Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #1

We just sold our pickup camper & are now RV-less. We decided to move up to a TT but the first step was to sell the slide-in. It was kind of sad to see the camper that gave us so many good memories go down the road. On the other hand it's exciting to look forward to the TT side of RV'ing.

Now begins the process of finding a new one. I'm planning on buying used so if anyone has any insight to provide I'm all ears!

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #2

We just sold our pickup camper & are now RV-less. We decided to move up to a TT but the first step was to sell the slide-in. It was kind of sad to see the camper that gave us so many good memories go down the road. On the other hand it's exciting to look forward to the TT side of RV'ing.

Now begins the process of finding a new one. I'm planning on buying used so if anyone has any insight to provide I'm all ears!

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #3

I remember a long informative discussion some time back. This subject was very active, with pages of good advice from fellow RV'ers. a search should discover it. I like this website because of all the links. On the left column under basics there is a list of helpful links for new TT owners.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #4

My DW and I bought our first new TT last april after 6 years of popup campig and three years of tenting before that.I spent dozens of hours checking out many different brands'styles'and sizes of campers through the winter.Man there is a lot of them Then late last winter when the dealers started having their indoor shows we started going to them We hit every one within about 100 miles and looked at well over 800 campers And you know what out of all those diffirent campers we looked at we only seen a coupl that we liked. Well the second week in april we each took the friday off of work and were going to the twin cities of Minneapolis and St Paul to spend friday and saturday shopping for a camper.We stopped at Shoewood RV iv Anoka MN as our first stop and as we walked through the lot with the salesman he showed us several used units as that was what we were looking for But while everything was nice it was still used Well then he showed us a couple new units that were less than 500$ more than the used ones and we loved the first one he showed us it was exactly what we were looking for. So do lots of looking and know what you want before you go looking Hopefully you will get a great camper and enjoy bye and good luck Have fun

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I've got to concur with the idea of attending as many RV shows as you possibly can. I know when we bought our first motorhome we walked into a couple and liked everything we saw. Of course each time you upgrade rigs the new features and room are more than what you have they appear perfect. What's hard to determine is which of the new ones is better. No better way to do that than walk into a lot of them.

Good luck with the purchase and enjoy the search for the ideal rig.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #6

The process for us has changed a bit. In 84 when we bought our fiest TT we had to get a TV to pull it. The got out of it for a while as theboys ent to College and had a change of jobs etc. Then in 2000 went to a Pop-up as determined the Durango wouldn't handle much. We now have a 5er and PSD. Every time we learned a little more. We are now considering a MH as we are both retired and we feel it would allow for a more comfortable way to travel. So we will have to go through another learning curve. There are so many units out there and the size of some are intimidating. But then again so was going from a pop-up to a 5er.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I too have been through several combinations of TT and TV. I started with a used 1967 15'Kit and graduated to a 20' Komfort 20LB - that bunkhouse model towed well behind my then new S10 PU. When the S-10 needed replacement an Astro Van was the family choice- it towed the Komfort even better. When the kids grew up the bunks were less important so we moved to a Trail Lite 21' with a small corner bed and huge U dinette. This unit was bigger and heavier than the Komfort and the Astro (with over 100K miles) was getting long in the tooth. So in 1999 I bought a Tahoe - it toted the TL like it was not there. The TL had many problems and I was not happy with its small bed. In 2005 I bought my current TT a 24' Arctic Fox. It is at the upper end of the Tahoe's tow limits - so a new TV is in order next summer. A friend of mine (who has also be RV less for several years now) just bought a 21'Komfort that he tows with a Durango. I also looked at that unit but the DW vetoed the floorplan because the only place to watch TV from was the bed - in fact there are only two places to sit - the dinette and the bed. My AF has a sofa - which the DW loves. My friend commented that this TT was a big step up from the Pick-up camper he had before.

I would also suggest that you assess your camping needs - how many to sleep - eat - drink etc. Attending RV shows are a good way to see lots of models in one place. Take a digtal camera to record the units you take a liking to - that way you can easily go back.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #8

You have a great tow vehicle so the world is wide open. Just depends on how much you will use it, and my opinion is get the largest truck and smallest trailer you can live with. Add to that having a trailer that is slippery with the wind makes the tow much more enjoyable. With that said, a 28 foot airstream or 28 foot hi-lo would be a great start, they both have slide outs for extended comfort. Both are very easy tow in heavy cross winds and your truck will work much less. Good luck

2004 GMC XUV
rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote