Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RV Lot Purchase

We're in the process of buying a RV Lot in North Georgia. It has a small shed we plan on putting a refrig and washer/dryer in it. I plan to just a water hose for the washer, however wondering how to get hot water. I wonder if a "on demand" water heater is my best option. Anyway hopefully someone has an idea. Txs
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
We're in the process of buying a RV Lot in North Georgia. It has a small shed we plan on putting a refrig and washer/dryer in it. I plan to just a water hose for the washer, however wondering how to get hot water. I wonder if a "on demand" water heater is my best option. Anyway hopefully someone has an idea. Txs
Are there other lots available? We live in GA but I thought of getting a north GA lot. Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
Are there other lots available? We live in GA but I thought of getting a north GA lot. Thanks
Yes ...you can PM me if you need anymore info.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #4

If you have not worked with an on-demand water heater before, the most important thing to understand is that the maximum amount of heating possible is determined by how much power you have available, how much water is flowing, and the temperature of the incoming water. If you have a household 220VAC 40amp circuit, then this is probably not a concern. If you are limited to a campground style 115VAC 30 amp circuit plus a supply of fairly cold water then it is possible that you may be limited to warm water unless you slow the flow to a trickle.

If a standard hot water tank is not hot enough, just wait ten minutes and it'll get hotter. A particular ounce of water is in an on-demand heater for only so many seconds. Once it leaves to make room for the next ounce, it will not get any hotter.

If you already have a water heater in the RV, why not pipe that water to the washer in the shed? Could save some money and effort.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi coffeeman,
If the water heater is just for the washer, for me, the simple and cheap solution is any electric water heater under 20 gallons capacity. Lowe's and Home Depot have them. They are regular 120 VAC and around 20 AMPs of power.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
If you have not worked with an on-demand water heater before, the most important thing to understand is that the maximum amount of heating possible is determined by how much power you have available, how much water is flowing, and the temperature of the incoming water. If you have a household 220VAC 40amp circuit, then this is probably not a concern. If you are limited to a campground style 115VAC 30 amp circuit plus a supply of fairly cold water then it is possible that you may be limited to warm water unless you slow the flow to a trickle.

If a standard hot water tank is not hot enough, just wait ten minutes and it'll get hotter. A particular ounce of water is in an on-demand heater for only so many seconds. Once it leaves to make room for the next ounce, it will not get any hotter.

If you already have a water heater in the RV, why not pipe that water to the washer in the shed? Could save some money and effort.

I'm thinking along those line as well. I could tee off the outside shower just have to see if I can dig on the lot to do so.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
I'm thinking along those line as well. I could tee off the outside shower just have to see if I can dig on the lot to do so.
We just bought an RV lot in Washington, it is on leased indian land.
We are not allowed to have a washer and dryer because we are on a septic system, we have to have it pumped yearly with normal usage, they said if we used the RV washer/dryer we would have to have it pumped monthly for about $275.00 a pump.
Check with whomever you bought from to see if your sewer is septic or plummed to the city sewers.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI - septic systems handle gray water just fine. That particular septic may have other issues, like being way over capacity for the number of people connected to it.

I'm with the guy above - a 20 gal hot water heater would work just fine. Going to instant on means lots of power and/or lots of natural gas. It's also a lot more expensive.

There are some point-of-exit "on demand" systems, but I don't know how well they'd work for an RV.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
We just bought an RV lot in Washington, it is on leased indian land.
We are not allowed to have a washer and dryer because we are on a septic system, we have to have it pumped yearly with normal usage, they said if we used the RV washer/dryer we would have to have it pumped monthly for about $275.00 a pump.
Check with whomever you bought from to see if your sewer is septic or plummed to the city sewers.
I suggest the person who said the tank had to be pumped more often if you used a washer does not know a lot about septic systems. Well sort of. See my comments below. Hope they are helpfull. I am on a septic system and have been for many years.

Most septic tanks have two sides. Tanks are pumped because the solid waste side gets full of solid effluent. Liquid will just spill over to the liquid side and flows into the tile field for dispersement into the gravel around the weeping tiles. Now if the field is not designed to disssipate so much water at a time, or it is failing, then one must restrict the liquid input to prevent backup. If a septic system is designed properly, and is in good working order, it should handle the output from a washer without a problem. But one should not use bleach or phosphates or anything that disrupts the fermentation process. If one puts harmful items into a septic system that prevents/limits fermentation, the solid side might fill up faster.

But there is an option to pumping water from your clothes washer into a septic system? It is good water to put on the grass, gardens etc, if one can do this without flooding an area and if you do not use phosphates, bleach etc. Only use environmentally friendly soap and cleaning materials im any case. One can also install a French Drain for grey water also if the septic system is failing or is inadequate. We never put anything in our RV tanks, or in our septic tanks that will hurt the environment or limit fermentation.

Re having the heater for washing clothes per the OP. My daughter washes her clothes with cold water using the appropriate detergent albeit my wife prefers to use hot water because she thinks it works better. My daughter swears by it as being good with cold water, so I guess it might be a personal preference re hot or cold clothes washing. Have you tried cold water washing with the cold water detergent? This might be an option vs putting a heater in the shed.

Hope my comments help.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The statement I made earlier about having the septic pumped was not from me.
As I mentioned, the land is owned by the Indians and they make the rules (24 pages) They dictate the trees that can be cut and a number of stupid rules I won't go into, but we will not be living on the property full time, we just bought it in order to satisfy the state that we had a perminate address that can be put on our drivers lic.another stupid rule.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Libero, a properly sized septic system can easily handle a washer. I built mine and have never had it pumped in 16 years.

I like the 120V electric water heater option. K.I.S.S.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Love the responses. I'll add as we go. I think it only has a 100 awmp pedestal so hopefully power isn't an issue. Don't know if I can add a service. Also have to have permission to bury cables , etc. It is only a 8x8 shed so have to deal with space. I just like the idea of a W/D, not fond of laundromats. Take care
Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Surely an '05 MH is plumbed for a washer/dryer. Put it IN the MH......
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Surely an '05 MH is plumbed for a washer/dryer. Put it IN the MH......

Wish it was that simple..ours is not.

Tags
purchase