Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Marketing..No TV Commercials??

We had a discussion with friends the other night over commercials for the Super Bowl and thought about RV marketing. Other than seeing a few Airstreams in commercials lately, our question boiled down to…Why don't RV manufactures use commercials on TV for marketing? We have seen Dealers on TV that say they sell certain brands of RV's, but unlike cars, you don't see actual Winnebago, Newmar, Tiffin, Thor, etc. commercials. I'm sure there is a reason: maybe they don't need to, or there are commercials out there that I just haven't seen, or too expensive.
Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Since it costs 4 million dollars for a 30 second ad for the Superbowl we won't be seeing an RV ad I bet. Even "normal" spots on TV are now way expensive. RV manufacturers use much cheaper print ads. Since they sell more units due to word of mouth and seeing Rv sales lots full of pretty coaches there isn't a whole lot of reason to advertise. Helps keeps sales prices within reason for folks.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i agree, plus you dont really notice that honda or chevy driving down the road, but you sure do take a look at rv in front or coming up on /by you. an it dont matter if its brand new or seen its days.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Not many RV'ers would like to pay for the up-charges on new purchases of a RV to pay the high $$$$$ of TV ads. In addition RV's have a limited target market, where those paying 4 million for 30 seconds have a much broader target market viewing the Super Bowl.

Four million $ will pay for a lot of trade show costs all across the nation where the target market is more likely to be and can feel and touch the product.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
RV dealers are always changing brands and models of RV's. Every now and then I will see a TV ad for one of the local rather small RV dealerships, but that is about it. But I'm surprised the largest RV dealer in the area who is also a national company (Camping World) doesn't advertise on TV.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
RV dealers are always changing brands and models of RV's. Every now and then I will see a TV ad for one of the local rather small RV dealerships, but that is about it. But I'm surprised the largest RV dealer in the area who is also a national company (Camping World) doesn't advertise on TV.
Like above, see a few of the local dealerships, especially when they are having a large parking lot sale. Occasionally we get the no brand specific TV ads done by Go Rving. I think that a greater part of the answer on CW is that just about anybody who gets into RVing hears about CW by word of mouth or on line search for parts. Cheapest advertising going.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Here in the Tampa area I have seen a number of TV Camping World ads.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #8

First same reason you see a lot less local ads period then back in the day. It's now big national networks who basically broadcast the same thing for large markets or nationally. Gone are the days Network affiliates have local programming and news for example (Clowns were popular because cheap for example). As well more people are cord-cutting. People today "research" things online.

In advertising a lot of larger companies don't actually arrange advertising themselves they hire agencies. They approve the creative and purchase "views". The advertising agency recommends a strategy (mix of media/striping or continuous/regions/campaign length etc) and the customer OKs it. A company has control so if they hire an advant garde type agency and the company is traditional a lot of ideas may get nixed. As well RVs are a specialty product/"luxury" you either get it or you don't. There isn't too much of a grey area. People also use PVRs or IPTV (BBC iPlayer etc) and "zoom" through the commercials. RV companies probably don't see the advantage. As stated above in an RV high concentration market (FL) they may see merit. But in an area where you reach a small percentage not so much.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its all about the internet folks. My ad budget back in the day was filled with TV, radio and print. Today its 80% internet and email. Much more effective. Much cheaper and email is free. I went back to TV in a local market during the last six months and the ROI was terrible. When it comes to those manufacturer ads, the consumer pays for it. In the car business in any major metro area there is a fee added to the invoice of every car. The manufacturer collects it and used it to run those nice pretty ads. You can't negotiate it as it is truly a charge paid to the manufacturer and buried in the invoice. Like it or not your paying for it.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

For the NASCAR type fans Camping World advertises every race weekend with the truck races.
And a big hats off for them doing that. Thank you corporate America.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Its all about the internet folks. My ad budget back in the day was filled with TV, radio and print. Today its 80% internet and email. Much more effective. Much cheaper and email is free. I went back to TV in a local market during the last six months and the ROI was terrible. When it comes to those manufacturer ads, the consumer pays for it. In the car business in any major metro area there is a fee added to the invoice of every car. The manufacturer collects it and used it to run those nice pretty ads. You can't negotiate it as it is truly a charge paid to the manufacturer and buried in the invoice. Like it or not your paying for it.

You nailed it, I agree totally. Television is rapidly becoming an advertising medium of the past.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #12

I would rather they spend the money a TV add would cost on a better built RV. I don't watch much TV anymore. I look at RV's on the internet all the time though.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, times they are changing fast. I understand all the discussion here, and in our conversation, the internet was our reasoning why RV commercials (and a lot of other products) may not be cost effective anymore. The internet…well, thats a whole other discussion right? Sometimes I love it (when I researched our Winnie) and sometimes I hate it (identity theft…took two years to correct)
Thanks for all the replies..
Andi
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
In the car business in any major metro area there is a fee added to the invoice of every car. The manufacturer collects it and used it to run those nice pretty ads. You can't negotiate it as it is truly a charge paid to the manufacturer and buried in the invoice. Like it or not your paying for it.
That might explain why when I was getting quotes for my new tow vehicle, one dealer add a "extra advertising fee ($250)" and the other one didn't. My dealer who I bought from I never see ads for them in the local paper. I guess that was why they were very adamant about filling out the after sale survey.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote