channel Surveillance DVR with 4 Cameras and Mobile Monitoring Capabilities

Since the 5er is in the yard, I have been able to mount the cameras on a 2x4 sitting on a bedroom window sill that faces the RV. I am surprised at how sharp the pictures are! Especially when they are viewing through a window with tinting film. The film conceals the cameras well.

I was able to pick it up for $225 after using a 1/1/12 only coupon for 25% off and printing up the website sale price of $300. Regular price is $350.

I still may get a pricier system for the house in the future. I may install this in the 5er permanently if that happens. Right now, I am glad that I have some security for the RV.
2012 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 DRW
2016 Attitude 28SAG DS
ntrsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #55
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
The cop wasn't going to do anything until I mentioned it wasn't the first time they had tried to damage property and I had brought the situation to the attention of my lawyer. Then all of a sudden it became important for him to go back and advise them not to trespass.
What I've been told is that the magic words are: "Officer, I want to press charges."

They may try and talk me out of it but I'd calmly repeat "Officer, I want to press charges."

Of course that's only the first step . . . about 5 years ago, a friend's car (registered to their name, driven by their teen age child) was vandalized by another teen who felt no one should date his ex-girlfriend. A neighbor had seen it happen (the vandalism) and called police, the offender was caught nearby quickly and prosecuted. Part of the "punishment" was restitution to the tune of about $1100.

Sounds good, huh?? . . . Less than $200 was ever paid.

The probation officer in charge can't understand why my friend was making such a big deal over so "little" money??? Sadly, they stopped calling about 2 years ago and NOTHING more has ever happened.

Let's just say that if this was my money, the probation officer wouldn't be getting off so easy!
1991 32' Winnebago Itasca
bought used in 2009 - our first
Ken-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #56
Newmar Owners Club
Alarms and video cameras are possibly the best deterrent. Don't just have the alarm sound off in the house, have it placed where the whole neighborhood can hear it. We had problems with several around our place till the cameras and the signs informing everyone they were there were installed. I test my alarm system sometimes several times a week at all hour of the day and night just so the undesirables know it works. Also very bright motion detect security lights help.

chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote