Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

RV Logbook Apps

I have not seen an app to my satisfaction that will replace my manual hard copy logbook where we chronical every item and significant event in our handwritten RV log.

Looking for advice and comments from the collective savvy and experiences of Irv2 members on how you record, keep, collate your RV related events and issues.

I really want advanced capabilities, yet simple to use app to replace the logbook so we can input only once from differerent devices and be able to collate and view from anywhere.

For my case right now, everything is written in a hard copy book in chronological order with numbering pages and each event starting with DTG (Date Time Group), subject, descriptive text. Been doing this for years. When the book is full, we start a new book. We never tear out a page or erase anything, but do put a line through a mistake/corrections or make a "Z" across many lines - this goes back to my military days where logkeeping was really controlled for investigative and reference purposes. A dicipline I carried over to my military afterlife and it works for me. (I also log with Z time because we are often crossing time zones and again works for me. Drives my wife nuts but all she has to do is look at the digital clock on the dash and read and record the numbers)

We log almost every event relative to servicing such as:

" 01/30/13- 1330Z : (location) checked gen oil, hr meter 437 added 1/2qt"

and other events such as:

"02/27/13 - 1529Z (location) saw a bear in our campground today - see picture" etc

I geotag pictures and now electronically capture, store and sort at will. But it is the everyday event and everything log that I would like to easily input into electronic medium without having to key in the time or the place and record everything and then share/sync that info so I could input and access from any of our devices. In my case, android devices but also able to export data for printing or viewing on a PC.

For example: I could be entering my log item on my phone from anywhere, while my wife is logging her event such as "bulb over stove out" etc and have the events schronized. Logging must be possible off line but able to synchronize with some central database is required. I tried Android calendars and notes but each had limitations for what I want but when I sync these all the same info gets put on all of our devices.

There are a several Auto Logs apps I have tried but they do not do what I am looking for and I saw one RV log on the Play Store that needs work to say the least.

I am reasonably computer savvy in that I have no problem designing with autocad, using any microsoft application or any other application/program I have used for that matter, and I have carried a laptop in our RV since the mid 80's, I have tried speadsheets, database programs/formats I have created databases using DBase and MS Acces but everything I have tried did not provide the input flexability as the pen and paper or will do what I want.

Searching and collating from hard copy is difficult at best. I have scanned old logs but these are in PDF.

We usually have 3 tablets, 2 phones and two laptops in the PC with us in the RV, but nothing is as simple to input as the pen using the hard copy book that sits right on the dash all the time. We keep all receipts and put a discrete number on the receipt that responds to the log item and we scan store the receipts using the subject and DTG in the file name so we can go back and forth from the log to the receipts with ease.

Just wondered what is out there and how folks keep thier logs and are there any apps that meet my specs as I noted in my "wants" - not "needs".

If there are app developers, and service providers perhaps this might be an interesting project that could be applicable well beyond any RV interest but would apply to any situation where a log/record is kept with multiple input sources from mobile devices.

Maybe what I am looking for exists - now that would be sweet, I thought about having a travel log electronically and a hard copy pure technical log - may still do this if I don't come up with this all singing and dancing integrated version.

Thanks for reading if you got this far before moving on but I would really like input on this subject.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

I know your post is a little old but since there were no responses I thought that I would suggest you look at one that I have been using for years. You may have seen this but.... Rolling Stock by Rolling Stock - Vehicle and Trip Expense Recording and Reporting.

Please let me know if you found any other options.

HappyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
there are several programs out there. we use RVNotebook. You may find someone who will sell you a copy. Orginally 39 bucks. Program is written with MS access. yOU CAN TRACK YOUR rv SITES, REPAIRS, PURCHASES, your toad and maintenance of all. unfortunately the owner wrote the program and when he passed there was no one to keep it going. Nomad Notes is another program written by someone down under. several sites have spread sheet type things available usually in Excel. found on recently that you fill out maintenance and they notify next service is needed. RV ToDo List Would be surprised if you can find anything but a spreadsheet that will work on all you different devices. If you find a New gee wiz program be sure to let me know. safe travels...ed
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #4

I am working on an RV Logbook program that will run on a computer, tablet or smartphone. It is fairly well along in development. I am building it in Filemaker Pro 12. It is a fully relational database program which will log your maintenance events, trips, campgrounds, contacts, etc.

It's not ready for prime time yet, but I think it has a shot to be a very useful, inexpensive and easy to use program.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #5

I'd be real interested your program when it's up and running. We just sold our home, closes the 7th of Nov, and after that we will be shopping for our first diesel pusher. Anything to help me get things done I'm all for.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
I use the Gas Cubby app on my iPhone, and I have hard enough time keeping it up to date....

I am simply not on your plane of perfection.... I used to be far more OCD than I am now.....

I found that I like my life to be less cluttered with those efforts that provide little or no value. To keep records on all type of things only provides busy work.

I don't even keep a check book register anymore, it is all online. I have boxes and folders and folders of receipts and other records that do nothing but collect dust.

I have given in and joined the ranks of those that do as little record keeping as possibly in order to get along with as few extraneous tasks as possible.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

I hear you Ted but being a new guy to all of this I want something that has the bases covered that I don't know as of yet are there. I probably won't use all of it but I just don't know what I don't know. I appreciate that folks that have experience with these rigs are putting that experience to use for others to take advantage. Besides I was an old school flight engineer before I retired and logs were part of the game so I am kind of use to it.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #8

Carolina Campers
Understand
Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

KZ RV Club
All I have really found was a1 rv log book app
Old 05-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I am working on an RV Logbook program that will run on a computer, tablet or smartphone. It is fairly well along in development. I am building it in Filemaker Pro 12. It is a fully relational database program which will log your maintenance events, trips, campgrounds, contacts, etc.

It's not ready for prime time yet, but I think it has a shot to be a very useful, inexpensive and easy to use program.
I am new to motorhomes but a long time FileMaker Pro developer. Have you started distributing your runtime? I would be very interested in getting a copy.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #11

I have not yet started distributing/selling it. It is kind of a back-burner project right now. Other things have taken priority over the last few months.

Check your email for a Private Message.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post

Please be sure to post info here (a PM would be great) when you are ready to do some open testing.

Since it's done in FileMaker, I am assuming you are likely Mac based and I am looking for a Mac solution. Though I don't do development in FileMaker, I do have FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced installed. I have been considering putting a relational system together in Excel or Numbers to track important data and full parts and maintenance records.

I'm looking forward to hearing more.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #13

I am developing it on a PC, but it's cross-platform compatible. The file works just fine on a Mac. It also works fine on an iPad using Filemaker Go. It will also work on an iPhone, but the screen is too small to be truly useful.

Here's a screen grab from the iPad:

The other screens (Trip Log, RV Parks, etc.) are laid out just like this one.

Clicking on the little blue rectangle at the left of each entry brings up a screen with more details about that entry.

Click on the red X at the right and you can delete an entry.

Reports are built into the system to print a maintenance logbook and a trip logbook. I'm working on a few other reports, too.

The fundamentals are there. Now I have to build in a few more user-friendly tweaks to make it a very smooth experience with no "gotchas."
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #14

Rich-n-Linda,
I'm new to RVing (taking delivery in June of our first TT) and your screen shot looks fantastic. Would love to know when it's available. We are headed East for 2 weeks in July for our first extended outing.