Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
RV lot.

So, one of these next few years we're going to retire. And, we're thinking and looking at RV lots for sale. They seem quite inexpensive, relatively speaking. Some you can rent out, others you can't. Some places allow pets, many don't. We have three dogs we might travel with. Most are for folks 55 years and older. My Mom stay's in one of those. I like young people and variety. Thinking of Florida primarily. Farther South the better. Near the Gulf Coast so it's easier to get to the beach with Grandkids? I know some just camp around all winter. Never been to the Far Southwest.

About me, for instance, I really liked ACDC on the Grammy's TV show. Everybody else, meh. I run my dogs alot, play music out, read, stuff like that.

So, ideas and suggestions from you who are experienced.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
RV lots are okay if you don't plan on doing a lot of traveling. We like to move around a lot so it doesn't work for us. Some of the campgrounds have HOA's that are more restrictive than some housing subdivisions. I guess what I wouldn't want is to be tied down to one location and the expenses of ownership.

Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
I would strongly recommend you travel for a year before considering an RV lot. It seems that most resorts have a unique and distinct "flavor". You don't know what you don't know. Have you been to Hilton Head Island, or Titusville Fl, or Bella Terra or resorts in Texas, or southern CA? There are sooo many great places that would fit your life style, and probably many that would not, but you really won't know until you spend some time there.
I can tell you why we settled on Hilton Head but that doesn't mean that you would like it.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just remember the closer to the coast, the more crowded and expensive it is to stay. Central Florida suited us very well. We are in Wilderness RV Resort in the Preserve Estates (Class A) section. There are many deeded lots for sale. The average lot in the preserve is 70 X 110 with a 20 X 60 concrete pad. All amenities are included.

We are 60 miles from either coast. Silver Springs is located just outside Ocala, Florida in the Ocala National Forest. Yes, we are a little further North in Central Florida, but are only about 90 minutes from Disney or Tampa. The average winter temp. is in the 70s with the hot summer days in the 90s and humid. We NEVER get snow and almost never get ice. It drops into the 30s a few nights each year, and into the 20s a couple of nights. Generally it stays in the high 40s and 50s at night.

Give it a look. Don't ley anyone persuade you not to get a lot if that is what you really want. We bought our lot our second year before doing a lot of traveling. We still travel every summer, but always have a home base to return to without having to shop around for a spot.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
We looked around and picked Bella Terra. By far not the least expensive way to go but felt the location and set-up could not be beat. Phase 3, which is the final phase is now available and looking forward to using it as our starting point for our summer excursions. Spend some time in the area and you'll be sold.
Paul , Vicki and Maggie ( American Eskimo )
2010 Itasca Meridian 40L
2013 Lincoln MKX Toad Central FL Based
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
We went, and still are, going thru the same thought process. We do have a spot at the Park of Sierras Co Op. But for now, we're going thru a slower process of traveling and taking notes of locations we like.

As you mentioned, many of these parks have owners of lots that rent them out. Unless you have a desire of having a park model, or say a casita that you can set up as more of a permanent home - the economics of renting sure outweigh the costs of owning. Plus, for a fraction of the cost of owning in 'one location' - you can sample 'many locations' while still staying for several months at a time.

I also know that some owners have had success in appreciation of value, on RV Lots that are deeded. Especially in the early phases of a new location. But that is probably more of an exception then the norm. (All my opinion from reading about what others have done, and talking to some owners of lots.)

The recommendation to go slow and travel for a year is good input.

Then you can make a better informed decision on what you feel is right for you.

Happy travels ahead, and best of luck!
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
I would really recommend that you not buy an RV lot until you have a chance to see some of our wonderful country. Sitting in one place can age you, too. It's best to be active after retirement and your dogs will love it.

Try spending a month or two the first winter by moving from Florida to south Texas to southern Arizona to get a feel of the different areas and parks.

Retirement is awesome!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We too chose Bella Terra RV Resort in Gulf Shores, AL (Foley). Great amenities. Some of the nicest people you ever want to meet. The staff there is incredible. For us, it has everything we were looking for. When we are not using our lot, it is usually rented out. Thankfully we can block out the times we what to use it.
Brian and Julie
Zola (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
2016 Anthem 44L ,2015 Anthem 44L, 2009 Discovery 40X
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
Wow, thanks for the ideas. Yes, we will travel. Might even become "homeless". I know a lot of snowbirds being from Northern Michigan, and they do seem to go through phases.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
The purchase price of a small spot of land is not all your expenses. Every deeded RV lot I'm aware of brings along the annual dues/fees/ upkeep to HOA, insurance, etc. When you aren't there, if the HOA allows you may permit them to rent it for you and recoup some of the costs.
We don't like to be tied to returning to the same spot every winter, gets dull for us. A doctor told me today that at my age leading a dull, repetitive, stay-home lifestyle ages an old person faster than if one is active, adventurous, and seeks out new interests.
Those are some of our reasons for renting somewhere we think interesting and urges us to be active.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:04 AM   #11
We've wintered at different resorts from Socal to AZ., Bella Terra in AL., to different ones in FL. None will be perfect, but many will fill just about anyone's wants. Loved the Chula Vista RV Resort which is just south of San Diego(spaces are a little small),. Mesa, AZ. was just too dusty for us. Couldn't open the windows on beautiful days because everything inside would get covered in dust. Hard to find anything wrong with Bella Terra except it can get colder than I like. We've wintered at Wilderness in Silver Springs, Fl. twice, but each time it was down right cold. I don't want to spend the coldest months somewhere I have to worry about unhooking the water. This winter we're further south in Frostproof, Fl., and it has definately been warmer than Silver Springs. It's a good suggestion to spend sometime traveling to figure out where would be best suited for you. As for us, after 5yrs., we haven't found our landing spot yet. Still too many places to go....and so little time.

2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote