Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #57

~20 years ago, I used my ultrasonic intrusion alarm, with a "Horn" in the attic, pointed outward whenever I was away for the day. When I went fishing one day with my brother, I inadvertently left my computer chair near the alarm. Whenever the evap cooler came on, it made a vibration that set off the alarm. When I got home hours later, the neighbors were pissed. Apparently the alarm went on/off all day. Nobody wanted to turn off any breakers as it could have shut off my refrigerator.

Until a break in last year, it sat idle. Now, whenever I go away for the weekend, it is activated, but at the lowest sensitivity setting and my next door neighbor knows that the breaker is "marked", if it ever false alarms again. The "marked" breaker will not shut off the refrigerator. I really should show her what "marked" is as she is not too bright. This not a slam towards women. This woman needs to be hit on the head to understand anything.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think you can beat the effectiveness of a wireless alarm that will contact your security company who then calls the local police.

Ours went off tonight while we were out for dinner. I was about 7 minutes away when the alarm company called to verify we were ok. I left the wife at dinner and headed home. By the time I got home, 3 police cars were in my driveway with all 3 policemen searching the perimeter of the property and house. Fortunately it was only the wind rattling a screen door that set off the glass break alarm. Had it been an intruder I think they would have been caught given the response time of our local LEOs.

I am calling our alarm company tomorrow to see what they can do to extend the alarm to the coach. Once the garage is completed the coach will be housed behind the house alarm system but until then I'd like the extra piece of mind.

I am hopeful it can be done through establishing a new zone. Our house is zone 1, the guest house is zone 2. They are able to be armed independently of each other, don't see why the coach can't be zone 3.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #59

How many burglar alarms do the trick? A lot of them sound off and it alerts the burglar that you have an alarm. He strips the place of items and flees.
LEO gets there for the report session only. No thief seen.
Alarm also work with neighbors. They heard it go off, and will tell the LEO that they did hear it go off. No they didn't attempt to alert anyone about the alarm or see anyone do it. Get involved---are you kidding? Yep, it worked for me that way. Is there a better way?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman View Post
Our Fuzion was entered and stereo and amp stolen. Some damage where the stereo was mounted. The 3 TVs were moved but no damage. Could have been a lot worse. 5er was not locked but was BEHIND A LOCKED GATE, FENCED IN MY BACKYARD! Willing to bet it was a neighborhood punk. Bummed about it and also bummed that I need to upgrade my security. You are vulnerable anywhere.
Have you consider locking the 5er until you find another soultion? I do understand it was behind a locked gate and that someone came into your yard to cause trouble but why make it a step easier to steal from you?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I know a few owners who don't lock their RVs. Would rather replace the tv than the damage to doors and windows where the thief entered
Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #62

earnest917 mine is close to yours. male german shepherd (police dog reject) 170# great perimese, 100# white german shepherd except she likes to stay in the house.now i have a ski boat, bass cat, class a, bumper pull 30 ft artic fox,dolly. then i forgot a electric fence #8000 volt.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I know a few owners who don't lock their RVs. Would rather replace the tv than the damage to doors and windows where the thief entered
What would the insurance company say about that?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
There was a thread discussing the need for evidence of forced entry in order for the insurance company to pay. this was couple months back can't remember the outcome.

I keep mine locked, if nothing else it helps keep honest people honest.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Quote:
There was a thread discussing the need for evidence of forced entry in order for the insurance company to pay. this was couple months back can't remember the outcome.

I keep mine locked, if nothing else it helps keep honest people honest.
Forced entry, no problem when you can control the damage. Also you better know how to present your claim to the insurance company. Remember they are not your friends and are there to deny your claim on any techicality they can find.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Forced entry, no problem when you can control the damage. Also you better know how to present your claim to the insurance company. Remember they are not your friends and are there to deny your claim on any techicality they can find.
Agreed
Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #67

My Breeze didn't come with a door latch key. All I have and need is the dead bolt key. Would that be a technicality?

If I'm working on my MH, I will lock it if I have to go into the house to make a cup of coffee. Paranoid? Not me.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Agreed
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Takes a few years but a good deterrent is a bunch of old fashioned roses. Those thorns are thin and sharp and they hurt. If I ever move I plan on setting up the house with a perimeter of them. Or even under windows and along the areas where they can jump the fence.
Presently I have cameras on the driveway, and gate and front door and backyard. They really have to come by two of the cameras to get to the back or climb through some really thick bushes.
I know they won't steal my TV , it's a flat screen sony crt that weighs 250 lbs lol

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote