Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

RV Mattress replacement

Anyone have comments about latex or memory foam mattress. If so, can you please give a preference and "why".
Internet research is all over the place with just not descriptions of each but also prices.
Looking to replace our factory mattress after 9 years of use. Not sure why we put up with it for this long.
Looking forward to your replies and a better night’s sleep!
RVwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #2

We have had 3 experiences replacing RV and boat mattresses with memory foam. The first RV mattress (10 years ago) we added a 4" memory foam topper. Very pleased with the results and do feel anything less than 4" is not adequate. Second, about 5 years ago we replaced a boat mattress with a 12" memory foam mattress. Results were even better. Finally, recently we replaced a very nice motorhome factory mattress with a 12" memory foam mattress. This one came from Sams Club and has multiple layers of different densities of foam. It is topped off with cool foam on the top. Extremely pleased with this retrofit. Everyone is different, however for us we see it as a quality of life improvement. After all you spend about 1/3 of your life in bed. Hope when you make a change you are as pleased as we have been with memory foam.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased our memory foam (13"?) from Costco at about $500. Is is an unbelievable upgrade from the original mattress.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Memory Foam Queen Search Results | Overstock.com, Page 1
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just replaced the original mattress with foam and made a very good choice. The original was springs and a bit of padding but you could feel the individual springs. Would always woke up stiff. The replacement is made up of multiple layers of different foam densities. The core is very dense and doesn't compress very much acting much like the old style springs but the effect is more like thousands of springs per square inch. The outer layer is soft foam which gives an overall cushion feel to the mattress like a pillow top. The end effect is you will sink in a bit then the various densities of the core will support you without feeling the wire springs and the soft/stiff/soft,,, feeling of the old style.

The foam will feel very firm and you might think too firm but you really need to sleep on it to understand the level of support it gives and how much more comfortable you will be.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the 9" memory foam mattress from overstocks.com and the only thing my wife doesn't like is it sleeps warm. I like it myself. We were limited to 9" because our bed is on the slide and it goes under the closet.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We've got a 4" memory foam topper we got from Costco. It's over the top of the original RV mattress. It's very comfortable for us and we wake up well rested. About 6" of our mattress slides up under the closet when the slide is in and the memory topper just squishes up without any problem. Don't forget to invest in good pillows. They can make or break a good nights sleep.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Speedracer makes a good point about ensuring width, length and height work with YOUR rv's limitation.... also consider weight as a mem foam is MUCH heavier than the original...

We tried the topper in our ,
first trailer (had to fold it back when slide is pulled in so it would fit under closet)
and in our 5th wheel and it just didn't do it, so we went to sleep experts and bought the same foam mattress we have at home so there is no difference in our sleep - LOVE IT !

(only issue with foam mattresses is that the er, ah, night time exercises take some adjustments )
Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwheels View Post
Anyone have comments about latex or memory foam mattress. If so, can you please give a preference and "why".
Internet research is all over the place with just not descriptions of each but also prices.
Looking to replace our factory mattress after 9 years of use. Not sure why we put up with it for this long.
Looking forward to your replies and a better night’s sleep!
As you know, mattresses are a highly subjective and personal choice. We like a foam mattress because we find them more comfortable than innerspring. Also, they come compressed so they are usually very easy to install in an RV. Just leave them in the packaging until inside, then open the packaging, place the mattress on the bed and let it expand.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
We replaced the mattress in our trailer with the queen size one from Costco. It came in a box and we brought it home in our car - then opened it up in the trailer (lucky break for us, as it just expanded into queen size instantly). We just put it on the plywood base. It is the most comfortable bed we have ever had!
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Pure, natural latex was the answer for me. IMO, with memory foam, you are sleeping with a LOT of chemical off-gassing. And I seem to sleep really hot on memory foam, don't know why.... So, been there, done that. Finally found a 3-inch thick piece of natural latex (the real deal) for a topper. Works really well, no reactions. I'm sure this choice would not be for everyone, but you might want to google latex mattress toppers (natural, not artificial). It's heavy, but extremely comfortable, always springs back and sleeps exactly the same after 6 years. That's my preference and my "why"....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #12

I did an article on our replacement of the original queen mattress with a "Latex" California King. ( 12 in wider ) The Latex is far superior to memory foam IMO. Cost far more but we plan to take it with us when we purchase the next MH.
Latex is far cooler in summer months and breaths much better than foam.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #13

For me there's no choice. I am allergic to Latex. If you are allergy prone, I would avoid latex as it is a contact allergy so the more exposure the more likely you are to develop an allergy.
Kayak32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a full XL -54X80. Very few choices out there.

Tags
replacement