Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of campgrounds that we have visited don't have good access roads, and/or the sites are tight with little room for maneuvering. This is one of the reasons that we switched from a TT to a MH years ago.

Such was the case this weekend at a park called Flying Flags in Buellton, California. While the park is very clean and well maintained, access to some sites is tight at best, especially during a crowded weekend.

20 minutes after settled into our campsite, I was in our restroom, when I heard the DW yell, "He's gonna hit us!" She then began honking our air horns frantically. I then felt a nudge on our MH, and realized that something had hit us.

I went outside, and some folks that had been camped in the site to our left had decided to leave. When they did, the husband cut his 5th wheel across our campsite, and scraped the L/F of our coach. The guy was embarrassed, and I did not make a big issue of it. The wife asked if we wanted them to pay for the damage, to which I replied, "I think that would only be fair." We exchanged insurance information and apologies. I then asked the wife something that caused a distorted look on her face.....I asked her if she ever "spots" her husband while he's maneuvering their large 5th wheel. She said "no." She then started to tell me how many objects the husband has damaged, including a stop sign and a mailbox.

Folks, if you are maneuvering any type of RV in tight areas, PLEASE use a spotter if one is available. My wife always goes outside and spots me while we converse on walkie-talkies. It has saved us countless times!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of campgrounds that we have visited don't have good access roads, and/or the sites are tight with little room for maneuvering. This is one of the reasons that we switched from a TT to a MH years ago.

Such was the case this weekend at a park called Flying Flags in Buellton, California. While the park is very clean and well maintained, access to some sites is tight at best, especially during a crowded weekend.

20 minutes after settled into our campsite, I was in our restroom, when I heard the DW yell, "He's gonna hit us!" She then began honking our air horns frantically. I then felt a nudge on our MH, and realized that something had hit us.

I went outside, and some folks that had been camped in the site to our left had decided to leave. When they did, the husband cut his 5th wheel across our campsite, and scraped the L/F of our coach. The guy was embarrassed, and I did not make a big issue of it. The wife asked if we wanted them to pay for the damage, to which I replied, "I think that would only be fair." We exchanged insurance information and apologies. I then asked the wife something that caused a distorted look on her face.....I asked her if she ever "spots" her husband while he's maneuvering their large 5th wheel. She said "no." She then started to tell me how many objects the husband has damaged, including a stop sign and a mailbox.

Folks, if you are maneuvering any type of RV in tight areas, PLEASE use a spotter if one is available. My wife always goes outside and spots me while we converse on walkie-talkies. It has saved us countless times!

Craig

Old 05-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #3

Thats why I bought a MH instead of a TT, There are fewer blind spots while turning, you can always see where the tailend is. I had several TT's from a pop-up to a regular TT, and like my MH very much. You kinda have to watch out for low branches more as they are somewhat taller, but all in all are easier to manuver. The rear camera also makes it nice when passing slow vehicles. Mine has a scale on the screen so I can tell how far back another vehicle is. And its great to be able to pull in to a rest area and take a nap if traffic is backed up. Once there was a major wreck on I-75 in Kentucky that shut down the interstate for about 4 hours, and I just pulled off and slept a couple of hours, while my sister and her husband pulling a pop up had to find a hotel, which was hard because of the many stranded motorists.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I visited the Flying Flags in Buellton a few months ago and had the same opinion of the place. Nice, but cramped. I also paid for a 50amp hookup and it wasn't working and they didn't seem to care.

It is expensive and should be better for that price. Sorry you had the other misfortune and hope that the others DW will take a more active role in the future.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #5

I stayed at the Flying Flags last week and we parked in the "weeds" they called grass and we barely had enough room to extend the slide. Luckily there was no one next to us. Very tight spots. Our site was too small to leave the car attached to the tow bar without sticking out over the front and rear access roads.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigRedLancer:
I stayed at the Flying Flags last week and we parked in the "weeds" they called grass and we barely had enough room to extend the slide. Luckily there was no one next to us. Very tight spots. Our site was too small to leave the car attached to the tow bar without sticking out over the front and rear access roads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, we had the same problem. We had to park our toad in one of the four (yes, only four) parking spots located behind the lodge. It was our first time staying there. We went with a group of 5 other campers, so it wasn't my choice. I normally don't like to camp next to a freeway, but I'll admit it was nice to be only 5 minutes from Solvang.

We're Thousand Trails members, so we had pre-planned to leave our group a day early and spend two days at Rancho Oso, near Lake Cachuma. I'm glad we did. It was soooo quiet, peaceful and relaxing.

Don't think we'll be visiting Flying Flags again. I expect alot more for almost $80 a night.

Craig

Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Wow - glad to see I am not the only one with that opinion of that place. I was quite surprised at the price/quality. We had a "deluxe" site which meant weeds and mud out in the boonies. But, I suppose I didn't mind that much because we accomplished our mission - ebelskivers for breakfast two mornings in a row in Solvang!!

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ebelskivers for breakfast two mornings in a row in Solvang!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that sounds like something that would drive my doctor nuts! Hope to come out sometime and try them myself.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
HillBilly, I have had class A, C, TT and 5ers and all have blind spots. Anytime we are backing, the copilot is out with the walkie-talkie. We pull up to a site and we BOTH get out and walk it to see how we will fit and what to watch for. If there is any potential for a problem on exiting, she is back out there with the radio to keep an eye on the what I can not see.

If I am alone, I will stop, get out and eyeball things a couple of time to see where I am fitting.

I have seen too many try to do the maneuvering without any help and it can get scary really fast.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
Nope, you are not alone Kev..
Haven't been there in years, but it sounds like it has not changed. Beck liked it because Firestone Vinyards was close by.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually Sacs, it isn't Firestone Vinyards I think about...everytime I hear Solvang...I think of the special cut amethyst we did not buy ...or tasting the food at AJ Spurs..Vaqueros Soup mmmMMMmmmm
MonacoMama

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #11

Having a spotter works only if you have a good set of hand signals and the spotter is in a place where they can be seen by the driver. After using the spotter system for a while, we then went to the cell phone each and on speaker phone system. This works much better, but then you must be sure to use the correct phrases and use the same ones all the time. Does OK when you are creeping back mean OK stop or OK come on back. When my wife says OK, I stop and honk the horn which means what do you really mean.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Working with a spotter also means the spotter is able to be trained to performed the tasks. Unfortunately, for me, this is not the case. I must back up using the mirrors and camera. After 30 years of doing this, I have a process of tasks that will allow me to back into a site, on the first try, 99.9% of the time.

When my grandson is with us, he is the spotter and does an excellent job.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lindsay Richards:
After using the spotter system for a while, we then went to the cell phone each and on speaker phone system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This might work ok, but not every couple carries two cell phones and there many campgrounds that we have visited where cell phone reception is sketchy or non-existent. I would hate to miss a "Stop" que from the DW because my call got dropped. I personally prefer FRS radios. I just bought a new pair from Costco that allow you to also monitor local weather bands.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:
I visited the Flying Flags in Buellton a few months ago and had the same opinion of the place. Nice, but cramped. I also paid for a 50amp hookup and it wasn't working and they didn't seem to care.

It is expensive and should be better for that price. Sorry you had the other misfortune and hope that the others DW will take a more active role in the future.
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds as if that CG would be a good candidate for a review in our Campground Reviews.