Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #1

RV just not safe anywhere!

Our Fuzion was entered and stereo and amp stolen. Some damage where the stereo was mounted. The 3 TVs were moved but no damage. Could have been a lot worse. 5er was not locked but was BEHIND A LOCKED GATE, FENCED IN MY BACKYARD! Willing to bet it was a neighborhood punk. Bummed about it and also bummed that I need to upgrade my security. You are vulnerable anywhere.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Install night security camera's and then let the neighborhood know that you have just installed 3-D TV's in the RV. That way you can catch the little boogers.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
That way you can catch the little boogers.
Then what? They get a slap on the hands and are back out before the ink is dry on the report, ready to do it all over again, except this time they destroy the cameras first.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Get a Dog. Something to keep in mind, lots of crooks after they hit a premise will wait 6 weeks and hit it again. The reason being is that the insurance has paid for the articles stolen and the homeowner has replaced them. Think about a game camera which records only when movement is detected.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Connect a magneto to the door handle. The bad guy will be the one on the ground quivering. Saves film.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 AM   #6

I think a "Time Release" dog would be fun. Dog waits till punk is well into your yard before going ballistic on said punk. Good material for U-Tube.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure like the magneto, and the timed released dog. Sure is sad to hear, good luck with with your replacements. The game camera is also a good idea. Again sad to hear.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

If I needed to, I could hook up my motion sensitive dash camera. I think it can do low light also.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Due to problems with a neighbor I had to install cameras along with calling the cops several times. Caught one lighting a firecracker behind the MH on my property. I went around with the hose in the dark and nailed the kid. I had been keeping an eye outside as they had been lighting m100's off for an hour. Cop told me after talking to them they were playing hide and seek ( high school kids) ....) Cop going on about how kids don't really understand property boundries : there is a street between us lol The cop wasn't going to do anything until I mentioned it wasn't the first time they had tried to damage property and I had brought the situation to the attention of my lawyer. Then all of a sudden it became important for him to go back and advise them not to trespass.

I wish I had found those motion controlled sprinklers (Havahart spray away or the Contech scare crow ) earlier. They use them for cats but I think would work well for annoying people who have no respect for other peoples property.
Unless of course it was hot then they probably wouldn't care.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Reminds Me of Maine Cabin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman View Post
Our Fuzion was entered and stereo and amp stolen. Some damage where the stereo was mounted. The 3 TVs were moved but no damage.
I'll guess your boy will wait for a safe period to pass, perhaps muster the help of friends, and return for the TVs. I'd have cameras quietly installed ASAP, a silent alarm if possible. I mean, it could be as simple as a 12 volt buzzer wired to your house to sound when the door is opened in the 5'er. Tell the police what you've done, have them at the ready. Call when the buzzer goes off, you could position yourself with a flash camera a safe distance from the door, in case they flee. Nobody ever goes to court for taking a picture, they'll be too blind to find you. Chances are, they'll be too blind to escape. I did this, it led to six convictions at once.

Best of luck, be safe.

This scenario unfolded near Bangor, circa 1982; someone suggested the thief would return for the other goods that were inspected on the first break-in but not carried out (I mean, one person can only carry so much loot...).

Owner tacked up corrugated metal over the break-in point, which made a heck of a racket as it was pried loose while he slept inside the cabin, a .410 [bouquet of flowers] at his side.

This awoke him, whereupon he presented the intruder with the [bouquet of flowers] in such a way the intruder literally lost face.

The owner, a lawyer, immediately called 911 and administered 1st aid to the injured [flower] victim. To police, he assured that he was not in any way shape or form protecting property, but in fear of his own life. The burglar went to prison, the lawyer was not indicted.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #11

The sad problem with kids and sometimes adults, is they like to get revenge. It's a never ending battle, unless they get sent to prison, and even then, there is no guarantee it will stop. If you don't actually catch them in the act, there is no way to prove it was them that got back at you. It wouldn't take much, a slashed tire, key'd car or MH.

Even though I don't know most of them, I wave at all people going up/down my street. For know reason, the windshield on my MH got egged right after I got it. Coulda been a kid or jealous mom on her way home from the store. I was out there at 4AM washing egg off of my MH before it did any damage.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Connect a magneto to the door handle. The bad guy will be the one on the ground quivering. Saves film.
I like the magneto idea but maky sure you tell the wife or you might be the one quivering.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
pits or rottweilers should do,maybe just a bull mastiff
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #14

A few years ago our garage was broken into 3 times in one month about 700.00 (total) was stolen. They caught the 17 yr olds that did it took them to court where they (the parents) received a slap on the hand. We could collect nothing because we didnt have receipts for the stolen items. Some of those item were given to me by my dad 50 yrs ago. Other folks were also "hit" by these two and several guns stolen. No body got anything except the city and county they kept the fines and the victims got zilch, nada, what kind of justice for the victims is this ??
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote