Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
We liked our Floor plan because the Dining Table was on the Passenger Side with a window. There are disadvantages to having the Kitchen in the slide, like a shallow slide and plumbing maintenance, but having windows on the curb side is really nice. We have no window above the stovetop but in general the windows we have are just right and we really like having two sofas.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Plan.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	3080  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLori View Post
We had concerns about the p/s slide when we shopped last year for a coach. We decided the additional space inside is worth the loss outside. Our awning provides sufficient shade but I wish the awning completely covered the space between the 2 p/s slides as it is the perfect spot for our patio table. If the awning was 2-3 feet longer, that space would be completely covered.

so, here's another question: (maybe it deserves another thread but I'll ask here first)

What's the max length for an awning?
A&E 9000 manual awnings used to be 25' mine is 22'.
I am not sure what the lengths are today of the various brands of electric and manual awnings. This would be a good project for someone that has the time to do the research. Do I hear any volunteers?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #17

On the subject of rv design, why do manufacturers think we like to sit sideways on the sofa to watch tv? Rexhall, and maybe 1 or 2 others, made models with the tv opposite the sofa, and Bounder used to have a model with the sofa set facing the front.

With the advent of flat panel tvs I would think the makers would find better places for the tv than up over the dash. In some models you almost can't see it from the sofa.

Have any of you found a solution to this problem? Or do you even see it as a problem? I have thought about removing the rocker/recliner across from the sofa and putting a flat panel there. Maybe next year.

Jerry
jrshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #18

Me Too jrshall ---

I get a stiff neck trying to watch my over the dash TV ! -- It's really a dumb location -- I had the same idea, junk the chair opposite the sofa and install a flat screen in a nice cabinet -- and maybe also junk the sofa and replace it with 2 nice recliners. -- I wonder how much $$ to do it --- Maybe next year --
Old 02-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
On the subject of rv design, why do manufacturers think we like to sit sideways on the sofa to watch tv?
I see this on 5er's too. I see that where the recliners are sometimes designed to go, you are looking at the TV viewing at a ackward angle or your viewing a 32" flat screen from 6 feet away. These designers need to design a happy medium.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshall View Post
On the subject of rv design, why do manufacturers think we like to sit sideways on the sofa to watch tv?
'Cuz they're designed by people who don't spend time in RV's. I'm sure when asked about it, they say "well, it looked good on paper.".

I'll agree, for sittin' & watchin', you get a stiff neck craning sideways & upward to watch the TV above the dash in our coach. But for layin down, it kinda works. Though, I'd much prefer to replace the couch with 2 nice La-Z-Boy dual rocker recliners because those would be much more comfortable than the narrow, stiff couch cushions our couch has.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #21

Yep, dual recliners would work nicely. I may just do that this summer.

Then, maybe pull out the drivers seat and replace with a massage recliner. Oh, wait, maybe I should keep awake while driving.
jrshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Here's something to think about, more windows equal more heating and cooling. Glass is a very poor insulator. On my first coach we had a window at the head of the bed and when it was cold outside you could feel the cold coming thru the window......
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
When we ordered our new 5th wheel, we choose to have theater seating across from the TVwhich is located toward the back on the driver's side and we put the couch in the back. The TV does pull out and swivel so you can turn it toward the couch if you want. We have almost no windows on the driver's side and lots on the passenger side. The kitchen is on the driver's side where you tend not to have windows due to stoves, refridgerators, cabinets, pantries, etc.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #24

We curl up on the couch and watch a movie almost every night, me at the rear arm of the couch but facing forward in the coach, and EngineerAnnie in my lap, both facing forward toward the TV. Of course some marriages won't survive such close proximity. But then if Barack and Michele did this, maybe he'd have something to think about besides health care?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Now, something else to ponder; a slide out that encroaches the patio!
Our 2005 Bounder 34F has a passenger-side slide, in which the kitchen and pantry slide out -- but only 16 inches. It does intrude on the patio to a degree, most noticeable in very narrow RV park spaces.

The bigger issue for us, is that this slide is under the awning. The awning deploys at one angle only, and we can't angle it down any more because the slide is in the way.

On the plus side, we have a 30-inch slideout (dinette & sofa) opposite the kitchen. Having the two slides deployed makes for a very spacious area with about 6 feet 2 inches between the kitchen cabinets and the dinette.
jobriant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A coach w/curb dinette in a windowed slide just appeared in our Classified section. That would make for some nice viewing when having your morning coffee!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
When we were looking for our new 5er, we specifically were looking for a side hallway model. We were both tired of going to the bathroom in a closet. We love the bath in our new Cameo. Plenty of room and no toilet in the closet.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #28

I wonder if the RV designers ever solicit feedback on their creations or if they are just trying to outdo each other? We have many of the same criticisms expressed before, and very few of the new layouts appeal to us. I really hate useless and wasteful features like two large TVs in the same area. Small inset hot plates (some electric only) don't accommodate larger griddles or pots. Rounded cabinet ends look great but are expensive and waste space. Who really needs the colored light shows on the ceiling after the novelty wears off? Single round kitchen sink bowls are only useful for getting a glass of water. Otherwise, I guess they expect you never wash your own dishes. We looked at new Winnebagos and Itascas on a bright sunny day and thought many were very dark inside. Lack of windows and dark colors didn't help. Maybe some like this look. We felt depressed. About the side aisle past the bathroom. One we saw had three huge windows on that hall. It was very hot in that area, and those were the only really good windows in the whole coach. As we tend to not be wearing our day clothes when we go to the bathroom some of the time so those blinds would be closed a lot. And the bedroom had two tiny windows on the sides of the slide out and was so dark.
I could go on and on, and I have, but I guess we are not "getting it" with the avant design trends.