RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #15

It is true that some can't accommodate longer RVs. Sometimes due to trees and tight turns and sometimes the pads aren't made long enough. You can usually find out, with a call or Internet search, which ones don't. You'll find plenty that can take the longest so don't let length stop you from getting it. 😋

davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I have a 45' and although it's a bit of a challenge and requires a thorough vetting, it can be done.
I'm with Scotty, will add another thing: just in the last few years, we are having fewer problems finding long pull-thru sites virtually anyway.

Case in point: we just did a 3,900 mile trip spread over 23 days and not once had to unhook our 20' car hauler from our 45' DP. With trailers becoming more common, resorts and campsites seem to be adjusting themselves accordingly.

Buy the rig that is best-suited for you.

RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The two lengths you're looking at in a DP will be fine for the majority of the parks. I would not go any shorter than the 34'. DP's shorter than 34' will be problematic. The reason being, the engine is behind the rear end, which forces the rear wheels forward, making for a wheelbase shorter than some 30' to 32' Class A gas coaches. The weight of the engine, hanging off the back and a generator up front, can cause them to porpoise. We had a 36' and it handled pretty well. My sister had a 34' Itasca Meridian and it handled reasonably well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #18

There is always a compromise. We understood that we were giving up one of our favorite campgrounds for a walk around bed.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
Get what you like and want. You will find plenty of places to camp.
I agree with this!
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #20

most SP and NP sites 'underestimate' the real USABLE length/depth of their sites, I think you'll find most any park or campground can fit larger coach lengths than they 'advertise'...

most use the length needed for both a coach/trailer AND a tow vehicle/toad lengths, or your overall 'rig' length
but what you'll find is that most don't include the 'overhang' of your coach behind the rear wheels, which can add another 5-10' or more to the sites usable depth, especially if there are no trees or posts behind the site...
so if the advertised site 'length' is 30', you may find in most cases that the usable depth is 35' to 45' or more... and if you park your toad perpendicular in front of your coach, or even to the side of your coach, you'll have plenty of space...

you'll also see MANY more site options/availabilities for your ONLINE reservations and searches if you use a number that is 5 to 10' less length than your coach is, and I've never once had someone go out and measure my coach length when I arrived... they are not trying to limit anyone, but they are using max lengths so that you have an idea of the size of the sites...
google maps overhead view can render you a lot of information about the sites... a picture is worth more than words...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
most SP and NP sites 'underestimate' the real USABLE length/depth of their sites, I think you'll find most any park or campground can fit larger coach lengths than they 'advertise'...
This is true. We volunteered in Rocky Mtn. NP and assigned incoming reservations to specific sites in the early mornings. We found that using their chart there were very few sites for big rigs. We offered to examine each site in the campground and make a up-to-date chart. The rangers were amazed at how many more big rig sites we found. I have no idea how the original chart was made but it certainly wasn't accurate.

Also, the reservation sites have no clue what the campgrounds look like as their office isn't even in the same state! Don't rely on calling the reservation site for site information. They will just be reading from a script.

Also, the one answering the phone at the park office probably doesn't know the correct answer either.

That's why we never made reservations. We like to drive to the park and see the sites available to us. Some campgrounds in the major parks don't even accept reservations, such as in Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Also, there are reservation no-shows every morning. We stay outside the park nearby and pull in early morning and we've gotten reservation sites without needing the reservations. We've never been without a place to stay for the night.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #22

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This is true. We volunteered in Rocky Mtn. NP and assigned incoming reservations to specific sites in the early mornings. We found that using their chart there were very few sites for big rigs. We offered to examine each site in the campground and make a up-to-date chart. The rangers were amazed at how many more big rig sites we found. I have no idea how the original chart was made but it certainly wasn't accurate.

Also, the reservation sites have no clue what the campgrounds look like as their office isn't even in the same state! Don't rely on calling the reservation site for site information. They will just be reading from a script.

Also, the one answering the phone at the park office probably doesn't know the correct answer either.

That's why we never made reservations. We like to drive to the park and see the sites available to us. Some campgrounds in the major parks don't even accept reservations, such as in Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Also, there are reservation no-shows every morning. We stay outside the park nearby and pull in early morning and we've gotten reservation sites without needing the reservations. We've never been without a place to stay for the night.

I couldn't have said it better... and it's great to hear this coming from those on the 'front lines' of how these systems work... very good info!
this has been our experiences as well, I don't tend to let brochures and websites guide our journey, but personal inspection and good judgement...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDutchman View Post
I am deciding what size of RV to purchase. I have heard that some National Parks and State Parks will not allow RVs over a certain length. Can someone please inform me if this is true and if so what is the maximum length allowed?
YES! the smallest requirement I had seen was 15 foot which I dont think such RVs even exists.

Anyway, I havent even traveled much and I think every single State/Nat park I have see here in New Mexico (current location) has a size requirement. I have read online that 26 foot and under is a good target.

Plus, if you can be a 30amp then you can also be a 50amp with a very inexpensive adapter. Other way around dosent work. I think the vast majority of state/nat parks are 30 amp

Also on a different subject I fought with myself before I left on the question of tires of the more 'knobby' type and yes..I am glad I did. Not all camp grounds are created equal and even some regular private RV parks during the winter I am glad I had that extra traction. (on the truck I speak)
seanrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #24

Actual lenth

Hi, I have a 40 foot 2004 travel supreme D40 so4. I need to know if anyone can tell me the actual lenth because I am not at the motorhome and am thinking about buying a 20 foot trailer with a 5 foot tounge. I can only be 65 feet in Calif. Thank you for your help. Jeff

Jsbhit is offline   Reply With Quote